Freedom

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Freedom

Post by Desert » Sat May 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Just a quick update for anyone that cares ... I decided to exit the workforce and take a lengthy break from employment. It might end up being "retirement" but I'm not sure yet. I told my wife I planned to take somewhere between two weeks and 20 years off before considering next steps.

But in all seriousness, I think this is "early" retirement for me. I'm 52, and I got my first job when I was 12. So I've been working about 40 years, and I have to say I'm just completely drained, regarding paid employment. I'm ready for a lengthy break. My financial situation looks decent, but it's not overly conservative. So I might need to work for money in the future. Also, there are many things I'm interested in that may lead to some income. Some of my friends and family think I'm a bit crazy (not a surprise to y'all, I'm sure), but I'm really OK with it. My 10 year old son was amazed and impressed, especially since I'll be off work with him this Summer. He's looking forward to hanging out.

I wanted to thank all of you for this forum, and the excellent advice and framework built here. You all have definitely contributed to the confidence I feel in this decision. Of course the markets are now destined to fall precipitously, so please short appropriately. :)
geaux saints

!

Post by geaux saints » Sat May 12, 2018 9:59 pm

Desert wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:54 pm
Just a quick update for anyone that cares ... I decided to exit the workforce and take a lengthy break from employment. It might end up being "retirement" but I'm not sure yet. I told my wife I planned to take somewhere between two weeks and 20 years off before considering next steps.

But in all seriousness, I think this is "early" retirement for me. I'm 52, and I got my first job when I was 12. So I've been working about 40 years, and I have to say I'm just completely drained, regarding paid employment. I'm ready for a lengthy break. My financial situation looks decent, but it's not overly conservative. So I might need to work for money in the future. Also, there are many things I'm interested in that may lead to some income. Some of my friends and family think I'm a bit crazy (not a surprise to y'all, I'm sure), but I'm really OK with it. My 10 year old son was amazed and impressed, especially since I'll be off work with him this Summer. He's looking forward to hanging out.

I wanted to thank all of you for this forum, and the excellent advice and framework built here. You all have definitely contributed to the confidence I feel in this decision. Of course the markets are now destined to fall precipitously, so please short appropriately. :)
Desert,

Congratulations! I, like your son, am also amazed and impressed. A happy retirement Who Dat to you and yours.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Freedom

Post by Desert » Sat May 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Geaux Saints, thanks for the kind words. One thing I want to do soon is take another trip down to the Big Easy. Might even take in a Saints game, if it fits in the tiny budget. :)

Thanks again.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat May 12, 2018 10:09 pm

Congratulations! I'll be joining you eventually due in part to your ideas.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Sat May 12, 2018 10:14 pm

ochotona wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:09 pm
Congratulations! I'll be joining you eventually due in part to your ideas.
Awesome, and thank you. We need to connect again directly. Please IM me your email address, if you don't mind.
europeanwizard

Post by europeanwizard » Sun May 13, 2018 1:27 am

Congrats! In certain Reddit subs related to this topic, it's customary to wish you a hearthy GFY https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gfy.

I remember studying asset allocations on Tyler's site, and thinking, "Who is this Desert guy and why has he earned the right to appear here?" ;D ;D
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Sun May 13, 2018 4:20 am

Congrats!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun May 13, 2018 4:55 am

Desert wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Congratulations! I have just one question: Are you going to change your forum name to Green Meadow? ;) Now you will have more time to post your wisdom on the forum.

Seriously, my very best wishes for you and your family.
Romans 6:23 (New English Translation)
For the payoff of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun May 13, 2018 8:09 am

Great news.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun May 13, 2018 8:45 am

Congratulations Desert, and best of luck! We'll all be interested know how you fare in all respects including economically.

The upcoming summer with your son will be priceless.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun May 13, 2018 8:55 am

Congrats indeed!

It is definitely harder to make a decision like that at 52 [and with a 10yo kid!] without the full confidence you will have enough funds to see it through to the end. Cohones of steel.
gizmo_rat
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by gizmo_rat » Sun May 13, 2018 11:05 am

A fine move Desert. Good times ahead with the family.

I set myself a 18 month deadline to my "kind of" sabbatical about 72 months ago now, haven't regretted one moment spent with my family.