The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8665
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by dualstow » Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 pm

pugchief wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:34 pm
Oprah called out for not paying off students' loan debt
Oprah Winfrey responded Monday to an Instagram user who called out the billionaire mogul for not paying off student loans after her commencement speech at Colorado College, in an apparent comparison to investor Robert Smith's now-famous gesture
...
Disgusting, but absolutely expected. ::)
Vanguard treasury money market now yields 1.73% compounded
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3179
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by sophie » Wed May 29, 2019 8:16 am

This one is even more true to the title of this thread:

https://nypost.com/2019/05/22/ocasio-co ... lonialism/

Hilarious, this one. AOC of course is welcome to try to grow yucca, a desert plant, in a steamy, wet tropical NYC community garden. Someone needs to show her the Burpee zone map.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by jacksonM » Wed May 29, 2019 10:26 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 pm
pugchief wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:34 pm
Oprah called out for not paying off students' loan debt
Oprah Winfrey responded Monday to an Instagram user who called out the billionaire mogul for not paying off student loans after her commencement speech at Colorado College, in an apparent comparison to investor Robert Smith's now-famous gesture
...
Disgusting, but absolutely expected. ::)
I'm thinking wealthy people might start thinking twice before agreeing to be a college commencement speaker.
User avatar
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8177
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by moda0306 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:44 am

jacksonM wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:26 am
dualstow wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 pm
pugchief wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:34 pm
Oprah called out for not paying off students' loan debt
Disgusting, but absolutely expected. ::)
I'm thinking wealthy people might start thinking twice before agreeing to be a college commencement speaker.
Because of an "Instagram user?"

Come on guys you're really reaching now.

In other recent news, democrats ridiculed on Twitter for breathing. ::)
User avatar
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3794
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by Mountaineer » Wed May 29, 2019 2:03 pm

I guess she was looking for some free yucca. ;)

https://babylonbee.com/news/ocasio-cort ... r-anything
Romans 1:16-32
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2883
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by pugchief » Wed May 29, 2019 3:40 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:03 pm
I guess she was looking for some free yucca. ;)

https://babylonbee.com/news/ocasio-cort ... r-anything
That was hilarious! And sadly, not far from reality.
User avatar
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3794
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:51 am

Romans 1:16-32
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8665
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:29 am

moda0306 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:44 am
jacksonM wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:26 am
I'm thinking wealthy people might start thinking twice before agreeing to be a college commencement speaker.
Because of an "Instagram user?"

Come on guys you're really reaching now.
Not really. Bitter contempt for the rich is widespread on the Left. It doesn’t even matter if you made your money honestly. You’re a robber baron and deserve the business end of a pitchfork.
It’s not one instagram user.
Vanguard treasury money market now yields 1.73% compounded
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8665
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:31 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:51 am
Apologizing for Manwich. . .

http://pastoralmeanderings.blogspot.com ... nwich.html
This one, I agree with. They need to call it a Man-Warlock. >:D
Vanguard treasury money market now yields 1.73% compounded
User avatar
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8177
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by moda0306 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:41 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:29 am
moda0306 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:44 am
jacksonM wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:26 am
I'm thinking wealthy people might start thinking twice before agreeing to be a college commencement speaker.
Because of an "Instagram user?"

Come on guys you're really reaching now.
Not really. Bitter contempt for the rich is widespread on the Left. It doesn’t even matter if you made your money honestly. You’re a robber baron and deserve the business end of a pitchfork.
It’s not one instagram user.
Then let's post evidence that it's widespread rather than one Twitter user. Christ can't you see what a pathetic example that is? Especially more-so than at anytime in the past, such as when "the left" took over whole cities via general strikes in the 1870's, if anything there's a stark lack of class consciousness among the left... in favor of race/gender/sexual identity. And things like advocating for universal healthcare and high marginal income taxes have been around since the early 20th century. They are hardly "contempt." Come on guys I know Trump is president but let's lift our collective knuckles off the ground and start using actual evidence rather than Twitter posts by moronic Z-lennials.

You don't think there are vast swaths of the right that are similarly vindictive towards foreigners, minorities, "libruls!," etc? Of course there are. But if I wanted to show there was a mass trend of disgusting reactionary views I'd have to post more than a Twitter post of some Faux-News-jaded Baby Boomer.

What % of the left would you say have "bitter contempt" for "the rich?" I'd probably put it at 10% of the country (maybe 25% of what you could consider "the left" at best). Others simply have progressive ideas with "contempt" for only certain types of rich people (intellectually dishonest ones that try to drive public policy to their benefit). What kind of disgusting views would you find on the most reactionary, "contemptuous" 25% of "the right." Well I've seen it all over central MN and other pockets and it's pretty pathetic at best and disgusting at worst. So if you want to compare those, I'll bite, but Twitter is trash evidence, and "the left" is hardly a unique source of moronic contempt in this country.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8665
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:15 am

(Moda) Come on guys I know Trump is president but let's lift our collective knuckles off the ground and start using actual evidence rather than Twitter posts by moronic Z-lennials.
But that’s who I am primarily referring to, moronic Z lennials. There are a lot of them, and social media is their platform. What am I going to interview them on the bus? Perhaps you and I see the same thing, but we are just reacting differently.
You don't think there are vast swaths of the right that are similarly vindictive towards foreigners, minorities, "libruls!," etc?
I do. I am very much a moderate & a centrist.
What % of the left would you say have "bitter contempt" for "the rich?" I'd probably put it at 10% of the country (maybe 25% of what you could consider "the left" at best).
Hard to say. An optimist would point out that the most extreme voices are the loudest, and the non-complaining voices are often, by definition, silent. Like the vocal anti-American protestors at the US embassy in S Korea. There are pro-American rallies, but they don’t really make the news.
Vanguard treasury money market now yields 1.73% compounded
User avatar
shekels
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 am

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by shekels » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:27 am

moda0306 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:41 am
dualstow wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:29 am
moda0306 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:44 am


Because of an "Instagram user?"

Come on guys you're really reaching now.
Not really. Bitter contempt for the rich is widespread on the Left. It doesn’t even matter if you made your money honestly. You’re a robber baron and deserve the business end of a pitchfork.
It’s not one instagram user.
Then let's post evidence that it's widespread rather than one Twitter user. Christ can't you see what a pathetic example that is? Especially more-so than at anytime in the past, such as when "the left" took over whole cities via general strikes in the 1870's, if anything there's a stark lack of class consciousness among the left... in favor of race/gender/sexual identity. And things like advocating for universal healthcare and high marginal income taxes have been around since the early 20th century. They are hardly "contempt." Come on guys I know Trump is president but let's lift our collective knuckles off the ground and start using actual evidence rather than Twitter posts by moronic Z-lennials.

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there


I can't help but think when I read this quote that the IRS was always there to take their "FAIR SHARE". If you become wealthy or not.
Then that begs the question who gets to win life's lottery?
What do Christmas lights and Jeffrey Epstein have in common?
They don’t hang themselves.
Post Reply