Will Trump be Re-elected?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Will Trump be Re-elected?

Trump is more effective than people are willing to admit [ala Scott Adams] and will be re-elected.
24
37%
Hillary will run again in 2020, and thus Trump will beat her again.
3
5%
Trump will cause the GOP to lose one or both houses of congress in the mid-term elections.
6
9%
The Dems in congress will be so insufferable, Trumps wins by a small margin despite them.
15
23%
Trump will choose not to run for re-election, since he never really wanted the job anyway.
7
11%
Trump is a disaster and will lose by a landslide.
5
8%
Trump will not only lose, but will lose to a candidate so far to the left that people will wish he'd stayed.
3
5%
Other, please elaborate.
2
3%
 
Total votes: 65
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 am

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by flyingpylon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:04 pm

What I don’t understand is why even after 3 years, some people continue to take everything he says at face value. So much of Trump’s communication is simply posturing to eventually arrive at something more realistic or reasonable.
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2831
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by ochotona » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:09 pm

It's all posturing and tough talk until he wimps out / gives away the store to the adversary without getting anything in return for us.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4993
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by technovelist » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:18 pm

ochotona wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:09 pm
It's all posturing and tough talk until he wimps out / gives away the store to the adversary without getting anything in return for us.
Got an example?
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by stuper1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:23 pm

I'd love to see an example also.

On a different note, I think a lot of people dislike Trump because he's attacked various people say on Twitter. I recall somebody doing some checking on that and finding that Trump hadn't attacked anyone until he had been attached by them first, but when he does hit back, he hits back hard. Of course, you never hear it reported about the initial attack against Trump. I'm not from the east coast, but it seems to me that this is just your stereotypical New Yorker attitude. If somebody attacks you, then attack them back even harder. I say good for him, and I'm probably one of the least pugilistic type of people around. At least he's not a mealy mouthed wimp. If the American people don't like it, they can vote him out of office next year. I have my suspicions that more people like it than what some people realize.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4993
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by technovelist » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:25 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:23 pm
I'd love to see an example also.

On a different note, I think a lot of people dislike Trump because he's attacked various people say on Twitter. I recall somebody doing some checking on that and finding that Trump hadn't attacked anyone until he had been attached by them first, but when he does hit back, he hits back hard. Of course, you never hear it reported about the initial attack against Trump. I'm not from the east coast, but it seems to me that this is just your stereotypical New Yorker attitude. If somebody attacks you, then attack them back even harder. I say good for him, and I'm probably one of the least pugilistic type of people around. At least he's not a mealy mouthed wimp. If the American people don't like it, they can vote him out of office next year. I have my suspicions that more people like it than what some people realize.
Correct on all counts.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8657
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:27 pm

ochotona wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:09 pm
It's all posturing and tough talk until he wimps out / gives away the store to the adversary without getting anything in return for us.
Are you talking about N Korea?
Protests are erupting in Iran. It’s not just about gas prices.
Vanguard treasury money market now yields 1.73% compounded
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2831
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by ochotona » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:17 pm

N Korea
Bolton is out, Iran sanctions may go away
Getting kissy-face right now with Xi so stocks don't crash
Maduro still there
Mexico still isn't paying
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4993
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by technovelist » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:47 pm

ochotona wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:17 pm
N Korea
Bolton is out, Iran sanctions may go away
Getting kissy-face right now with Xi so stocks don't crash
Maduro still there
Mexico still isn't paying
Is N Korea not still talking with S Korea?
I don't know about Iran or Xi.
Maduro isn't our problem.
Mexico is helping reduce the severity of the invasion.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by stuper1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:59 pm

And who cares if Bolton is gone? He always seemed like a war-mongering psychopath to me, but that's not based on any substantive conversations that I've had with him. If the president decides that an advisor is no longer the right fit, he should get rid of him. Isn't that what the American people wanted when they voted for him?
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2831
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by ochotona » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:33 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:59 pm
And who cares if Bolton is gone? He always seemed like a war-mongering psychopath to me, but that's not based on any substantive conversations that I've had with him. If the president decides that an advisor is no longer the right fit, he should get rid of him. Isn't that what the American people wanted when they voted for him?
I don't think a quality attribute of a President is how readily he fires people who no longer fit his mercurial whims. Certainly the Constitution doesn't say anything about that.

The problem with Trump is that no one of quality is going to want to serve under him. You'd have to be a complete idiot / masochist to want to have him as a boss.

So it'll just be Trump alone in a room with a little red button.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by stuper1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:42 pm

That's your read of the situation.

My read is that the guy has made billions of dollars during his lifetime. Have you ever seen someone do something like that without being able to work with other people? We know oh so little about what really goes on in politics. Basically everything we get comes third- or fourth-hand and through a media filter.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4993
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by technovelist » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:47 pm

ochotona wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:33 pm
stuper1 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:59 pm
And who cares if Bolton is gone? He always seemed like a war-mongering psychopath to me, but that's not based on any substantive conversations that I've had with him. If the president decides that an advisor is no longer the right fit, he should get rid of him. Isn't that what the American people wanted when they voted for him?
I don't think a quality attribute of a President is how readily he fires people who no longer fit his mercurial whims. Certainly the Constitution doesn't say anything about that.
Actually the Constitution does say something about that, namely:

"The executive power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. " (Article II, section 1)

Of course there is more about how he is elected, who is eligible, appointments with the advice and consent of the Senate, and so on.

But none of that changes the fact that the powers of the executive branch are vested in him.
Legally, he is the executive branch, just as in England, legally the King is England.
Anyone who serves in the executive branch gets power only by delegation from the President.
Post Reply