GLDM - 0.18 exp. ratio 'Gold minishares'

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
portfolyness
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:16 pm

GLDM - 0.18 exp. ratio 'Gold minishares'

Post by portfolyness » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:18 pm

Between GLDM, IAUF, and AAAU it seems a number of different gold products are getting wheeled out to help get money into gold again. Noticed this today http://spdrgoldshares.com/media/GLD/fil ... mation.pdf - apparently GLDM got listed yesterday (Jun 26th)

Seems like an interesting alternative to IAU. If I'm understanding things right so far there's:

GLDM - 0.18 exp. ratio, still reading to see what the catches are.
IAU - 0.25 sponsor fee - is this calculated the same as the expense ratio?
GLD - 0.4 exp. ratio
SGOL - 0.39 exp. ratio
PHYS - 0.46 exp. ratio
IAUF - 0.31 exp ratio - fairly new, really uncertain about it's 25% allocation though.
AAAU - new, not listed yet.

Yes I know there's differences in how whether the gold is allocated/unallocated/allows for delivery.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7425
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: GLDM - 0.18 exp. ratio 'Gold minishares'

Post by dualstow » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:17 pm

A couple of these are brand new to me. Thank you.
de-fang the snake, said my filipino kali instructor. Shortly after that, he hit me in the head with a rattan stick.
— Desert, 2016 (Nomad clothing thread)
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:40 am

Re: GLDM - 0.18 exp. ratio 'Gold minishares'

Post by boglerdude » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:54 am

Id pay a premium to be able to convert to coins that I could pick up locally
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2113
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: GLDM - 0.18 exp. ratio 'Gold minishares'

Post by ochotona » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:28 pm

Hey Sophie, GLDM has shown up at TD Ameritrade as a fee-free ETF !!! Now we can buy it easily in our Lively HSA in small bites!
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2742
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: GLDM - 0.18 exp. ratio 'Gold minishares'

Post by sophie » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:45 am

No way that's AWESOME!!!!!!

Now all I have to pay fees for is VTI and VBR. I like SPTL for bonds, but I don't like any of their free stock ETF offerings.
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2002
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: GLDM - 0.18 exp. ratio 'Gold minishares'

Post by Xan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:22 am

sophie wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:45 am
No way that's AWESOME!!!!!!

Now all I have to pay fees for is VTI and VBR. I like SPTL for bonds, but I don't like any of their free stock ETF offerings.
What don't you like about SPTM, for example?
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2113
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: GLDM - 0.18 exp. ratio 'Gold minishares'

Post by ochotona » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:40 am

Xan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:22 am
sophie wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:45 am
No way that's AWESOME!!!!!!

Now all I have to pay fees for is VTI and VBR. I like SPTL for bonds, but I don't like any of their free stock ETF offerings.
What don't you like about SPTM, for example?
When I have my fill of GLDM in TD Ameritrade, my plan is to go get some SPLG, it tracks the S&P500 pretty well
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 635
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: GLDM - 0.18 exp. ratio 'Gold minishares'

Post by stuper1 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:52 am

What's the difference between GLD and GLDM?
User avatar
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 999
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: GLDM - 0.18 exp. ratio 'Gold minishares'

Post by Kbg » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:05 am

Good question...mine too. I read an article about them and was kinda surprised at the result. It is the same trust structure and issuing company as GLD. Purportedly the only difference is the fee and the share size basis. It is expected that GLD will remain popular with institutional investors where liquidity costs can be much higher than fees while GLDM is aimed specially at the retail market.

In sum, if you are looking for gold exposure via an ETF this one is a no brainer. Personally, sales gimmicks aside, I believe there is no actual substantive difference amongst the various gold ETFs.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 635
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: GLDM - 0.18 exp. ratio 'Gold minishares'

Post by stuper1 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:47 pm

Kbg wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:05 am
Good question...mine too. I read an article about them and was kinda surprised at the result. It is the same trust structure and issuing company as GLD. Purportedly the only difference is the fee and the share size basis. It is expected that GLD will remain popular with institutional investors where liquidity costs can be much higher than fees while GLDM is aimed specially at the retail market.

In sum, if you are looking for gold exposure via an ETF this one is a no brainer. Personally, sales gimmicks aside, I believe there is no actual substantive difference amongst the various gold ETFs.
When you say "liquidity costs", does than mean the bid-ask spread on the ETF?
User avatar
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 999
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: GLDM - 0.18 exp. ratio 'Gold minishares'

Post by Kbg » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:58 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:47 pm
When you say "liquidity costs", does than mean the bid-ask spread on the ETF?
No. It means they buy (sell) so much it moves the price...small historical factoid: this is one of the primary reasons why the market cap index was invented.
User avatar
eufo
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: GLDM - 0.18 exp. ratio 'Gold minishares'

Post by eufo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:14 pm

Ahh, finally a commission-free way to invest in paper gold with my Roth at TDA! A little late for me, but maybe I'll buy some anyway. Thanks for posting this.
Don't agree with me too strongly or I'm going to change my mind
Post Reply