Kids: Then and Now

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Kids: Then and Now

Post by pugchief » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:07 pm

Some of Fred's recent columns have left me wondering if he'd finally lost it, but then he comes out with one that is just so insightful.

https://fredoneverything.org/kids-then-and-now/
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Kids: Then and Now

Post by moda0306 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:51 pm

pugchief wrote:Some of Fred's recent columns have left me wondering if he'd finally lost it, but then he comes out with one that is just so insightful.

There are some really good gems in there. But like all of Fred's stuff, it's loaded with garbage.

I wish we could split the wheat from the chaff with some of these folks.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:20 am

Nice one pugchief. I think we've had threads on this topic. Fred emphasizes a few things at the expense of others, but I kinda agree with some of his points.

He hypothesizes that the ADHD epidemic is due to the over-regimented lives of kids (not just boys, Fred) who now have almost no opportunity for play and work experiences that engage the mind productively and provide a measure of independence. e.g. summer camp now vs. part time jobs and playing games in the street with neighbors then. And, perhaps, that the epidemic of medicating teenagers for behavior modification might have unforeseen consequences. Who'd a thought?? This is a real and legitimate concern.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:23 am

moda0306 wrote:
pugchief wrote:Some of Fred's recent columns have left me wondering if he'd finally lost it, but then he comes out with one that is just so insightful.

There are some really good gems in there. But like all of Fred's stuff, it's loaded with garbage.

Fred does not mention it, but I think another possible factor was when high schools changed from small to mega via consolidation. One or two bad apples in a small school does not form the critical mass that happens in a large school where there are enough bad apples to form a gang. Just a thought.

moda, what parts do you think are garbage? The article seemed to reflect my remembrance of my high school and college years pretty accurately - except my small high school (my graduating class had 52) was integrated but still had no racial issues - maybe the critical mass thing again.
The world removes God; the Word gives Christ.
The devil accuses us; the Word sustains faith.
Sin says live for self; the Word says live for others.

The right-hand statement gives fortification against the unholy trinity of the left-hand statement.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:32 am

Mountaineer wrote:
moda0306 wrote:

Fred does not mention it, but I think another possible factor was when high schools changed from small to mega via consolidation. One or two bad apples in a small school does not form the critical mass that happens in a large school where there are enough bad apples to form a gang. Just a thought.

moda, what parts do you think are garbage? The article seemed to reflect my remembrance of my high school and college years pretty accurately - except my small high school (my graduating class had 52) was integrated but still had no racial issues - maybe the critical mass thing again.
The parts that wreak of male (and white, I suppose) victimology... using hyperbolic language and defeatism. Feminists didn't destroy men... air conditioning, cubicles, Doritos and X-Box's destroyed men. Along with neo-liberal trade policies that allow capital to play labor players against each other, IMO. The "good ol' days" stuff doesn't resonate with me. The late '60's and early '70's were fraught with terrorism and crime compared to today, and that's just domestic, not counting the steady slaughter of southeast Asians during that time-period.

I was perhaps a bit harsh... as I realize that's how many Americans feel.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:45 pm

The rise of the welfare state in concert with feminism essentially destroyed the American black family. Most of the other stuff flows from that.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks for responding moda. But, as I told my children repeatedly, the choice is yours. No one (other than God) can make you into something you do not choose to allow. I too do not like the victim motif but also realize the "system" (e.g. the welfare state Tortoise mentioned) is a powerful influence that can wear one down if one allows it. Full disclosure, I do like Doritos and air conditioning. ;)
The world removes God; the Word gives Christ.
The devil accuses us; the Word sustains faith.
Sin says live for self; the Word says live for others.

The right-hand statement gives fortification against the unholy trinity of the left-hand statement.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:00 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Thanks for responding moda. But, as I told my children repeatedly, the choice is yours. No one (other than God) can make you into something you do not choose to allow. I too do not like the victim motif but also realize the "system" (e.g. the welfare state Tortoise mentioned) is a powerful influence that can wear one down if one allows it. Full disclosure, I do like Doritos and air conditioning. ;)
The welfare state is an embarrassingly small part of "the system." We are social creatures and I definitely agree we are influenced by our environment. I guess maybe we disagree what most of those environmental drivers are.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:40 pm

The author of the article probably lives in an ultra-liberal enclave, because here in the heartland, I don't see white male kids being put down at all. It smacks of victimhood. So ironic when you see the crowd of fine people currently ruling in the White House, a mansion partially built by slaves.

I've been in martial arts my whole life (44 years out of my almost 57), and I've noticed that kids today can't mount an attack worth sh**. They are disconnected from their physical bodies. They have spent too much time in video games, imagining themselves in first person shooter roles, or maybe virtual martial artist roles, but they literally can't tell left from right.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:27 pm

I kinda like the article, but that's probably because I'm an old fossil. Every generation thinks the younger generation is goin' to hell. My parents thought so when I was a kid, long years ago. Their parents thought the same. It's just a sign of aging.

Also, the article is obviously just an entertaining rant, devoid of any evidence. And that's my favorite kind of rant.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:28 pm

ochotona wrote:The author of the article probably lives in an ultra-liberal enclave, because here in the heartland, I don't see white male kids being put down at all. It smacks of victimhood. So ironic when you see the crowd of fine people currently ruling in the White House, a mansion partially built by slaves.

I've been in martial arts my whole life (44 years out of my almost 57), and I've noticed that kids today can't mount an attack worth sh**. They are disconnected from their physical bodies. They have spent too much time in video games, imagining themselves in first person shooter roles, or maybe virtual martial artist roles, but they literally can't tell left from right.
What brand of martial art?
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:31 am

First Judo, then Aikido. Per avatar