Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1346
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:29 pm

Day.... 14 of self-isolation?

I am playing through the game Uncharted 4 during lockdown.

As a PP investor the game has extra appeal since the whole object of the storyline has been to recover a lost pirate treasure of gold that amounts to some $400 million.

Also, Better Call Saul is an excellent show and spinoff of Breaking Bad.

My employer is paying all of us till April 26th, but is warning us of layoffs if the lockdown extends further than that. At this rate, and according to people like Bill Gates, it looks like an April reopening of the economy is no bueno.

If I do get laid off post April 26th, there's now a $2,000 per month economic relief benefit that people can apply for here in Canada.
25% KILO.B | 60% VCIP | 15% VVL/VMO/VVO/VLQ | 90 Days of Expenses Bank Cash | 5% of Net Worth Physical Gold & Silver Bullion
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3524
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by pugchief » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:32 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:29 pm
...according to people like Bill Gates, it looks like an April reopening of the economy is no bueno.
What exactly did he say? When does he expect the lockdown to end?
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1346
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:35 pm

pugchief wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:32 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:29 pm
...according to people like Bill Gates, it looks like an April reopening of the economy is no bueno.
What exactly did he say? When does he expect the lockdown to end?
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... istic.html

It was this article/video.

He goes into into a fair amount of detail regarding his thinking.
25% KILO.B | 60% VCIP | 15% VVL/VMO/VVO/VLQ | 90 Days of Expenses Bank Cash | 5% of Net Worth Physical Gold & Silver Bullion
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:35 pm
pugchief wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:32 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:29 pm
...according to people like Bill Gates, it looks like an April reopening of the economy is no bueno.
What exactly did he say? When does he expect the lockdown to end?
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... istic.html

It was this article/video.

He goes into into a fair amount of detail regarding his thinking.
When Bill Gates speaks, I listen! He DOES do his homework before he says anything. He's the anti-instinct decision maker!

VInny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3524
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by pugchief » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:48 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:35 pm
pugchief wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:32 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:29 pm
...according to people like Bill Gates, it looks like an April reopening of the economy is no bueno.
What exactly did he say? When does he expect the lockdown to end?
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... istic.html

It was this article/video.

He goes into into a fair amount of detail regarding his thinking.
When Bill Gates speaks, I listen! He DOES do his homework before he says anything. He's the anti-instinct decision maker!

VInny
Smith, thanks for the link. I agree with Vinny, it was an excellent interview. Also depressing.
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:56 pm

pugchief wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:48 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:35 pm
pugchief wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:32 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:29 pm
...according to people like Bill Gates, it looks like an April reopening of the economy is no bueno.
What exactly did he say? When does he expect the lockdown to end?
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... istic.html

It was this article/video.

He goes into into a fair amount of detail regarding his thinking.
When Bill Gates speaks, I listen! He DOES do his homework before he says anything. He's the anti-instinct decision maker!

VInny
Smith, thanks for the link. I agree with Vinny, it was an excellent interview. Also depressing.
I'd also add that I believe that Bill Gates is the type who Under Promises But Over Delivers compared to our politician prototype who Over Promises But Under Delivers.

I could not believe yesterday how self-congratulatory they were towards one another because for one of the rare times they acted like the rest of us do. Look at a problem and solve it rather than taking fixed, rigid positions because.....that's just what I believe.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:56 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:56 pm
pugchief wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:48 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:35 pm
pugchief wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:32 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:29 pm
...according to people like Bill Gates, it looks like an April reopening of the economy is no bueno.
What exactly did he say? When does he expect the lockdown to end?
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... istic.html

It was this article/video.

He goes into into a fair amount of detail regarding his thinking.
When Bill Gates speaks, I listen! He DOES do his homework before he says anything. He's the anti-instinct decision maker!

VInny
Smith, thanks for the link. I agree with Vinny, it was an excellent interview. Also depressing.
I'd also add that I believe that Bill Gates is the type who Under Promises But Over Delivers compared to our politician prototype who Over Promises But Under Delivers.

I could not believe yesterday how self-congratulatory they were towards one another because for one of the rare times they acted like the rest of us do. Look at a problem and solve it rather than taking fixed, rigid positions because.....that's just what I believe. And, Party must come first BEFORE country!

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1806
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:03 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:59 pm

Here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10180&start=108#p190813

Vinny
Thanks that is quite a teaser. I’ll be reading it.
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:20 pm

Which of you can identify who is in this picture? I nominate Dualstow for getting it first.

And, how many better ways could the virus be transmitted than by those water suppliers in the picture!!??

Vinny
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (50.42 KiB) Viewed 182 times
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:26 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:03 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:59 pm

Here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10180&start=108#p190813

Vinny
Thanks that is quite a teaser. I’ll be reading it.
On the first page I thought this is not going to be a good book. Why is he telling us about this random guy on the internet. Then the big twist.

I just finished the book tonight. It's one that deserves to be read more slowly and studied so as to put into practice what the book proscribes.

I decided I need to have a permanent reference copy. The copy I read was a library copy. So a short while ago I purchased a Kindle version. While I'm rereading it it will then allow me to send out excerpts of it to various places.

I saw a lot of descriptions in it where my organization is making errors of "intelligence" Hopefully, with this new found knowledge, I can assist in correcting those errors.

But primarily I read it to correct some of my own errors in thinking (something to which I'd guess Technovelist (and some others here) believes is WAY overdue!).

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:06 pm

Maddy wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:26 pm
Anyone see the clip of the Michigan legislator who begins shrieking like a crazed mental patient about CoVid-19 and who threatens, "You will see darkness!" https://www.zerohedge.com/political/you ... re-fueling
I think she’s the one Vinny was posting about this morning.
VENEZUELA: U.K. Judge Rejects Maduro’s Bid for Gold
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5962
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by technovelist » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:07 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:26 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:03 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:59 pm

Here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10180&start=108#p190813

Vinny
Thanks that is quite a teaser. I’ll be reading it.
On the first page I thought this is not going to be a good book. Why is he telling us about this random guy on the internet. Then the big twist.

I just finished the book tonight. It's one that deserves to be read more slowly and studied so as to put into practice what the book proscribes.

I decided I need to have a permanent reference copy. The copy I read was a library copy. So a short while ago I purchased a Kindle version. While I'm rereading it it will then allow me to send out excerpts of it to various places.

I saw a lot of descriptions in it where my organization is making errors of "intelligence" Hopefully, with this new found knowledge, I can assist in correcting those errors.

But primarily I read it to correct some of my own errors in thinking (something to which I'd guess Technovelist (and some others here) believes is WAY overdue!).

Vinny
I look forward with interest to your discoveries.
Post Reply