Moderator: Global Moderator

technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by technovelist » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:13 pm

clacy wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:12 pm
Lol saving the middle class by bringing back jobs isn’t a risk.

It’s gotta be getting hard to be anti Trump by now isn’t it?
It is essentially impossible... unless you have TDS.
Don

Post by Don » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:24 pm

4.1% GDP. Unemployment at 3.9%.

Pretty, pretty, good.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:27 am

The economic expansion has been underway since 2009. I don't give much credit to Obama for that, and I certainly don't give much credit to Trump for not managing to end it yet. Job growth and wage growth have slowed since Trump's election, relative to the last 18 months of the previous regime. Unfortunately, tariffs could hasten the end of this economic cycle. But that's OK, we'll survive it fine.

Regarding reasons to dislike Trump, there are more every day. We've never seen an administration this corrupt. Fortunately, I have a lot of faith in the younger generations coming up. This looks like the last gasps of some angry old boomers that won't be around forever. Bring on the next generations! The U.S. will be fine. Trump will soon be a sad memory.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:44 pm

Desert wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:27 am
We've never seen an administration this corrupt.
You should check on the personal wealth of Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. Then compare that against what they did in practical terms to deserve that wealth. As far as I know neither of them invented a better mousetrap or ran multinational corporations. They're just bloviating politicians, but somehow they have accumulated immense wealth . . . makes one wonder.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:51 am

I'm with you on ol Bill, but Obama appears to have a decent accounting for his wealth. Writing books can be lucrative, apparently.

http://time.com/money/4439729/barack-ob ... -birthday/

Bill Clinton and Trump have some things in common: Grifters, serial adulterers, etc. But I still have to give Trump a huge edge in corruption. Clinton did provide tax returns, and didn't have the numerous financial ties to Russian money and money laundering that Trump and his people have. Also, Trump is a compulsive and habitual liar. He lies seemingly for sport. And his daily rate of lies is increasing recently.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fac ... 52f6605aa7
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Desert wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:51 am
I'm with you on ol Bill, but Obama appears to have a decent accounting for his wealth. Writing books can be lucrative, apparently.

snip - grifters, adulterers, etc...
I do a lot of reading. And I have read the Obama books.

Did you conclude that the book royalties were reasonable market compensation for the writing? I have read better - but I don't presume to understand the market.

I tend to be somewhat cynical and I always suspect that compensation to politicians for books, speeches, art sales, real estate deals and board seats are more graft than payment for value.

But, then again, I'm cynical.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:26 am

I do a lot of reading as well, and have read Obama's first book, back in 2005, I believe. It was pretty dry, if I remember correctly. And I agree, I wouldn't be shocked if I found out that politicians get larger book advances than regular folks.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:26 am

Nothing corrupt about that. Publishers probably know that people will read a former president's book, no matter how big a piece of shit it is. The same effect can be seen in TV, which will air anything featuring a Kardashian.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:52 am

Yeah. Once you reach a certain level of fame, for whatever reason, you can write a book or hit the "speakers circuit" and just rake it in for doing nothing other than bloviating.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:32 pm

I like the word "bloviate." It just sounds right.
bloviate
Bloviate is closely associated with U.S. President Warren G. Harding, who used it frequently and who was known for long, windy speeches. H.L. Mencken said of him, "He writes the worst English that I have ever encountered. It reminds me of a string of wet sponges; it reminds me of tattered washing on the line; it reminds me of stale bean soup, of college yells, of dogs barking idiotically through endless nights. It is so bad that a sort of grandeur creeps into it. It drags itself out of the dark abysm of pish, and crawls insanely up the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and doodle. It is balder and dash."
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... m=bloviate
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:18 pm

Desert wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:32 pm
It is so bad that a sort of grandeur creeps into it.
I can picture someone writing this about Trump's speaking style.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:09 pm

Xan wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:52 am
Yeah. Once you reach a certain level of fame, for whatever reason, you can write a book or hit the "speakers circuit" and just rake it in for doing nothing other than bloviating.
Except that nobody really cares about the book or the speech. It's simply a pretext for the quid pro quo that flows to the politician who understands who's in charge and who doesn't buck the system.