Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Medical Mistakes Are Actually the Third Leading Cause of Death

Post by MachineGhost » Sat May 07, 2016 3:21 pm

[img width=800]http://i.imgur.com/rmLH4gU.jpg[/img]
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Medical Mistakes Are Actually the Third Leading Cause of Death

Post by Mountaineer » Sat May 07, 2016 3:23 pm

Actually, the leading cause of death is life.  ;)

... Mountaineer
I marvel at the creation - its beauty, its endurance, its complexity. I marvel that man can make complex things but is incapable of making even the simplest living organism - a blade of grass, a tree, an ant, an amoeba.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sat May 07, 2016 3:36 pm

I've learned never to trust a doctor, nurse, or health institution over my years. Everything must be verified and if there is any doubt one should vote with their feet and run away.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sat May 07, 2016 3:57 pm

Mountaineer wrote: Actually, the leading cause of death is life.  ;)
No, its ignorance, stupidity and/or corruption.

Seriously, why don't you just off yourself if you've got that mental attitude.  Jesus won't forgive you?  ::)
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sat May 07, 2016 4:06 pm

Reub wrote: I've learned never to trust a doctor, nurse, or health institution over my years. Everything must be verified and if there is any doubt one should vote with their feet and run away.
Great minds think alike!  :D

sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat May 07, 2016 7:17 pm

Oddly enough, the forced introduction of EHRs, "meaningful use" documentation, quality controls here there and everywhere, etc etc ad infinitum did nothing to solve the medical error problem.  In fact, they've made it worse.

The problem is that the "blame the doctor" strategy has not worked in the past and will not work now.  Medical staff are operating in an extremely complex and funding-starved environment.  Complex systems + human = risk of error.  It CAN be addressed but not by any of the methods currently being applied.

And when I say "funding starved" I mean it.  Money is swirling all over the place but it's not going to the right places.  If you'll recall I've explained in the past how pharmaceuticals and the various administrative bodies are the ones scooping it all up.  I see hospitals and practices cutting more and more corners every day to save $$.  Each new corner cut adds to the systemic risk.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones » Sat May 07, 2016 7:46 pm

The third leading cause of death in house fires is firemen. And their ignorance, stupidity and corruption.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Sat May 07, 2016 8:31 pm

... Mountaineer
That's actually true, and a pretty interesting philosophical discussion.  I'd put it slightly different:  the leading cause of death is birth. 
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter. 
- D.L. Moody

Diversification means always having to say you're sorry.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sat May 07, 2016 9:55 pm

And the leading cause of divorce is marriage!  ;D
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat May 07, 2016 10:02 pm

MachineGhost wrote:No, its ignorance, stupidity and/or corruption.
You mean "it's".
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun May 08, 2016 5:57 am

Desert wrote:

... Mountaineer
That's actually true, and a pretty interesting philosophical discussion.  I'd put it slightly different:  the leading cause of death is birth.
Before birth, or an afterbirth?  ;)

... M
I marvel at the creation - its beauty, its endurance, its complexity. I marvel that man can make complex things but is incapable of making even the simplest living organism - a blade of grass, a tree, an ant, an amoeba.
curlew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by curlew » Sun May 08, 2016 11:41 am

I never even heard of nephritis so I had to look it up. I guess it's inflammation of the kidneys and a primary cause is an allergic reaction to antibiotics or other medications or long term use of medications. So that one doesn't look so good for the practice of medicine either.