Getting Into Linux

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Getting Into Linux

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:52 pm

How many forums users here are regular Linux users? I've noted in some other threads that I've switched to Ubuntu Linux and am wanting to learn more.

What kind of learning resources or tips and tricks do resident experts here perhaps have to share?

Also, what can make switching from MacOS web development to Linux web development easier?

My biggest gripe so far is the lack of a turnkey backup solution like Time Machine in MacOS. Also, there is no Microsoft Visual Studio Code, so I've elected to use Atom as my IDE. It's not as good, though.

Hopefully, once I'm truly comfortable with Linux I will no longer be hostage to expensive Apple hardware.

Please, share your Linux wisdom with me!
PP: 20% KILO.B | 5% SBT.B | 60% VCIP | 15% VVL/VMO/VVO/VLQ
VP: 100% XGD
Liquidity: 90 Days of Expenses Bank Cash
Physical Bullion: 5% of Net Worth Gold & Silver
Knucklehead (noun): Someone who knows the expense ratio of everything but the value of nothing.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Getting Into Linux

Post by Tortoise » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:14 pm

I'm not a Linux expert, but I worked mostly in a Linux environment for three years at one of my previous jobs.

I found the book The Linux Command Line by Shotts to be quite helpful as a basic introduction to the environment. Got me up and running.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:15 pm

Found a copy.

https://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/images/c/ca/TLCL-13.07.pdf

Thank you!

Edit: If I can truly become comfortable with Linux, my next laptop will definitely be one of those workstation Thinkpads. ;D ;D ;D
Knucklehead (noun): Someone who knows the expense ratio of everything but the value of nothing.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:20 pm

You can also get a job at a company that will give you a Mac. My job gives all of us engineers new MacBook Pro's, and replace it every 2 years. I'm up for upgrade here in a few months, looking forward to getting that new 16 inch MBP. All of our servers are either Linux or Windows, but we all develop on Mac's.
europeanwizard

Post by europeanwizard » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:10 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:52 pm
How many forums users here are regular Linux users?
Not on the desktop, but on the server, yes.
My biggest gripe so far is the lack of a turnkey backup solution like Time Machine in MacOS. Also, there is no Microsoft Visual Studio Code, so I've elected to use Atom as my IDE. It's not as good, though.
But that really is the story of Linux, in a nutshell... I fall back to the old command-line tools. Configure vim until it works as good as an IDE, for example, would be my solution here. The modern backup solutions right now seem to be Restic and Borg (if I remember correctly) but I don't have experience with either.
Hopefully, once I'm truly comfortable with Linux I will no longer be hostage to expensive Apple hardware.
No, but I noticed that with Linux, I invest time instead of money. Which kinda comes down to the same, at some point in your career :)

Still, it's incredibly freeing to be comfortable with Linux, and be able to just start a VM somewhere, buy a Raspberry Pi and configure it, etc.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:49 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:52 pm
How many forums users here are regular Linux users? I've noted in some other threads that I've switched to Ubuntu Linux and am wanting to learn more.

What kind of learning resources or tips and tricks do resident experts here perhaps have to share?

Also, what can make switching from MacOS web development to Linux web development easier?

Please, share your Linux wisdom with me!
I can't help you with most of that, but I use mksquashfs (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SquashFS-HOWT ... using.html) to back up my Linux installation.

Wouldn't it be nice if Microsoft ported Visual Studio to Linux? Stranger things have happened.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:07 am

By the way, why Linux instead of Windows?
One of the main reasons that most of my development is on Windows is that there isn't a Linux IDE nearly as good as Visual Studio.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:37 am

Thank you for your replies, guys. I'm currently playing with GNU Privacy Guard, generating public/private key pairs for encrypted messages. This stuff is hella fun.

Technovelist, I'm using Linux and have set my goal to make it my main operating system. Why? Because it's there. I want to master it. In particular, it seems to me that Linux is where it's really at when it comes to heavy metal computing. You know, like how major servers and infrastructure all seem to run on Linux. Additionally, I love the tools and customizability. The number of distros to play with means there's kind of a nerd playground. Finally, it seems if you want to have as private and secure computing as possible, Linux is the way to go. Looks like Edward Snowden likes the Tails distro.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about any of my impressions.

Thank you to both yourself and europeanwizard for the backup advice.
Last edited by Smith1776 on Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:41 am

As you guys can probably tell, I think I've had my fill of a few days of being lazy thanks to quarantine.

Finished a calculus assignment and an English essay tonight. Now I'm experimenting with Linux. '

No more TV for me. That binge watch list may have to wait till X-mas break. O0

P.S. Totally going to start growing a Linux beard.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:55 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:41 am
As you guys can probably tell, I think I've had my fill of a few days of being lazy thanks to quarantine.

Finished a calculus assignment and an English essay tonight. Now I'm experimenting with Linux. '

No more TV for me. That binge watch list may have to wait till X-mas break. O0

P.S. Totally going to start growing a Linux beard.
Are you still in school? I thought in the other thread you said you had started in 2008.
There's this very disturbing set of studies where about half the articles printed in Science and Nature magazines, the two leading publications, involved experiments that could not be repeated by anybody.
- Peter Thiel
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:37 am

technovelist wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:07 am
By the way, why Linux instead of Windows?
One of the main reasons that most of my development is on Windows is that there isn't a Linux IDE nearly as good as Visual Studio.
You can get Visual Studio Code on Linux, which can be configured to be a pretty good C# and SQL IDE (as well as being a really good Javascript IDE out of the box). Also, JetBrains Rider is on Linux. I prefer Rider to Visual Studio these days. It's basically like VS and Resharper in one, and unlike VS it's actually 64 bit so it isn't limited in the memory it can use so it runs much smoother. Highly recommend Rider, and it's available on all of the major OS.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:38 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:37 am
Thank you for your replies, guys. I'm currently playing with GNU Privacy Guard, generating public/private key pairs for encrypted messages. This stuff is hella fun.

Technovelist, I'm using Linux and have set my goal to make it my main operating system. Why? Because it's there. I want to master it. In particular, it seems to me that Linux is where it's really at when it comes to heavy metal computing. You know, like how major servers and infrastructure all seem to run on Linux. Additionally, I love the tools and customizability. The number of distros to play with means there's kind of a nerd playground. Finally, it seems if you want to have as private and secure computing as possible, Linux is the way to go. Looks like Edward Snowden likes the Tails distro.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about any of my impressions.

Thank you to both yourself and europeanwizard for the backup advice.
That is the why I use Linux and got away From Windows after XP.
There are some programs Windows runs that is not build for Linux, but with a VM Windows is all but a memory.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯