American Eagle or Canadian Maple Leaf?

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: American Eagle or Canadian Maple Leaf?

Post by ochotona » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:18 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:12 pm
Did you have any systematic way of apportioning? Like 75% of purchases of one and 25% for the other? Or, has it been more haphazard?

Thanks

Vinny
jacksonm2 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:03 pm
I have some of both, but mostly American Eagles.
I figure I should have enough ETF to do my first major rebalance when I hit the rebalance band. I have 75% physical. Beyond that there's no predicting.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:11 pm

From what I have gathered you pay a premium on buying the Eagle but you also get a premium when you sell it. I've not yet acquired enough information to determine if they come out the same in the long run or buying and selling one or the other is superior.

Vinny
jacksonm2 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:08 pm
vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:12 pm
Did you have any systematic way of apportioning? Like 75% of purchases of one and 25% for the other? Or, has it been more haphazard?

Thanks

Vinny
More haphazard than systematic, to be sure.

Bought mostly Eagles until one day I thought it would be cool to buy some other kinds and Maple Leafs were my choice.
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
geaux saints
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by geaux saints » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:11 pm

If it were me, I would go with the lowest premium one ounce coin I could find. Better to take the lower premium now than hope for a higher one on resale.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:30 pm

I've looked at the buy / sell prices over a number of years over a number of dealers, and the Eagles are always the round-trip losers. That said, I probably will never buy another coin, and will be buying ETF AAAU in the future, now that there is no longer any commission to buy it.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:14 am

ochotona wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:30 pm
I've looked at the buy / sell prices over a number of years over a number of dealers, and the Eagles are always the round-trip losers. That said, I probably will never buy another coin, and will be buying ETF AAAU in the future, now that there is no longer any commission to buy it.
LOL. There are plenty of cost benefits of ETFs over physical, but $4.95 commissions was not one that made any difference.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:42 am

pugchief wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:14 am
ochotona wrote:
LOL. There are plenty of cost benefits of ETFs over physical, but $4.95 commissions was not one that made any difference.
I am so cheap
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:47 am

Really, Pug? It makes a difference to me. I don’t buy fractional coins because of the markup. Always one ounce. With gold ETFs, I wanted to dollar cost average, but paying $5 each time I buy, and for an instrument that doesn’t pay dividends, just doesn’t make sense to me.

With zero trading fees, I could spend less than the spot price (or more) total, and buy every week.
we have arrived at a situation in which well-intentioned liberal people often can’t bring themselves to say that lawless violence is wrong. —Gary Morson ,WSJ
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:42 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:47 am
Really, Pug? It makes a difference to me. I don’t buy fractional coins because of the markup. Always one ounce. With gold ETFs, I wanted to dollar cost average, but paying $5 each time I buy, and for an instrument that doesn’t pay dividends, just doesn’t make sense to me.

With zero trading fees, I could spend less than the spot price (or more) total, and buy every week.
DS, you misunderstood my point. When you figure in buy/sell spreads on physical* and markup, plus the cost of storage, insurance, etc, any ETF at .3% a year or less is saving you a ton of money, even with $4.95 commissions. I agree that if you are making many small purchases those $5 dings add up, but consolidating to, say, once per quarter gives you DCA and costs $20/year and just doesn't compare to the costs of physical.

There are some advantages to physical over ETFs, but cost is not one of them.

*(btw Ocho, you talk about MOC orders to avoid the spread of a couple of cent on ETFs while not concerning yourself on the insane spread on coins?)
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:26 pm

Yeah, if AAAU existed while I was buying coins, I'd have bought a lot fewer coins. My buying wound down just as AAAU was launching. Can't do anything about that now. No further action until a rebalance band is hit, and I'm using the wide ones. It will be years before I do anything else with gold or gold ETFs.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:46 pm

pugchief wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:42 pm
I agree that if you are making many small purchases those $5 dings add up, but consolidating to, say, once per quarter gives you DCA and costs $20/year and just doesn't compare to the costs of physical.

There are some advantages to physical over ETFs, but cost is not one of them.
For sure.
we have arrived at a situation in which well-intentioned liberal people often can’t bring themselves to say that lawless violence is wrong. —Gary Morson ,WSJ
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:07 pm

ochotona wrote:
You have no concerns with AAAU's relative tiny size compared to the much larger EFTs ahead of it?

Vinny
Last edited by vnatale on Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:47 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:07 pm
ochotona wrote:
You have no concerns with AAAU's relative tiny size compared to the much larger EFTs ahead of it?

Vinny
ZERO concerns about size. ETFs that are destined for the woodchipper struggle to grown past $10-$20 million. AAAU has quickly grown to ten times that size.