Moderator: Global Moderator

l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: School Shootings

Post by l82start » Thu May 24, 2018 8:56 am

technovelist wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:35 pm
All school shootings have one thing in common: they take place in schools.

Thus, the solution to this problem is obvious: ban schools.

Note: school shootings, in fact all mass shootings, are extremely rare events. In the US, more people are killed by lightning each year, on average, than in all mass shootings in that year. So in fact this "school shooting epidemic" is nothing more or less than media-fueled hysteria.

Of course this doesn't mean that the Prussian factory-school system is anything but a tyrannical system of brainwashing, because it is exactly that. But not because of the nonexistent epidemic of school shootings.
plus 1
i just came across this article about literacy, that anyone who thinks public "education" isn’t built to dumb down the population may find informative..https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... ading.html
In a free society, the last refuge of the moron is tyranny.

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu May 24, 2018 9:04 am

As we speak, there stands a recent post in the comments section of a major online news page that ridicules the most recent shooter for being a "loser virgin." Is it really that hard to see what popped his cork? The progressive social engineers have created a generation of ferals.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Thu May 24, 2018 10:25 am

Maddy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:04 am
As we speak, there stands a recent post in the comments section of a major online news page that ridicules the most recent shooter for being a "loser virgin." Is it really that hard to see what popped his cork? The progressive social engineers have created a generation of ferals.

Just one post? That accounts for a large proportion of the comments I've seen on that event.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu May 24, 2018 12:02 pm

l82start wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:56 am
technovelist wrote:

Note: school shootings, in fact all mass shootings, are extremely rare events. In the US, more people are killed by lightning each year, on average, than in all mass shootings in that year. So in fact this "school shooting epidemic" is nothing more or less than media-fueled hysteria.

Of course this doesn't mean that the Prussian factory-school system is anything but a tyrannical system of brainwashing, because it is exactly that. But not because of the nonexistent epidemic of school shootings.
plus 1
i just came across this article about literacy, that anyone who thinks public "education" isn’t built to dumb down the population may find informative..https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... ading.html
Seems to me the writer is pushing a doom and gloom scenario which brings people to his website.

Quote "That was when our Education Establishment (most probably, I would suggest, influenced by Comintern subversives) abolished phonics and made children memorize words by their shapes. This approach has been a disaster, yet the public has been persuaded to accept it until this day."

My kids went through phonics, and I have not recognized any communist influence...! we read daily at home with them when young, and my younger one especially has 5+ books going at any one time.

My experience is exceptional, but typical of the area I am in. I have stated prior that I know this is not the case everywhere; take many Chicago public schools as an example.

I am sick and tired of the gloom and doom stuff peddled everywhere, for every facet of anything you care to be gloomy about. Schools, government, politics, deep state, religion (or lack thereof), climate change, etc, etc, etc.

In what way, please, has my kids' education dumbed them down? I've got one kid graduating this week, and going to Notre Dame, with a 4.57/4 GPA and 35 on her ACT. My other is going into high school with straight A's, plays two instruments, and is over 2 years ahead of where I was in math at the same grade level.

Yes, they have great parents (!), but they also spend the majority of their days in these commie run hell-hole schools. C'mon! Things are not that bad!

The majority of kids I know are good kids, smart and accepting of differences, not like the crap 30 years ago when every little difference was bullied. Is that brainwashing and dumbing down?
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Thu May 24, 2018 12:22 pm

Good points, Cortopassi, and congrats on your child's 35 ACT! Wow. Sorry to hear about going to Notre Dame though; I wondered why the beautiful Illini avatar was replaced with the ND one recently. :) Just kidding, as an Illini grad myself, I miss the Illini version.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu May 24, 2018 1:09 pm

technovelist wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:25 am
Maddy wrote:
Just one post? That accounts for a large proportion of the comments I've seen on that event.
Unfortunately, it's not just one. Just a brief glance at the comments accompanying that article revealed a number of crude remarks about everything from his weight to his acne. And unfortunately it's fairly representative of what many kids go through these days. I can only imagine.

Actually I don't have to imagine, because even in the late sixties and early seventies, when things were tame compared to today, I witnessed several school incidents that were profound enough in my mind to have stuck with me until today. There was a girl named Margot in the sixth grade who couldn't have been nicer, but she had a meek, studious look and wore glasses. One day, the popular girls thought it would be fun to make a gift to Margot of a hair barrette that they had found in a trash can. Margot took the gift graciously and thanked them sincerely--at which point they all burst out laughing. Today I wonder why I didn't step up and bash those girls' heads. I guess I was too worried about being the next target.

Another incident I have never forgotten occurred two years later, in eighth grade. By that time, the girls had become oh-so-very sophisticated, and the popular ones had become downright mean. Their target, that year, was a rather homely girl named Kathy, whose only crime was that she was immature, a little unkempt, and had bad skin. They tormented her endlessly. One day, I recall that Kathy went to her locker and found all of its contents strewn about the floor. A nearby group of girls laughed and jeered. Kathy must have been at her breaking point, because she sort of collapsed on the ground in tears and began banging her head on her locker. More laughter and jeering. I've never forgotten that incident but do wonder what became of Kathy and whether it was even possible for her to have a normal life after that.

Today, it's orders of magnitude worse. I really can't imagine how kids who are subjected to endless ridicule and humiliation make it into adulthood with any kind of intact self-concept. I suspect that many of them go through life angry, isolated, and perseverating over some kind of imaginary "Carrie" moment.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu May 24, 2018 2:04 pm

Maddy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:09 pm
technovelist wrote:
Maddy wrote:
Unfortunately, it's not just one. Just a brief glance at the comments accompanying that article revealed crude remarks about everything from his weight to his acne. And unfortunately it's fairly representative of what many kids go through these days. I can only imagine.

Actually I don't have to imagine, because even in the late sixties and early seventies, when things were tame compared to today, I witnessed several school incidents that were profound enough in my mind to have stuck with me until today. There was a girl named Margot in the sixth grade who couldn't have been nicer, but she had a meek, studious visage and wore glasses. One day, the popular girls thought it would be fun to make a gift to Margot of a hair barrette that they had found in a trash can. Margot took the gift graciously and thanked them sincerely--at which point they all burst out laughing. Today I wonder why I didn't step up and bash those girls' heads. I guess I was too worried about being the next target.

Another incident I have never forgotten occurred two years later, in eighth grade. By that time, the girls had become oh-so-very sophisticated, and the popular ones had become downright mean. Their target, that year, was a rather homely girl named Kathy. They tormented her endlessly. One day, I recall that Kathy went to her locker and found all of its contents strewn about the floor. A nearby group of girls laughed and jeered. Kathy must have been at her breaking point, because she sort of collapsed on the ground in tears and began banging her head on her locker. More laughter and jeering. I've never forgotten that incident but do wonder what became of Kathy and whether it was even possible for her to have a normal life after that.

Today, it's orders of magnitude worse.
The comment sections of virtually every article, everywhere seems to bring out the worst in some people. I have mentioned before that if I was in a hiring position and I saw comments like that from a candidate... goodbye.

You can literally go to an article about a 5 year old dying of cancer and there will be just plain stupid and mean comments from people.

The events you indicate above are terrible, and in line with some things I recall in high school in the 80s.

I am obviously well removed from high school, but on a day to day basis I see much more acceptance of differences than long ago. Sure, there are still the popular girl, athletic girl, nerdy girl groupings, but they still interact and are nice to each other. Again, it could just be me not experiencing it day after day in the situation.

Is it orders of magnitudes worse? I am not sure. I assume with social media it probably is when it happens, but to me the actual percentage/number of incidences seem to be much lower.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu May 24, 2018 2:06 pm

Desert wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:22 pm
Good points, Cortopassi, and congrats on your child's 35 ACT! Wow. Sorry to hear about going to Notre Dame though; I wondered why the beautiful Illini avatar was replaced with the ND one recently. :) Just kidding, as an Illini grad myself, I miss the Illini version.
I was sorry for a while as well, Champaign was in the cards for a while, but she thought it was too big. And better to be able to root for a school that actually wins!
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Thu May 24, 2018 7:43 pm

Maddy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:09 pm
technovelist wrote:
Maddy wrote:
Unfortunately, it's not just one. Just a brief glance at the comments accompanying that article revealed a number of crude remarks about everything from his weight to his acne. And unfortunately it's fairly representative of what many kids go through these days. I can only imagine.

Actually I don't have to imagine, because even in the late sixties and early seventies, when things were tame compared to today, I witnessed several school incidents that were profound enough in my mind to have stuck with me until today. There was a girl named Margot in the sixth grade who couldn't have been nicer, but she had a meek, studious look and wore glasses. One day, the popular girls thought it would be fun to make a gift to Margot of a hair barrette that they had found in a trash can. Margot took the gift graciously and thanked them sincerely--at which point they all burst out laughing. Today I wonder why I didn't step up and bash those girls' heads. I guess I was too worried about being the next target.

Another incident I have never forgotten occurred two years later, in eighth grade. By that time, the girls had become oh-so-very sophisticated, and the popular ones had become downright mean. Their target, that year, was a rather homely girl named Kathy, whose only crime was that she was immature, a little unkempt, and had bad skin. They tormented her endlessly. One day, I recall that Kathy went to her locker and found all of its contents strewn about the floor. A nearby group of girls laughed and jeered. Kathy must have been at her breaking point, because she sort of collapsed on the ground in tears and began banging her head on her locker. More laughter and jeering. I've never forgotten that incident but do wonder what became of Kathy and whether it was even possible for her to have a normal life after that.

Today, it's orders of magnitude worse. I really can't imagine how kids who are subjected to endless ridicule and humiliation make it into adulthood with any kind of intact self-concept. I suspect that many of them go through life angry, isolated, and perseverating over some kind of imaginary "Carrie" moment.
I was also bullied, including physically, in both grade school and high school. Both of these situations ended when I struck back at the bullies, but I understand how that wouldn't work for girls or even some boys.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu May 24, 2018 9:31 pm

I think the punch-equivalent for girls is "Your hair looks bad in that pixie cut, everyone is making fun of you" or similar.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Thu May 24, 2018 10:49 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:31 pm
I think the punch-equivalent for girls is "Your hair looks bad in that pixie cut, everyone is making fun of you" or similar.
Right, but they can't handle that by striking back in the same way because they are of low status in the first place, so their insults carry no weight.

My fist, however, was just as good as anyone else's to strike back physically.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri May 25, 2018 6:44 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:02 pm
l82start wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:56 am
technovelist wrote:

plus 1
Seems to me the writer is pushing a doom and gloom scenario which brings people to his website.

Quote "That was when our Education Establishment (most probably, I would suggest, influenced by Comintern subversives) abolished phonics and made children memorize words by their shapes. This approach has been a disaster, yet the public has been persuaded to accept it until this day."

My kids went through phonics, and I have not recognized any communist influence...! we read daily at home with them when young, and my younger one especially has 5+ books going at any one time.

My experience is exceptional, but typical of the area I am in. I have stated prior that I know this is not the case everywhere; take many Chicago public schools as an example.

I am sick and tired of the gloom and doom stuff peddled everywhere, for every facet of anything you care to be gloomy about. Schools, government, politics, deep state, religion (or lack thereof), climate change, etc, etc, etc.

In what way, please, has my kids' education dumbed them down? I've got one kid graduating this week, and going to Notre Dame, with a 4.57/4 GPA and 35 on her ACT. My other is going into high school with straight A's, plays two instruments, and is over 2 years ahead of where I was in math at the same grade level.

Yes, they have great parents (!), but they also spend the majority of their days in these commie run hell-hole schools. C'mon! Things are not that bad!

The majority of kids I know are good kids, smart and accepting of differences, not like the crap 30 years ago when every little difference was bullied. Is that brainwashing and dumbing down?
if your kids learned to read by phonics they are lucky, I am old enough to have been taught to read that way as well, the complaint is against the "memorisation of words by shape method" that leaves kids illiterate and creates a failure anxiety loop that all but kills the urge and ability to read. I (undoubtedly like your kids) also had intelligent parents who encouraged thinking, the article may be a bit doom and gloom but the statistics, which seem to be from reliable sources tell the same story. a common take on the Prussian education system is
originated in the early 18th century as a way to instill absolute obedience and uniformity in the students under the guise of education. What the students wanted and thought was irrelevant—the Prussian education system was there to teach them minimal literacy and indoctrinate them into believing in the infallibility of the supreme authority (Prussian King Fredrick William I at the time). The end result was a useful generic worker, readily replaceable and dispensable.
http://www.returnofkings.com/64892/why- ... ion-system* this was done to create obedient and unquestioning solders,workers (and in the us voters) something a classical education that has logic, reason and critical thinking as its foundation can never do..

* this is very far from being the best article on the topic (a quicky search was all i have time for this am) there are many more in-depth and reliable ones out there, but it has the basics with a dose of sjw hating thrown in.
In a free society, the last refuge of the moron is tyranny.

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence