Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Eight more years?

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:38 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:19 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:03 pm
I believe part of the power of the presidency should be used to help reduce divisions. We are a melting pot of a lot of different views. We can try harder to get along, and getting nudged in that direction from the top can't hurt.
Mayor Ted Wheeler has been telling Portland's rioters (to paraphrase) "I feel your pain" the entire time they've been rioting, yet they still demanded his resignation, formed a mob outside of his condo building, launched fireworks outside of his window, and tried to set the building on fire.

That being the case, do you really think Trump would do any better than Wheeler by pleading with the rioters to play nice and hold hands? Do you think the BLM/Antifa rioters are sitting around watching CNN with bated breath to see what our country's leaders have to say about the riots?

You can't talk sense into wild animals on the attack. You round them up and put them in cages.
Why not treat this rioting with the kind of diplomacy we've tried for decades in the middle east? Use your power to get the politicians, Antifa, BLM and other group leaders together for a summit. Let them see if some reasonable compromise can be worked out.

If Jews and Arabs can at times try for peace, when they absolutely hate each other and actively kill and bomb each other, can't we try that among different groups of Americans? Trump has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for the recent middle east effort. Shit, if he can get that same thing to happen between the groups here, in America, I'd friggin nominate him.

I suspect your response is we don't negotiate with animals or something like that. Let's just lock them all away. Sure, that's one solution, but it will just be temporary until the next spark.

Just my opinion.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:49 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:38 pm
Why not treat this rioting with the kind of diplomacy we've tried for decades in the middle east? Use your power to get the politicians, Antifa, BLM and other group leaders together for a summit. Let them see if some reasonable compromise can be worked out.

If Jews and Arabs can at times try for peace, when they absolutely hate each other and actively kill and bomb each other, can't we try that among different groups of Americans? Trump has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for the recent middle east effort. Shit, if he can get that same thing to happen between the groups here, in America, I'd friggin nominate him.

I suspect your response is we don't negotiate with animals or something like that. Let's just lock them all away. Sure, that's one solution, but it will just be temporary until the next spark.

Just my opinion.
The "wild animals on the attack" that I mentioned in my previous post wouldn't be the ones at a political summit. They are the agitators who have committed violent crimes (arson, assault, etc.), which is why they should be locked up.

Violent agitators are a very tiny fraction of the population, but they are driving the vast majority of riots. So once they are locked up, the riots will largely fizzle out, and what we'll be left with are non-violent protests -- which most Americans are fine with.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:32 pm

Tucker began talking about parallels between today and the early part of the previous century. Found it quite interesting and I intend to look into it some more....

https://allthatsinteresting.com/anarchy ... 20America.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:55 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:38 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:19 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:03 pm
I believe part of the power of the presidency should be used to help reduce divisions. We are a melting pot of a lot of different views. We can try harder to get along, and getting nudged in that direction from the top can't hurt.
Mayor Ted Wheeler has been telling Portland's rioters (to paraphrase) "I feel your pain" the entire time they've been rioting, yet they still demanded his resignation, formed a mob outside of his condo building, launched fireworks outside of his window, and tried to set the building on fire.

That being the case, do you really think Trump would do any better than Wheeler by pleading with the rioters to play nice and hold hands? Do you think the BLM/Antifa rioters are sitting around watching CNN with bated breath to see what our country's leaders have to say about the riots?

You can't talk sense into wild animals on the attack. You round them up and put them in cages.

Just my opinion.
Yes, your idea would be great if it were possible.

However, Democrat politicians have no interest in discussing anything with Trump. All they do is vilify him when he offers a compromise, which he has done on numerous occasions, including on the DACA issue.

And antifa and BLM are even worse. They want to overthrow the government. What room is there to negotiate with them?

If I'm wrong, please tell us exactly what Antifa and BLM want that could possibly be the subject of negotiations.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:12 pm

The only negotiating table the Antifa/BLM rioters should be sitting at with the government is the one where their lawyers are plea bargaining for lighter sentences.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:31 pm

That's what the British said about our founding fathers as well. History is full of pissed off people in the street lashing out. I wish they would avoid targeting small folk....unfortunately a lot of dumbasses wrapped up in the movement
Last edited by doodle on Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:33 pm

doodle wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:31 pm
That's what the British said about our founding fathers as well.
The Founding Fathers would be rolling in their graves if they knew what was happening with Antifa/BLM.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:34 pm

Oppression? They might have some understanding Again, the targeting of small civilian business is bad move...
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:36 pm

Unfortunately the movement is lacking brains....although people have a right be fed up they need clear messaging and organization....same issue led to downfall of occupy wall street
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:43 pm

Also pugchief, I think your version of events leading up to revolutionary war is a bit too sanitized....tarring and feathering, destruction of private property, mobs in streets. I don't think founding fathers would be too surprised that citizens are up in arms in streets that modern aristocracy has made a sham out of our democracy.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:02 pm

There's absolutely no way the Founding Fathers would have been sympathetic to BLM/Antifa, seeing as how they were all racist Nazis. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:03 pm

doodle wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:43 pm
Also pugchief, I think your version of events leading up to revolutionary war is a bit too sanitized....tarring and feathering, destruction of private property, mobs in streets. I don't think founding fathers would be too surprised that citizens are up in arms in streets that modern aristocracy has made a sham out of our democracy.
No, you got it right several posts up. How does ruining the lives of small business owners (including black ones) further the cause of blacks?