Trump and sexual harassment and the media

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Michellebell
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Re: Trump and sexual harassment and the media

Post by Michellebell » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:21 am

I don't know. When it comes to sexual harassment, I guess it comes down to a he-said, she-said debate and we really don't know who to believe. Some claim these women were lying, and the timing of their claims really is quite fishy to me. Was Bill Clinton worse than Trump? I definitely believe so. Clinton outright lied under oath about his affair and then had to come clean later. But with all the liars out there, it ultimately unfortunately comes down to what we choose to believe.

I also don't know how common or substantial sexual harassment is amongst politicians. I've never been harassed or assaulted in my life, but I'm a teacher and don't work with very powerful or rich people. Recently I saw a flood of the #me toos on Facebook and was pretty surprised. The women who have claimed this have grown up in similar backgrounds to mine. I'm not sure if I should believe that sexual harassment and assault is really that common or if some women are leading men on and then blaming them after the fact. I can only go by my own experience, which is, I grew up in America, and men have always waited for me to reciprocate interest before making any moves. Even my mom says that men behave completely inappropriately around her all the time. The stories she's told me have been absolutely bizarre though. I truly cannot imagine anything like that happening to me.

As far as the tape goes, Billy Bush said that he didn't think Trump knew he was being recorded. He doesn't paint Trump in a positive light in this interview, but this is what he said according to this interview on this link: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featur ... an-1005744

Since the article is long, I'm quoting the part here:

"Had you heard him speak like that about women before?

I don't recall anything to that degree. But he's a provocateur. Shocking statements flow like wine from him. And he likes to captivate an audience.

Did Trump know he was being recorded?

I would assume not. I've done many interviews with him, and he always knew when the camera was on and when the camera was off because [he] changed. He was very aware of the camera.

Trump chalked it up to "locker-room banter." Is that a fair characterization?

No. I'm in a lot of locker rooms, I am an athlete, and no, that is not the type of conversation that goes on or that I've participated in.

So is that seriously how Trump approaches women?

I felt that, in that moment, he was being typically Donald, which is performing and shocking. Almost like Andrew Dice Clay, the stand-up comedian: Does he really do the things that he's saying or is that his act? And in Donald's case, I equated it that way. When he said what he said, I'd like to think if I had thought for a minute that there was a grown man detailing his sexual assault strategy to me, I'd have called the FBI."

I don't know anything about Billy Bush really so I don't know how trustworthy he is either but this sounds honest, although I disagree with his "locker-room banter" view. I've heard men talk about women before, and women talk about men before. It can sometimes get a bit ugly.
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3214
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: Trump and sexual harassment and the media

Post by ochotona » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:19 am

My wife, my daughter both sexually harassed. I believe the media accounts. It's a hidden sin.
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4223
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Trump and sexual harassment and the media

Post by sophie » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:34 am

Judging by the number of politicians caught in actions that could be categorized as sexual harassment, pedophilia, or adultery, I would guess that if all prominent members of the US or state governments who have engaged in such behavior were to resign, the stampede out of Washington and state capitals would be deafening.

Not that I'm saying that illegal behavior should be tolerated - it absolutely should not be. It's just that we should not be shocked and surprised when promiscuous or predatory behavior is detected, because it's probably an integral part of the politician personality. Nor should we assume that it's only present in those who have been caught at it. Plato's ideal of a "philosopher-king" is as much of a pipe dream now as it was in ancient Greece.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5995
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Re: Trump and sexual harassment and the media

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:14 am

sophie wrote:Judging by the number of politicians caught in actions that could be categorized as sexual harassment, pedophilia, or adultery, I would guess that if all prominent members of the US or state governments who have engaged in such behavior were to resign, the stampede out of Washington and state capitals would be deafening.
Works for me!
sophie wrote: Not that I'm saying that illegal behavior should be tolerated - it absolutely should not be. It's just that we should not be shocked and surprised when promiscuous or predatory behavior is detected, because it's probably an integral part of the politician personality. Nor should we assume that it's only present in those who have been caught at it. Plato's ideal of a "philosopher-king" is as much of a pipe dream now as it was in ancient Greece.
This is just one of the reasons that I'm an anarcho-capitalist.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11239
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Trump and sexual harassment and the media

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:15 am

All this news sparked a memory of my wife’s, of a guy getting “handsy” on a crowded bus, ugh.15 years ago.
“As a white person of colour, I am extremely concerned about the rise of black whiteness.” — Titania McGrath
pariah — 1610s member of a low caste in S. India; Tamil (Dravidian) “drummer”, as members of the lowest caste played drums at festivals. “social outcast,” 1819.
Michellebell
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Re: Trump and sexual harassment and the media

Post by Michellebell » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:57 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
sophie wrote:Judging by the number of politicians caught in actions that could be categorized as sexual harassment, pedophilia, or adultery, I would guess that if all prominent members of the US or state governments who have engaged in such behavior were to resign, the stampede out of Washington and state capitals would be deafening.
Works for me!
sophie wrote: Not that I'm saying that illegal behavior should be tolerated - it absolutely should not be. It's just that we should not be shocked and surprised when promiscuous or predatory behavior is detected, because it's probably an integral part of the politician personality. Nor should we assume that it's only present in those who have been caught at it. Plato's ideal of a "philosopher-king" is as much of a pipe dream now as it was in ancient Greece.
This is just one of the reasons that I'm an anarcho-capitalist.
Agreed.

Recently though seriously my view of humanity has been plummeting.
Michellebell
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Re: Trump and sexual harassment and the media

Post by Michellebell » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:19 am

dualstow wrote:All this news sparked a memory of my wife’s, of a guy getting “handsy” on a crowded bus, ugh.15 years ago.
That's just disgusting.
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3299
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Trump and sexual harassment and the media

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:08 pm

It could explain why Congress hasn't been getting much done lately; they're too busy sexually harassing people.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11239
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Trump and sexual harassment and the media

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:49 pm

Michellebell wrote:
dualstow wrote:All this news sparked a memory of my wife’s, of a guy getting “handsy” on a crowded bus, ugh.15 years ago.
That's just disgusting.
it's even worse. I found out during further discussion that it wasn't his hands.
“As a white person of colour, I am extremely concerned about the rise of black whiteness.” — Titania McGrath
pariah — 1610s member of a low caste in S. India; Tamil (Dravidian) “drummer”, as members of the lowest caste played drums at festivals. “social outcast,” 1819.
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3205
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Trump and sexual harassment and the media

Post by Xan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:29 pm

dualstow wrote:
Michellebell wrote:
dualstow wrote:All this news sparked a memory of my wife’s, of a guy getting “handsy” on a crowded bus, ugh.15 years ago.
That's just disgusting.
it's even worse. I found out during further discussion that it wasn't his hands.
Whose were they, then? He had an accomplice?
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11239
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Trump and sexual harassment and the media

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:39 am

That's right. The good news is he didn't get very far on that crowded bus, but still. :-\
“As a white person of colour, I am extremely concerned about the rise of black whiteness.” — Titania McGrath
pariah — 1610s member of a low caste in S. India; Tamil (Dravidian) “drummer”, as members of the lowest caste played drums at festivals. “social outcast,” 1819.
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4223
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Trump and sexual harassment and the media

Post by sophie » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:19 am

dualstow wrote:That's right. The good news is he didn't get very far on that crowded bus, but still. :-\
Ugh, that is awful, dualstow. Did she try to get up and move to a different seat, or was that not possible? Or call the guy out in front of all the witnesses on the bus?

I've had a similar experience (not on a bus) and I bet most women have. Not recently though. This is one problem that improves as you get older!
Post Reply