General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Lively HSA

Post by foglifter » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:02 am

sophie wrote:Nice, thanks ochotona!

Gives me a bit of incentive to tackle the periodic Optum to Lively transfer (my employer uses Optum). Has anyone tried this yet? I remember someone else's employer uses Optum.
My employer uses Optum and while I haven't tried recurring transfers I did a couple of manual transfers per year in 2016-2017 and Optum didn't charge me anything. I actually called Optum and asked them about transfer fees, they said they only charge for the full account transfer combined with account closure. They don't charge for partial transfers.

Good news: as was promised, Lively finally added the ability to set up transfers and rollovers to their website. No more PDF form filling/signing. I'll try the new feature later this year.
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu May 03, 2018 4:01 pm

The IRS changed the HSA limit again
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat May 12, 2018 8:38 am

I used the new transfer form to snarf funds from my employer (Optum) account. It was super easy, just had to provide the account info online and then e-sign it, then the funds magically appeared. No fee that I'm aware of from Optum, but I was careful to leave some money in the account to prevent them closing it. The fund transfer took a little over a week.

Hopefully they'll keep the account info handy so next time will be even easier, but even so it sure beats the usual process of printing out and mailing a form, waiting 6 weeks, calling to ask what became of it, and re-sending because it got lost.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat May 12, 2018 6:26 pm

I'm liking the TD Ameritrade trading platform. The conditional orders are cool.
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter » Mon May 14, 2018 12:46 pm

sophie wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:38 am
I used the new transfer form to snarf funds from my employer (Optum) account. It was super easy, just had to provide the account info online and then e-sign it, then the funds magically appeared. No fee that I'm aware of from Optum, but I was careful to leave some money in the account to prevent them closing it. The fund transfer took a little over a week.

Hopefully they'll keep the account info handy so next time will be even easier, but even so it sure beats the usual process of printing out and mailing a form, waiting 6 weeks, calling to ask what became of it, and re-sending because it got lost.
Thanks for sharing your experience, Sophie! Good to know they didn't charge for the partial transfer. I'm planning to move my balance soon, just have to be careful and leave a few bucks in the Optum account.
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed May 30, 2018 10:39 pm

HealthEquity to Lively HSA took 3 weeks end-to-end