Trump as tragicomedy

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by Desert » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:51 am

I'm with you on ol Bill, but Obama appears to have a decent accounting for his wealth. Writing books can be lucrative, apparently.

http://time.com/money/4439729/barack-ob ... -birthday/

Bill Clinton and Trump have some things in common: Grifters, serial adulterers, etc. But I still have to give Trump a huge edge in corruption. Clinton did provide tax returns, and didn't have the numerous financial ties to Russian money and money laundering that Trump and his people have. Also, Trump is a compulsive and habitual liar. He lies seemingly for sport. And his daily rate of lies is increasing recently.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fac ... 52f6605aa7
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Desert wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:51 am
I'm with you on ol Bill, but Obama appears to have a decent accounting for his wealth. Writing books can be lucrative, apparently.

snip - grifters, adulterers, etc...
I do a lot of reading. And I have read the Obama books.

Did you conclude that the book royalties were reasonable market compensation for the writing? I have read better - but I don't presume to understand the market.

I tend to be somewhat cynical and I always suspect that compensation to politicians for books, speeches, art sales, real estate deals and board seats are more graft than payment for value.

But, then again, I'm cynical.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:26 am

I do a lot of reading as well, and have read Obama's first book, back in 2005, I believe. It was pretty dry, if I remember correctly. And I agree, I wouldn't be shocked if I found out that politicians get larger book advances than regular folks.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:26 am

Nothing corrupt about that. Publishers probably know that people will read a former president's book, no matter how big a piece of shit it is. The same effect can be seen in TV, which will air anything featuring a Kardashian.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:52 am

Yeah. Once you reach a certain level of fame, for whatever reason, you can write a book or hit the "speakers circuit" and just rake it in for doing nothing other than bloviating.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:32 pm

I like the word "bloviate." It just sounds right.
bloviate
Bloviate is closely associated with U.S. President Warren G. Harding, who used it frequently and who was known for long, windy speeches. H.L. Mencken said of him, "He writes the worst English that I have ever encountered. It reminds me of a string of wet sponges; it reminds me of tattered washing on the line; it reminds me of stale bean soup, of college yells, of dogs barking idiotically through endless nights. It is so bad that a sort of grandeur creeps into it. It drags itself out of the dark abysm of pish, and crawls insanely up the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and doodle. It is balder and dash."
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... m=bloviate
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:18 pm

Desert wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:32 pm
It is so bad that a sort of grandeur creeps into it.
I can picture someone writing this about Trump's speaking style.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Maddy wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:09 pm
Xan wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:52 am
Yeah. Once you reach a certain level of fame, for whatever reason, you can write a book or hit the "speakers circuit" and just rake it in for doing nothing other than bloviating.
Except that nobody really cares about the book or the speech. It's simply a pretext for the quid pro quo that flows to the politician who understands who's in charge and who doesn't buck the system.
I realized this with regards to speeches, but aren't book royalties pretty directly related to your sales? IOW, not nearly as much a hidden way of rewarding establishment politicians but actual public interest in the book?

Not that this interest isn't built on the ridiculous "hero-worship" of the American Presidency, and worthy of a different kind of skepticism, but it seems less-likely to be a result of obvious corruption.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:31 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:27 pm
Maddy wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:09 pm
Xan wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:52 am
Except that nobody really cares about the book or the speech. It's simply a pretext for the quid pro quo that flows to the politician who understands who's in charge and who doesn't buck the system.
I realized this with regards to speeches, but aren't book royalties pretty directly related to your sales? IOW, not nearly as much a hidden way of rewarding establishment politicians but actual public interest in the book?

Not that this interest isn't built on the ridiculous "hero-worship" of the American Presidency, and worthy of a different kind of skepticism, but it seems less-likely to be a result of obvious corruption.
I think often most of the money from these book deals comes as an advance.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:01 am

Not completely on topic, but I stumbled upon this speech from Mueller back in 2011. It's pretty interesting, given the current investigation into Russian influences.
But the playing field has changed. We have seen a shift from regional families with a clear structure, to flat, fluid networks with global reach. These international enterprises are more anonymous and more sophisticated. Rather than running discrete operations, on their own turf, they are running multi-national, multi-billion dollar schemes from start to finish.

We are investigating groups in Asia, Eastern Europe, West Africa, and the Middle East. And we are seeing cross-pollination between groups that historically have not worked together. Criminals who may never meet, but who share one thing in common: greed.

They may be former members of nation-state governments, security services, or the military. These individuals know who and what to target, and how best to do it. They are capitalists and entrepreneurs. But they are also master criminals who move easily between the licit and illicit worlds. And in some cases, these organizations are as forward-leaning as Fortune 500 companies.

This is not “The Sopranos,” with six guys sitting in a diner, shaking down a local business owner for $50 dollars a week. These criminal enterprises are making billions of dollars from human trafficking, health care fraud, computer intrusions, and copyright infringement. They are cornering the market on natural gas, oil, and precious metals, and selling to the highest bidder.

These crimes are not easily categorized. Nor can the damage, the dollar loss, or the ripple effects be easily calculated. It is much like a Venn diagram, where one crime intersects with another, in different jurisdictions, and with different groups.

How does this impact you? You may not recognize the source, but you will feel the effects. You might pay more for a gallon of gas. You might pay more for a luxury car from overseas. You will pay more for health care, mortgages, clothes, and food.

Yet we are concerned with more than just the financial impact. These groups may infiltrate our businesses. They may provide logistical support to hostile foreign powers. They may try to manipulate those at the highest levels of government. Indeed, these so-called “iron triangles” of organized criminals, corrupt government officials, and business leaders pose a significant national security threat.
https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/news/ ... ime-threat
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:12 am

boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:49 pm

^ how would that situation play out in England/Canada/France

Also, thats why im in the PP. Never know when you might need to drain it all.