The GOLD scream room

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3246
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:06 pm

My prognostication, Ukraine deintensifies yet again, and the markets go way green tomorrow and gold goes back to being unloved, at least for a day or two.

That has been SOP for years. Sure, it could change today.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1675
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by murphy_p_t » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:09 pm

That's of no consequence as gold / gdx has breaken out.
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3246
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:42 pm

murphy_p_t wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:09 pm
That's of no consequence as gold / gdx has breaken out.
Broken out of what? It was over $1960 in 2020?
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1675
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by murphy_p_t » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:25 pm

Year and a half correction completed.

https://twitter.com/Jhinster1/status/14 ... 6qSiA&s=19
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1675
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by murphy_p_t » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:42 pm

User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3246
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:01 pm

Murph, being a big time gold owner since 2008, I would like nothing better, but gold always digests gains, which it now seems to be doing. It seems exceedingly rare to have multiple up days in a row.

Image
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3246
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:08 pm

And while I sometimes think tech analysis and charting have some value, if gold drops tomorrow, the line will be redrawn like below, and your breakout moves to summer.

Image

And there was also I'm sure a previous chart that connected these two tops...so your breakout should have happened ~Nov 2021.

Just sayin

Image
User avatar
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1783
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm
Location: US Citizen, Permanent Traveler

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:31 pm

Thanks corto. I found this handy guide to interpret your chart.

dem bones.png
dem bones.png (406.63 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1675
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by murphy_p_t » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:38 am

Thank you for the reminder, which should temper my enthusiasm for precious metal sector at the moment
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 6:04 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by ppnewbie » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:33 am

I always have the opposite reaction when gold moves sharply. I get nervous. It feels like plate tectonics. It's so big and such an unseen part part of humanity. When it moves everyone is going to feel it.
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3246
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:10 am

Wow. Well, I think we can all say we are happy to be owning some gold recently...

Image
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 12652
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:02 am


There once was a fellow named Putin
He oft had a craving for lootin’
I wish I’d bought gold
When the war was still cold
Alas, he has started a-shootin’
let 2022 be the year of GOLD
The decision of one man to launch a wholly unjustified and brutal invasion of Iraq. I mean of Ukraine.” - W
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1675
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by murphy_p_t » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:12 pm

Come for the investment commentary, stay for the poetry!
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3246
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:13 pm

If anyone didn't expect this, you haven't been tracking gold long enough.

Image

Image
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 12652
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by dualstow » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:34 pm

The Nasdaq is up 1%. The market is far more resilient these days.
No flight to quality, no long-term climb for gold. Well, there’s a slow climb.
let 2022 be the year of GOLD
The decision of one man to launch a wholly unjustified and brutal invasion of Iraq. I mean of Ukraine.” - W
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2534
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:55 pm

I must have this watch.

8E8A193C-C348-4A23-AB28-9AB5380F2539.png
8E8A193C-C348-4A23-AB28-9AB5380F2539.png (3.98 MiB) Viewed 1276 times
https://youtu.be/JS0C-aJ-bAU
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 6:04 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by ppnewbie » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:54 pm

Nice - that’s my new favorite watch
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3246
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:12 am

I am imagining all the newbie gold owners going, wait, what the hell, a country was invaded and gold is down? ;) ;) ;)

Image
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 6:04 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by ppnewbie » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:38 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:12 am
I am imagining all the newbie gold owners going, wait, what the hell, a country was invaded and gold is down? ;) ;) ;)

Image
Yikes! I am much more comfortable when gold moves slowly over the course of years. I don't think we are going to have that luxury in 2022.
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2534
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:52 pm

This part in bold is a big reason why the naysayers, well, nay. They don’t get that currency crises arise from seemingly out of nowhere and transpire extremely quickly. They simply aren’t captured in most traditional return data sets used by the likes of Morningstar etc.

75806B68-B497-4FC6-9BB6-514DD9231AC8.jpeg
75806B68-B497-4FC6-9BB6-514DD9231AC8.jpeg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 1139 times
https://youtu.be/JS0C-aJ-bAU
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7013
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:15 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:52 pm

This part in bold is a big reason why the naysayers, well, nay. They don’t get that currency crises arise from seemingly out of nowhere and transpire extremely quickly. They simply aren’t captured in most traditional return data sets used by the likes of Morningstar etc.


75806B68-B497-4FC6-9BB6-514DD9231AC8.jpeg


Obviously from Dalio's book?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2534
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:17 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:15 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:52 pm
This part in bold is a big reason why the naysayers, well, nay. They don’t get that currency crises arise from seemingly out of nowhere and transpire extremely quickly. They simply aren’t captured in most traditional return data sets used by the likes of Morningstar etc.


75806B68-B497-4FC6-9BB6-514DD9231AC8.jpeg
Obviously from Dalio's book?
Correct!

I really love the book. It’s honestly so enlightening and insightful. At least, I think it is.

It’s really a blueprint for global macro investing. There are PP vibes throughout the tome, don’t you think?
https://youtu.be/JS0C-aJ-bAU
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7013
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:22 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:17 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:15 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:52 pm

This part in bold is a big reason why the naysayers, well, nay. They don’t get that currency crises arise from seemingly out of nowhere and transpire extremely quickly. They simply aren’t captured in most traditional return data sets used by the likes of Morningstar etc.


75806B68-B497-4FC6-9BB6-514DD9231AC8.jpeg


Obviously from Dalio's book?


Correct!

I really love the book. It’s honestly so enlightening and insightful. At least, I think it is.

It’s really a blueprint for global macro investing. There are PP vibes throughout the tome, don’t you think?


Didn't some here accuse Dalio of stealing some of Harry's ideas without giving proper attribution?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2534
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:26 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:22 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:17 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:15 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:52 pm
This part in bold is a big reason why the naysayers, well, nay. They don’t get that currency crises arise from seemingly out of nowhere and transpire extremely quickly. They simply aren’t captured in most traditional return data sets used by the likes of Morningstar etc.


75806B68-B497-4FC6-9BB6-514DD9231AC8.jpeg
Obviously from Dalio's book?
Correct!

I really love the book. It’s honestly so enlightening and insightful. At least, I think it is.

It’s really a blueprint for global macro investing. There are PP vibes throughout the tome, don’t you think?
Didn't some here accuse Dalio of stealing some of Harry's ideas without giving proper attribution?
Yeah, some guy. 😆😆😆
https://youtu.be/JS0C-aJ-bAU
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7013
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:40 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:26 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:22 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:17 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:15 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:52 pm

This part in bold is a big reason why the naysayers, well, nay. They don’t get that currency crises arise from seemingly out of nowhere and transpire extremely quickly. They simply aren’t captured in most traditional return data sets used by the likes of Morningstar etc.


75806B68-B497-4FC6-9BB6-514DD9231AC8.jpeg


Obviously from Dalio's book?


Correct!

I really love the book. It’s honestly so enlightening and insightful. At least, I think it is.

It’s really a blueprint for global macro investing. There are PP vibes throughout the tome, don’t you think?


Didn't some here accuse Dalio of stealing some of Harry's ideas without giving proper attribution?


Yeah, some guy. 😆😆😆


Was it you??!!!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Post Reply