Honor / Virtue

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4246
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:17 pm

Honor / Virtue

Post by doodle » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:54 am

Another topic of interest to me...are honor and virtue becoming bygones or is it simply nostalgic thinking to imagine these once existed? Is our increasing urbanization leading to an anonymity that allows us to behave without honor and virtue and get away with it whereas in the past life in smaller towns meant we had to more closely protect our reputations through honorable and virtuous conduct? It seems to me that people have less inhibitions today about not being true to their word, or acting in ways that in the past would have them labeled as untrustworthy...
User avatar
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Honor / Virtue

Post by Tyler » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:55 am

Virtue is still going strong, although it has very much changed form. I'd argue social media is almost exclusively about virtue signalling. Now whether those virtues are noble or translate into real-world behaviors beyond the virtual facade is another matter entirely.
Mechanical engineer, history buff, treasure manager... totally not Ben Gates
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11238
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Honor / Virtue

Post by dualstow » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:38 pm

My thoughts and prayers go out to the virtue signalers

/s
“As a white person of colour, I am extremely concerned about the rise of black whiteness.” — Titania McGrath
pariah — 1610s member of a low caste in S. India; Tamil (Dravidian) “drummer”, as members of the lowest caste played drums at festivals. “social outcast,” 1819.
Michellebell
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Re: Honor / Virtue

Post by Michellebell » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:53 pm

doodle wrote:Another topic of interest to me...are honor and virtue becoming bygones or is it simply nostalgic thinking to imagine these once existed? Is our increasing urbanization leading to an anonymity that allows us to behave without honor and virtue and get away with it whereas in the past life in smaller towns meant we had to more closely protect our reputations through honorable and virtuous conduct? It seems to me that people have less inhibitions today about not being true to their word, or acting in ways that in the past would have them labeled as untrustworthy...
I would agree with you. The only times I've seen reputations meaning much of anything have been in books and movies for me.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11238
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Honor / Virtue

Post by dualstow » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:56 pm

Well, doodle, I guess it was the other thread in which you said you wanted to put morality aside.
“As a white person of colour, I am extremely concerned about the rise of black whiteness.” — Titania McGrath
pariah — 1610s member of a low caste in S. India; Tamil (Dravidian) “drummer”, as members of the lowest caste played drums at festivals. “social outcast,” 1819.
User avatar
eufo
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: Honor / Virtue

Post by eufo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:38 pm

dualstow wrote:My thoughts and prayers go out to the virtue signalers

/s
Pure gold! :D
Don't agree with me too strongly or I'm going to change my mind
User avatar
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3233
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: Honor / Virtue

Post by Desert » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:13 pm

TennPaGa wrote:
dualstow wrote:My thoughts and prayers go out to the virtue signalers
:D
POST OF THE YEAR*





*non-ironically delivered feedback
That was beautiful. You perfectly captured the whole damn thing in one sentence.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11238
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Honor / Virtue

Post by dualstow » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:17 pm

You guys are too much. It’s the simplest joke. O0
“As a white person of colour, I am extremely concerned about the rise of black whiteness.” — Titania McGrath
pariah — 1610s member of a low caste in S. India; Tamil (Dravidian) “drummer”, as members of the lowest caste played drums at festivals. “social outcast,” 1819.
User avatar
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4246
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Honor / Virtue

Post by doodle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:35 am

dualstow wrote:Well, doodle, I guess it was the other thread in which you said you wanted to put morality aside.
I say a lot of things...are you looking for some kind of consistency...because I will contradict myself constantly in service of the argument. I'm not running for political office here, I'm playing with ideas.

" A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. "

As far as virtue and morality perhaps I used the wrong terms but the event that led to the question was an incident of road rage that I witnessed and it struck me how that would never occur outside of a big city because driving like that in a small town where everyone knew you would immediately have you labeled and ostracized. I have also had issues hiring people on Craigslist who either don't show up or show up way late, or do crappy work with little repercussion. Again, in a small town they would quickly develop a bad reputation and either have to change or lose their job.
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3214
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: Honor / Virtue

Post by ochotona » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:26 am

I am a gun owner, but after the church shooting yesterday, I wonder if we, as a people, deserve the Second Amendment any longer. Because in 2017 there's no Honor or Virtue remaining. People are just selfish, sick, and twisted from the highest levels of government and business down to the rank and file.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5995
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Re: Honor / Virtue

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:28 am

ochotona wrote:I am a gun owner, but after the church shooting yesterday, I wonder if we, as a people, deserve the Second Amendment any longer. Because in 2017 there's no Honor or Virtue remaining. People are just selfish, sick, and twisted from the highest levels of government and business down to the rank and file.
It is precisely the 2nd Amendment that protects our right to defend ourselves and our neighbors.

If there had been a non-criminal there with a gun, the number of lives lost would almost certainly have been significantly less.

What we need is for every church to have armed congregants at every service or other meeting where there are more than one or two people.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11238
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Honor / Virtue

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:01 am

@doodle: gotcha. Understood.
“As a white person of colour, I am extremely concerned about the rise of black whiteness.” — Titania McGrath
pariah — 1610s member of a low caste in S. India; Tamil (Dravidian) “drummer”, as members of the lowest caste played drums at festivals. “social outcast,” 1819.
Post Reply