School Shootings

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: School Shootings

Post by Maddy » Fri May 25, 2018 6:59 am

This is an aside, but I'm curious how so many kids these days are boasting grade point averages that exceed 4.0. In my day, that was mathematically impossible.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Fri May 25, 2018 7:51 am

Maddy wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 6:59 am
This is an aside, but I'm curious how so many kids these days are boasting grade point averages that exceed 4.0. In my day, that was mathematically impossible.
Are you saying this is the equivalent of a 'participation trophy' in its feel-good emotion? Because it is any thing but, IMO. It rewards kids in the Honors and AP classes with extra 'points' for taking harder classes and still earning A's.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri May 25, 2018 8:43 am

Maddy wrote:
I'm sure AP classes will continue, but depending on the college you are going to, many have become very selective in what they'll take for AP credit, either not crediting you, or only crediting if you got a 5 on the AP test.

For example, Notre Dame will take 31 hours of my daughter's AP credit, and a lot of that does not simply get you out of specific requirements... instead it "allows" you to take higher level classes in that requirement area.

U of I, alternatively, would have taken 48 hours, and she theoretically could go in as a second semester sophomore, credit-wise. Not that there's a push to finish college in less than 4 years.

It does open up a lot of options to be more flexible in the electives and classes you take, and nowadays, you cannot get into a top level school without having a lot of AP classes.

The whole 3/4/5 point ranking depending on type of class, if you ask me is overblown. I think it just helps create different social classes in the schools.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri May 25, 2018 9:57 am

pugchief wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:51 am
Maddy wrote:
Are you saying this is the equivalent of a 'participation trophy' in its feel-good emotion? Because it is any thing but, IMO. It rewards kids in the Honors and AP classes with extra 'points' for taking harder classes and still earning A's.
I've just never heard of such a thing. Back when I was in school, the nature and level of the class stood on its own. An "A" earned in an upper level or hard science class was naturally more meaningful to a college or potential employer than an "A" earned in a "survey" or "feel good" class. The transcript and field of study were thought to speak for themselves.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri May 25, 2018 10:12 am

Maddy wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:57 am
pugchief wrote:
Maddy wrote:
I've just never heard of such a thing. Back when I was in school, the nature and level of the class stood on its own. An "A" earned in an upper level or hard science class was naturally more meaningful to a college or potential employer than an "A" earned in a "survey" or "feel good" class. The transcript and field of study were thought to speak for themselves.
There's nothing stopping somebody from looking at the transcript and evaluating it just that way. But the point of the Grade Point *Average* is to quickly get an idea of the student's performance in a single number. Yes, that's always leaving information out.

Without the +1 "bump", there's a risk of trashing your GPA for taking Honors/AP classes, and no advantage to it. I think the +1 bump makes the GPA more useful rather than less.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri May 25, 2018 10:30 am

Maddy wrote:
pugchief wrote:
Maddy wrote:
Ditto. My High School graded on the percentage scale. Highest possible was 100% which required 100% on all tests and homework, and perfect attendance in the specified class. College was on the 4.0 maximum scale.
Rev 22:6-21
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri May 25, 2018 10:38 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:30 am
Maddy wrote:
pugchief wrote:

Ditto. My High School graded on the percentage scale. Highest possible was 100% which required 100% on all tests and homework, and perfect attendance in the specified class. College was on the 4.0 maximum scale.
I suppose that due to The Great Leveling, there's been a need for ever more creative ways to distinguish those students who truly have achieved something above and beyond.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:40 pm

Maddy wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:38 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Maddy wrote:

I suppose that due to The Great Leveling, there's been a need for ever more creative ways to distinguish those students who truly have achieved something above and beyond.
Odd how for you every problem boils down to "DAMNED LIBRULS!"

To the bullying topic...

I remember the kids that bullied others in school. Most of them are Trumpers if FB is an indicator. I also remember the kindest folks. Most of them are libruls.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri May 25, 2018 12:53 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:40 pm
Maddy wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:

To the bullying topic...

I remember the kids that bullied others in school. Most of them are Trumpers if FB is an indicator. I also remember the kindest folks. Most of them are libruls.
Wow, that's a telling post! Seems to me it's YOU, Moda, who just took the shoe and wore it.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:56 pm

Maddy wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:53 pm
moda0306 wrote:
Maddy wrote:

To the bullying topic...

Wow, that's a telling post! Seems to me it's YOU, Moda, who just took the shoe and wore it.
Are you saying I'm engaging in bullying with that post?

Or are you saying that I'm saying I'm doing what I'm accusing you of but labeling conservatives as the culprit?
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:12 pm

There are kind people and rotten people on all points of the political spectrum.

The thing that switched me from being a liberal to a conservative was basically realizing the wisdom in the old story about giving a man a fish to feed him for a day or teaching him to fish to feed him for a lifetime. To me, big government is more about giving out fishes each day, while smaller government is more about helping people realize that they need to learn how to fish.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri May 25, 2018 2:02 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:56 pm
Maddy wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:53 pm
moda0306 wrote:

To the bullying topic...

Are you saying I'm engaging in bullying with that post?

Or are you saying that I'm saying I'm doing what I'm accusing you of but labeling conservatives as the culprit?
Well, first of all, I didn't say, or even imply, anything about "LIBRULS." That the public school system has been the focus of the sweeping social experiment I termed "The Great Leveling" is wholly beyond dispute. Although people may disagree about the wisdom of that effort, there isn't any doubt about the fact that the public system has gone out of its way to close the gap between high and low-achieving students, and that this effort has impaired the objectivity and usefulness of grading.

It is you who made the purely gratuitous association between that fact and liberalism. As it happens, I don't disagree with that attribution inasmuch as public education has unquestionably been the playfield of left-leaning (and in many instances FAR-left-leaning) academics with an indisputably political agenda. However, nothing in my post (or this thread) has anything to do with politics, so your kneejerk reaction said a lot more about your prejudices than mine. And then for you to make the startling, and nearly instantaneous, leap to Trumpism, and the connection between bullying and Trumpism. . . Well, I think this is what they mean by "hoist on your own petard."

P.S. You might have just as easily have interpreted my comment as expressing skepticism of the achievements of the four-point-plussers, as PugChief apparently did. One thing I still can't figure out, though: Would that have made me a liberal?
Last edited by Maddy on Fri May 25, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.