Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Brita faucet filters

Post by jafs » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:23 pm

Hey,

Does anybody have any experience with the Brita faucet filters?  I know they don't filter everything out, and you have to change the filters about every 3 months.  But they seem very reasonably priced, and should improve the taste/odor and filter out some bad stuff, if they work as advertised.

Thanks in advance for any feedback  :D
Last edited by jafs on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Brita faucet filers

Post by dualstow » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:02 pm

I use the pitcher filters by Brita. Once upon a time, I tried a faucet filter, PuR brand I think, and they kept falling off.
Now we have these big faucet heads, almost like a showerhead, and are sticking with the pitcher filters.

This is a timely post because we have a chance to replace our lead water main at the same time as a neighbor and are thinking to have our water tested first.
ethnic: "pagan, heathen," Greek ethnikos ".. national," from ethnos "band of people living together, nation, people, tribe, caste,"..Earlier in English as a noun, "a heathen, pagan, one who is not a Christian or Jew" (c. 1400)
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Brita faucet filters

Post by jafs » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:20 am

Wow - nobody has any experience with these?
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:41 am

I've never used a Brita filter, but recently I've been doing a lot of research on water filters generally.  From my reading, I've gathered that the Brita filters are pretty much bottom-of-the-line and intended primarily to improve the taste of water rather than to remove any real nasties.  There are some very good filters out there, but the technologies vary greatly in terms of what they're able to remove.  The logical approach would be to get your water tested and determine exactly what you've got, then choose a filter optimally suited for that.  I'm on a well, so I couldn't care less about fluoride, chlorine, and volatile organic compounds, whereas agricultural byproducts (coliform bacteria, nitrate) and natural metals are always potential concerns.  Your situation may be quite different.  Do you know what you're trying to filter out?  Have you looked at the Big Berkey or Doulton filters?
Last edited by Maddy on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We are on the verge of a global transformation; all we need is the. . . right major crisis. . . and the nation will accept the. . . new world order." David Rockefeller (1994)
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:08 am

I agree, it's not high level as far as what it takes out.

We're mostly concerned about odor/taste - that's why I'm not looking at the more expensive stuff right now.  But according to the ads, the Brita does take out some nasty stuff.
2thefuture

Post by 2thefuture » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:12 am

Jafs .... You may find the info Scott Hunt has @ https://www.youtube.com/user/engineer775/playlists to be helpful.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:13 am

I have used Brita filters and they do improve the taste.

At home I have a Big Berkey, which is supposed to take out a lot more crap.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:01 am

Thanks - did you use the ones that attach to the faucet?

If so, how well did it work?  Some reviews say that it doesn't attach very securely, which tends towards leaks, and that it greatly reduces the non-filtered water (although I'm not sure that makes much sense, given the design).
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:26 pm

jafs wrote: Thanks - did you use the ones that attach to the faucet?

If so, how well did it work?  Some reviews say that it doesn't attach very securely, which tends towards leaks, and that it greatly reduces the non-filtered water (although I'm not sure that makes much sense, given the design).
I think we tried the faucet type and didn't like it, although I can't remember the details because it was some time ago. I used the pitcher type successfully.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:27 pm

technovelist wrote: At home I have a Big Berkey, which is supposed to take out a lot more crap.
Looks good. I might have to get that instead of new Brita filters.
ethnic: "pagan, heathen," Greek ethnikos ".. national," from ethnos "band of people living together, nation, people, tribe, caste,"..Earlier in English as a noun, "a heathen, pagan, one who is not a Christian or Jew" (c. 1400)
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:05 am

I can recommend a company that we have used of 15 or more years.  The price range is $200- $400 for a counter top system with replacement filters needed every 9 months or so.  Replacement filters might begin at $80.  As we average 3 gallons of water per day, we replace 2 filters every 9 months.  I think our replacement filters cost is $140, including shipping.

This is a ceramic filter system, not reverse osmosis.

The company was started by a retired chiropractor on Long Island, NY, who was concerned about cancer agents in the water supply.  THe company has since relocated to Florida.

I once used their ultra-violet treatment system to supplement the filtration process but decided that was over-kill, at least for now.  I had to plug the ultra-violet unit in.  Some other time, maybe.

You might conclude this system is pricey but it seems to work.

Let me know.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:21 am

When comparing different models, be sure and take account of the expected life of the filter elements.  Many models require the elements to be replaced fairly regularly, regardless of the amount of use, or else they become reservoirs of bacteria.  Also, note the difference between a "filter" and a "purifier" in terms of their ability to remove bacteria and viruses.

The Big Berkey is a "purifier," which when used with a black carbon block filter removes a wide range of bacteria and viruses.  That's a big deal to me because I draw from untreated groundwater.  However, even if you're on a city water system, I'd think it would be assuring to know that in a pinch you could run pond water or roof run-off through the thing and it would be perfectly drinkable.

The Berkey is extremely inexpensive to run when you consider the number of gallons you get per element and the fact that the elements can be cleaned and reused. 
"We are on the verge of a global transformation; all we need is the. . . right major crisis. . . and the nation will accept the. . . new world order." David Rockefeller (1994)