BYND

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: BYND

Post by pmward » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:33 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:43 pm
pmward wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:10 pm
Aside from that, eating some fermented foods like yogurt, sauerkraut, bubbies pickles, etc can definitely help as well.
+1 on Bubbies sauerkraut and pickles. If the only sauerkraut you've had is the pasteurized, non-refrigerated stuff found on grocery store shelves, you're missing out. It's not cheap considering it's just cabbage, water and salt but it sure is tasty. I used to love their bread & butter pickles too but my local store no longer sells them.
Yes I'm polish so I grew up with my grandma, who lived on a farm, always making home fermented sauerkraut and pickles with freshly picked vegetables. It was a staple in her house and I loved it so every time I would go visit she would send me home with jars of the stuff. So I was spoiled growing up and as such I've never liked the grocery store stuff. All it is is cabbage or cucumbers in vinegar. It's a completely different thing. Bubbies, while still not as good as my grandma's, do pass the pollack test, haha.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:27 am

I love sauerkraut as well. Polish grandmother, but she’s not the source.

Short squeeze - https://finance.yahoo.com/news/beyond-m ... 27573.html
ipo today
Venezuela’s Gold is Vanishing into Africa
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:05 pm

For people who are thinking meatless is the right choice, from market-ticker.org:
------------------------------------------
You gotta be kidding me.

Beyond Meat is, basically, pea protein (ok) and both coconut and canola oils.

Let's start with the pea protein. It's a complete protein (meaning all nine essential amino acids are in it) however one is deficient -- present, but very low (methionine.) Therefore it should not be your only protein source; that imbalance can be significant over time. If you're attempting to use this product as a meat replacement and otherwise eschew meat, that could be very bad news. If it's coupled with other meat sources, not so much, but then why use this garbage at all? Ok, enough with the pea protein since in general it's mostly-ok.

Canola oil, on the other hand, while not nearly as nasty as corn oil is still a vegetable oil product. The primary concern for all vegetable oils is that they are full of PUFA -- polyunsaturated fatty acids. There are two primary ones; Omega-3 and Omega-6.

Omega 3 is generally good and 6 bad. However, absolute quantity matters. Omega 6 tends to be very high in western diets, and it's implicated in inflammation and other systemic problems -- including metabolic disease (e.g. diabetes and related issues.) Never mind that the Omega 3 from plant sources -- including canola -- is almost-always worthless as it's ALA, which is nearly-impossible for the body to convert into DHA and EPA. The latter two are beneficial in your diet but are not found in vegetable sources; the former is not harmful but also not beneficial. So you get the Omega 6 without the benefit of the Omega 3. Meh.

As I have said repeatedly the amount of PUFAs you should ingest "neat", that is, not from consumption of actual raw vegetable sources, is zero.

Coconut oil is of course from a nut, not a vegetable. It has a lot of saturated fat in it, but you won't find me on the bandwagon that says that's bad. The evidence says the opposite. The bigger problem with all vegetable and nut oils is that they get materially worse when heated, and of course nobody heats the meat in a burger say, on a grill -- right?

Then there's "yeast extract"; the better name for this is MSG, but we don't want to call it that. Why not? Because plenty of people avoid MSG. I'm not on that particular bandwagon but some are, and guess what -- it's in there.

Then there's carrageenan. I'm not sold on the science here, but this is again one of those why **** with that sort of ingredient. It's used as a thickener and preservative and is widely found in processed foods. The problem? It's linked to all sorts of intestinal issues, some of them very nasty (like colon cancer!)

The issue is that when the substance (which is found in red seaweed) is processed with acids it degrades and the degraded form is a known problem. In fact the degraded form cannot be used in foods for this reason. Guess what's in your stomach? Uh huh -- powerful acids. While this stuff has been used as a food additive for a long time so have hydrogenated vegetable oils and we know what the science says on that after decades of lying about the "health benefits" of such oils.

Want to eat a chemistry set? Be my guest.

Hard pass here; I'll take the cow thank you very little.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:38 pm

(Corto)Want to eat a chemistry set?
Nah, just want to hold the stock, though I do partake
now and then to give the cows a break.
ipo today
Venezuela’s Gold is Vanishing into Africa
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:09 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:05 pm
For people who are thinking meatless is the right choice, from market-ticker.org:
------------------------------------------
Pardon me while I go to my nutritional counselor for some investing advice. O0