Immediate 5% across-the-board Mexican tariffs

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Immediate 5% across-the-board Mexican tariffs

Post by Xan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Not to speak out of turn, but it sounds like you should be at peace anyway. You have a plan, you know exactly what you're going to do, it's going to happen when it happens. Everything else is out of your control and not worth worrying about. The stock is worth what it's worth when it sells. The teeth-gnashing is pretty much pointless.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:16 am

Xan wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:02 pm
Not to speak out of turn, but it sounds like you should be at peace anyway. You have a plan, you know exactly what you're going to do, it's going to happen when it happens. Everything else is out of your control and not worth worrying about. The stock is worth what it's worth when it sells. The teeth-gnashing is pretty much pointless.
At least you're getting shares. And the price could be worse later. I got a big award of SLB in 2012, then it went to $100 in 2014, I vested in early 2015 and I sold it at $83, and that "loss" just upset me. Well... many years later... SLB is $34.94, so I'm satisfied how it turned out.
shekels

Post by shekels » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:35 am

It is very frustrating when your hands are tied and the market is going against you.. Before I retired, very recently, I was selling company stock down to zero percent of my 401 and rolled it to a interest only fund. I had seen many other employees before me that had kept company stock and were not able to retire when they wanted, because the stock was falling.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:52 am

It is done. I got my shares this morning and sold. Stock was down about .5%. So I sold for much less than I would have a few weeks ago, and about 4% less than I would have if I were to have sold on Friday. But it's good enough. I sold about 1% under the original grant value, so it's not the end of the world. I may also be able to make that back in the future if the stock appreciates for my future vestings. Either way, I feel relieved to have pulled some chips off the table.

EDIT: Looks like I sold just in time today, shares started selling really hard almost as soon as I hit the sell button. I was tempted to hang in for a bit to see if the market was going to rally, glad I decided to just click the button.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:06 am

All I can say to you guys who were ever actually able to pull money out of a stock vesting program but not as much as you hoped, boo hoo.

I have been at multiple startup tech firms, all stock vested was always completely underwater, companies went bankrupt, never went IPO.

Only one that did go IPO was Palm. Had my calculator out that day fantasizing on the money I just made. By the time they vested, all were underwater, never to go positive again, and our group got shut down 3 years later.

pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:13 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:06 am
All I can say to you guys who were ever actually able to pull money out of a stock vesting program but not as much as you hoped, boo hoo.

I have been at multiple startup tech firms, all stock vested was always completely underwater, companies went bankrupt, never went IPO.

Only one that did go IPO was Palm. Had my calculator out that day fantasizing on the money I just made. By the time they vested, all were underwater, never to go positive again, and our group got shut down 3 years later.
Startups are a gamble. You either win the lottery or you lose. People know the risks going in. I work for a profitable mid-cap tech company that is a household name and has been around for years. There's a big difference. My company is not a gamble over the long term. Matter of fact the very generous equity grant was one of the main reasons I chose this company over other prospects. It can get choppy in the short term though as it is a very high beta stock.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:15 am

pmward wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:13 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:06 am

Startups are a gamble. You either win the lottery or you lose. People know the risks going in. I work for a profitable mid-cap tech company that is a household name and has been around for years. There's a big difference. My company is not a gamble over the long term. Matter of fact the very generous equity grant was one of the main reasons I chose this company over other prospects. It can get choppy in the short term though as it is a very high beta stock.
Palm should have been Apple. That's my only regret. They owned the market. "Palm Pilot" was referenced everywhere. Our team was put together to get the first Palm phone together. But there was so much management BS and fighting between groups internal to Palm we never got the chance and just did another couple of series of regular PDAs.

Palm had the Palm App Store years before Apple and Android. Everything was in place to be out there with a phone years before the iPhone. It's sad. I should be a gazillionaire. ;D
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:36 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:15 am

Palm should have been Apple. That's my only regret. They owned the market.
Ditto Blackberry. At least you can be thankful you didn't go there next. :D
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:22 am

Yeah, palm really did drop the ball on that one...
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Looks like Mexico made a deal with the U.S. to avoid the tariff.

Maybe Trump actually knew what he was doing.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:57 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:15 am
Palm had the Palm App Store years before Apple and Android. Everything was in place to be out there with a phone years before the iPhone. It's sad. I should be a gazillionaire. ;D
Could you repeat that? I didn't hear you, as I was busy trying to get my MySpace page up and running.
don’t the b-heads know that Pyrex just isn’t made by Corning anymore?
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:31 pm
Looks like Mexico made a deal with the U.S. to avoid the tariff.

Maybe Trump actually knew what he was doing.
Great.

Now how long before some federal judge blocks the whole thing again?