Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by dualstow »

Xan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:26 pm

The trick is that with phones, that doesn't really tell you what's actually running. The list of "running apps" there is a set of screenshots. It's certainly possible that some or all of them have actually been suspended in the background.
Thank you, Xan. is

Code: Select all

Settings > System > Developer options > Running services
the best option? Anything easier?
Edit: I don’t even see Developer Options on my phone.
Did your WSJ password get hacked recently?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

P.S. These instructions seem the same as what I do
https://support.google.com/android/answ ... close-apps

I had forgotten about this, but just going to settings (per the instructions above) shows you active apps at the bottom left of your phone- at least, in the version I’m running. Here’s a screenshot from my own phone:

(wait..I should probably crop out my wifi…)
IMG_7895.jpeg
IMG_7895.jpeg (87.35 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
yankees60
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by yankees60 »

dualstow wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:15 am
vnatale wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:01 am I don't even know how to shut off my Music Player so I just restart my phone when I'm done using it.
A lot of actions are done with swiping these days and I sometimes don’t get it on the first try.
I’m on an phone running Android 14 aka ‘Upside Down Cake’.

If I swipe from the bottom of the screen, that takes me to a bunch of apps that are open or at least in recent history and probably still running in the background.
↳ you don’t have to be on your home screen when you do this, but if you’re not good at swiping, it may help.

Once you have these apps showing, you can drag your finger left and right to see what’s there. If you want to close something, like your music player, put your index finger on it and without letting go, quickly swipe up to close it. Then continue to gently drag right or left, skipping the apps you want to leave open.

(I only shut my phone down in movie theatres, since mine doesn’t have that nifty physical AUDIO_OFF switch that iphones sport. ‘Course, I don’t go to movie theaters anymore, anyway. Mine closed).
Mine is a 2021 Motorola and looks like it tops out at Android 11?

For me, when I'm home, it's only a last resort for me if it does something I cannot do on this computer. I've solved the vexing texting issue by using Google Messages which allows me to do all the texting via this computer (which is directly tied into the texting on my phone).

So since it so infrequently gets use it's easy enough for me to just restart.

When I do text on the phone I am super grateful for talk to text because otherwise I only have a 1/3 success rate at hitting the correct letter when doing it manually. Auto fill when manually typing is also quite nice.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Yeah, Messages for Web (SMS typed in your browser) is a wonderful thing. I keep that tab pinned.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Wing Wednesday today. It's going to be a good dinner.

;D
PP
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

So, uh, sharing an NSFW thing that the missus discovered.

While she was giving me the gluck gluck 9000, her smartwatch registered our "activity" as 800 steps on the pedometer function.

Fun fact. ^-^
PP
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

😂
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

What percentage of the activity, i.e. 800 steps, was in the first several minutes (seconds?) vs. the final few? Data driven minds are curious. 😱
“If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people he gave it to.” —Dorothy Parker
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Mountaineer wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:24 pm What percentage of the activity, i.e. 800 steps, was in the first several minutes (seconds?) vs. the final few? Data driven minds are curious. 😱
More of the activity was near the end.

;D ;D ;D
PP
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

What junk food have you eaten lately, Smithers? I want to live vicariously.
Doesn’t have to be store bought snacks. Can include French toast and things like that.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:47 am What junk food have you eaten lately, Smithers? I want to live vicariously.
Doesn’t have to be store bought snacks. Can include French toast and things like that.
The missus and I have recently fallen in love with a popular fairground food: sponge toffee. It's known under a few different names like honeycomb toffee and cinder toffee.

We've had trouble finding a reasonably priced place to buy more (so we can avoid amusement park markups). But finally we would a little British candy shop that's not too far from our place.

Get some today, man! Mmmmmmm.

PP
yankees60
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by yankees60 »

Smith1776 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:47 pm
dualstow wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:47 am What junk food have you eaten lately, Smithers? I want to live vicariously.
The missus and I have recently fallen in love with a popular fairground food: sponge toffee. It's known under a few different names like honeycomb toffee and cinder toffee.

We've had trouble finding a reasonably priced place to buy more (so we can avoid amusement park markups). But finally we would a little British candy shop that's not too far from our place.

Get some today, man! Mmmmmmm.

{ image }
For some reason it looks familiar to me even though my sugar eating days ended nearly 40 years old. Until then I was a sugaraholic.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:47 pm ...
Mmm, looks good. Don't think I've ever had any nor even heard of the stuff.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Most people have seen the stuff at fairs, amusement parks, and the like, at least once in their lives.

Crunchie Bars actually have sponge toffee in them, but the artisanal stuff is quite a bit better (more flavour and better texture).

Now, on to my second coffee for the day!
PP
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Put not thy faith in toffee, nor coffee, nor ……….. 😉
“If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people he gave it to.” —Dorothy Parker
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I just finished clearing up the dedicated storage room we have in the house. All the boxes and clothing have been moved to the garage.

It's officially a man cave! It's much needed as a private area where I can occasionally get some space from everything and everyone.
PP
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Jealous. No garage here and a full basement. Definitely due for another junk hauler session this summer.
yankees60
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by yankees60 »

dualstow wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:41 am Jealous. No garage here and a full basement. Definitely due for another junk hauler session this summer.
My house is relatively small - about 900 square feet - but do have a 500 square foot garage - and a full 900 square foot basement. Everywhere has shelves and is packed with things.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

vnatale wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:51 am and a full 900 square foot basement. Everywhere has shelves and is packed with things.
🤤
That’s all I want really. I don’t need a fancy man cave. Just 900 sq ft, with my stuff.
On other hand the more stuff I get rid of, the less the wife will have to deal with when I take my dirt nap.
yankees60
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by yankees60 »

dualstow wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:18 pm
vnatale wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:51 am and a full 900 square foot basement. Everywhere has shelves and is packed with things.
🤤
That’s all I want really. I don’t need a fancy man cave. Just 900 sq ft, with my stuff.
On other hand the more stuff I get rid of, the less the wife will have to deal with when I take my dirt nap.
To be clear. It's not just the basement ... it's everywhere in the house, including basement and garage. I think I've prior disclosed here that there are 500 books in the bathroom? One day while sitting on the toilet I looked at the bathroom wall doing nothing and I said to it, "You are not doing enough work around here." Now it's doing its fair share!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Yes, you have. O0
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I just took one of those naps that you have after an insane workout and an awesome post-workout meal.

Oh my god it feels good.
PP
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Xan wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:17 pm

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxVb63x29P4
When they’re *all* toilet books … :D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

IMG_7933.jpeg
IMG_7933.jpeg (209.38 KiB) Viewed 1102 times