Moderator: Global Moderator

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by Mountaineer » Fri May 18, 2018 8:41 am

thisisallen wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:35 am
Someone just recommended trying an ionic toothbrush. This article explains about it. Not many companies are selling it , and all from Japan. Anyone ever have success with this?

http://www.holistic-healing-information ... ushes.html
So how does the tooth surface retain its positive charge long enough to be effective? I don't think the mouth (and body) are perfect insulators.
Alleluia!  Christ is risen! He is risen indeed! Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them (believers), and they will be his people. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat May 19, 2018 6:48 pm

It's really not that hard. Just stop eating carbohydrates.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK8259/

It balances the PH in your mouth (tartar, decay) and starves S mutans. (caries)
thisisallen

Post by thisisallen » Sun May 20, 2018 9:40 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 6:48 pm
It's really not that hard. Just stop eating carbohydrates.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK8259/

It balances the PH in your mouth (tartar, decay) and starves S mutans. (caries)
Mark, isn’t that like “robbing Peter to pay Paul” because carbs have good benefits also, especially if you’re a vegetarian.
Using Xylitol mints or gum will create more saliva in your mouth to help keep the bacteria from damaging the teeth.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:10 pm

Of the four macro nutrients, Fat (9c/g) Alcohol (7c/g) Carbohydrates (4 c/g) Protein (4 c/g)

Only fat and protein are essential. Alcohol and carbohydrates are decent fuel - tasty and will keep you alive and happy - just slightly poisonous and disastrous to your liver, skin, teeth and arteries. 100% optional. The teeth and gums are the canary in the coal mine. If you are having trouble with caries or periodontitis, then you have crossed the carbohydrate line. There is no other answer - back off.

I do like carbs and alcohol, so I consume my share now and then. But I don't pretend that either are good for me in any way.

Some bourbon now and then. Some sticky rice now and then. Damn fine. But not essential.

Eggs and hamburger and free weights and hill climbing cover everything you need to live a completely healthy (and dentist free) life. A margarita and a taco will add some fun to that healthy life. But if you have too many you'll be handing some of your portfolio over to pugchief - who is a decent guy and deserves all of the money you give him.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:37 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:10 pm
Of the four macro nutrients, Fat (9c/g) Alcohol (7c/g) Carbohydrates (4 c/g) Protein (4 c/g)

Only fat and protein are essential. Alcohol and carbohydrates are decent fuel - tasty and will keep you alive and happy - just slightly poisonous and disastrous to your liver, skin, teeth and arteries. 100% optional. The teeth and gums are the canary in the coal mine. If you are having trouble with caries or periodontitis, then you have crossed the carbohydrate line. There is no other answer - back off.

I do like carbs and alcohol, so I consume my share now and then. But I don't pretend that either are good for me in any way.

Some bourbon now and then. Some sticky rice now and then. Damn fine. But not essential.

Eggs and hamburger and free weights and hill climbing cover everything you need to live a completely healthy (and dentist free) life. A margarita and a taco will add some fun to that healthy life. But if you have too many you'll be handing some of your portfolio over to pugchief - who is a decent guy and deserves all of the money you give him.
Thanks.

I wish it was as simplistic as you make it out to be, but there are many complex factors that contribute to tooth and gum issues besides carbs and alcohol.

Just curious where you get your fiber from if you aren't eating any carbs other than occasional sticky rice? You'd have to eat a boatload of the right veggies to get the recommended quantity. Btw, I thought your preferred alcohol was red wine with your steak?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:30 pm

pugchief wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:37 am
Just curious where you get your fiber from if you aren't eating any carbs other than occasional sticky rice? You'd have to eat a boatload of the right veggies to get the recommended quantity. Btw, I thought your preferred alcohol was red wine with your steak?
Wine or bourbon or rum - depending on where in the world I am. It's hard to get decent wine in the tropics.

The popular belief that dietary fiber is somehow necessary for gut health is just another fallacy. I've had minimal to none over the last 10 years.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:40 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:30 pm
pugchief wrote:
Wine or bourbon or rum - depending on where in the world I am. It's hard to get decent wine in the tropics.

The popular belief that dietary fiber is somehow necessary for gut health is just another fallacy. I've had minimal to none over the last 10 years.

Mark,

Agree 100% on the fiber. I have been the same. I used to seek it out >10 years ago because of the assumption it was good for you and helped you poop better (my main intended use, sorry TMI). A couple magnesium supplements work a shitload (pun intended) better, and get more magnesium in your system, which many are lacking.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:40 pm
Mark Leavy wrote:
pugchief wrote:

Mark,

Agree 100% on the fiber. I have been the same. I used to seek it out >10 years ago because of the assumption it was good for you and helped you poop better (my main intended use, sorry TMI). A couple magnesium supplements work a shitload (pun intended) better, and get more magnesium in your system, which many are lacking.
Corto, How much magnesium do you take, and on what dosing schedule?
thisisallen

Post by thisisallen » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:54 pm

As we know, the Japanese eat Allota rice. Yet they have some of the longest lifelongevity in the world. How do the no fiber gurus understand that phenomenon?
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:22 pm

On the subject of magnesium. . . A friend recently mentioned that she had been soaking her feet in epsom salts and finding it an effective remedy for muscle cramps in her feet. My ears perked up because I've recently been plagued with intractable foot and leg cramps at night which have been noticeably relieved by taking a cal-mag supplement (and conversely made worse when I stop the supplement). A couple of days ago, my wrist gave out in a painful way. I have no idea what happened because I was still in bed and did nothing more ambitious than pull the bedsheets up around my chin. As the day went on, the pain became worse, and by early afternoon my wrist was useless and my entire forearm was aching badly. I got to thinking: What possibly could have caused this--an entrapped nerve? Or possibly a spasm of a small muscle somewhere inside my wrist? The more I thought about it, the more I liked the muscle spasm thesis--so much that I went and bought a box of epsom salts, dissolved it in a plastic pitcher of water, and stuck my forearm in the solution for about 30 minutes. An hour or two later, the pain was entirely gone. Not scientific, I know, but one hell of a coincidence.

BTW, my friend also mentioned that soaking her feet in epsom salts (magnesium) has made her sleep much better.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:23 pm

thisisallen wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:54 pm
As we know, the Japanese eat Allota rice. Yet they have some of the longest lifelongevity in the world. How do the no fiber gurus understand that phenomenon?
Do you really think steamed white rice has a lot of fiber? Carbs, yes. Fiber, no.

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:31 pm

pugchief wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:51 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:40 pm
Mark Leavy wrote:

Mark,

Corto, How much magnesium do you take, and on what dosing schedule?
Generally three 200mg Mag Citrate pills, one at each meal (but I don't eat breakfast, so in the morning...). Been doing it for 9 years. I cannot attest to other related benefits, such as relaxation, reducing muscle cramps, etc. But for the original main searching for me, (again TMI...), with a family history of constipation, and having tried every form of fiber on the planet, literally, Metamucil, Citrucel, Inulin, every form of high fiber cereal, Fiber One bars, prunes, boatloads of water, etc., magnesium is a miracle worker. Not an issue in 9 years.

Ever since then I have taken every diet and health related claim of doctors and so-called experts with a big grain of salt.

The other big one is cholesterol and statins, I am sure we have a topic somewhere on that....