Hillary's new book: "It Was My Turn"

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5995
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Hillary's new book: "It Was My Turn"

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:43 pm

Image

I can't wait for it to come out!
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3214
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: Hillary's new book: "It Was My Turn"

Post by ochotona » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:01 am

We need a firebrand reformer POTUS with skills. We do not currently have one.
User avatar
eufo
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: Hillary's new book: "It Was My Turn"

Post by eufo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:59 pm

I opened this thread hoping that was a real book... very disappointed. :(
Don't agree with me too strongly or I'm going to change my mind
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5995
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Re: Hillary's new book: "It Was My Turn"

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:55 pm

eufo wrote:I opened this thread hoping that was a real book... very disappointed. :(
You're not the only one! It would be a much better, and more popular, book than any of her actual ones!
Michellebell
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Re: Hillary's new book: "It Was My Turn"

Post by Michellebell » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:35 pm

I think the Democratic Party at this point would be so much better off if she would just STFU. Although now, I'm so fed up with Democratic politicians that maybe she's doing me a favor :)
Michellebell
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Re: Hillary's new book: "It Was My Turn"

Post by Michellebell » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:49 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Michellebell wrote:I think the Democratic Party at this point would be so much better off if she would just STFU. Although now, I'm so fed up with Democratic politicians that maybe she's doing me a favor :)
I'm very appreciative for the election's revelation of exactly how insane so many people are.

Including some family members and in-laws.

Yes, I paid very little attention to politics myself until the insanity ensued. It has been eye-opening, to say the least.
User avatar
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7623
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Hillary's new book: "It Was My Turn"

Post by moda0306 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:41 am

What are you people actually noticing?

I live in a very blue state (MN). The reaction to Trump in my social circles (a mix of red and blue folks) is less reactionary to that of Obama. Lot's of "what a piece of garbage," and the like. But nothing along the lines of "commie (n word)."

Further, I'm not noticing much enthusiasm for Hillary at all. Just a "oh well she's better than Trump." And while I find that premise debatable, I'd hardly call that "insanity."

To me the insanity isn't the reaction to Trump, but the way we accept establishment politics. And that's been around for decades. If there's any insanity, it's the complacency and the false-equivalence of the pro-Trumpers... As if Hillary was more like Mao Zedong than Richard Nixon (who many older Trumpers voted for).

Perhaps I'm missing something.
User avatar
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7623
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Hillary's new book: "It Was My Turn"

Post by moda0306 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:54 am

Maxine Waters calling for impeachment, for no specific reason that she can name.
That is one person. Surely there are others, but it's not surprising. Also, this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efforts_t ... rack_Obama
CNN found in July 2014 that 57% of Republicans supported efforts while about two thirds of adult Americans in general disagreed.
At a 2013 town hall meeting with constituents, two years after Obama had released his long-form birth certificate to the public, Congressman Blake Farenthold said that Obama should be impeached due to conspiracy theories relating to Obama's birth certificate. Farenthold said that he thinks that "the House is already out of the barn on this, on the whole birth certificate issue."
This stuff is not new. I'm frankly surprised that anyone is surprised.
The "Russia-Trump conspiracy theorists" bloviating all over the media, on the basis of absolutely nothing.
Bloviation about non-issues in the media has always been a trait. This is on the media. And I'd hardly say this is the first thing that makes them "insane." Or the largest. How the media approaches war is perhaps the single-best example, IMO. See their fawning over Trump's strikes against Syria.

While I agree the Russia coverage has been sloppy and biased at best... that's our establishment media for you.
The Unitarian-Universalist national group UUWorld talking about how they themselves are guilty of white supremacy.
Ok this seems like more than a bit much, though I haven't researched it. But I don't see it as an indication of a unique tilt of "insanity" by the U.S. public.


Your other two examples are personal in nature, so I can't speak much to them other than I could write a book about the level of unbalanced vitriol hurled at Obama, not just by big players in the mainstream media, but by friends and colleagues on FB (to speak to your personal examples). While I've seen quite a bit of mud slung at Trump, most of it is accurately disassembling his constant stream of bullsh!t. Some of it is pure partisan drivel and vitriol, sure. But if we are going to encourage actually holding power accountable (something that any free-thinker or anarchist leaning individual should appreciate), then I'm not going to worry about the noise. You still seem more concerned with ridiculing Hillary than the buffoon with the nukes in the White House who's already committed war-crimes and seems very anti-civil-libertarian to say the least.

It seems we agree pretty closely on Hillary. It seems weird to me that we disagree so much on Trump & the nature of the "insanity" of the public in-general.
User avatar
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7623
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Hillary's new book: "It Was My Turn"

Post by moda0306 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
moda0306 wrote:
Your other two examples are personal in nature, so I can't speak much to them other than I could write a book about the level of unbalanced vitriol hurled at Obama, not just by big players in the mainstream media, but by friends and colleagues on FB (to speak to your personal examples). While I've seen quite a bit of mud slung at Trump, most of it is accurately disassembling his constant stream of bullsh!t. Some of it is pure partisan drivel and vitriol, sure. But if we are going to encourage actually holding power accountable (something that any free-thinker or anarchist leaning individual should appreciate), then I'm not going to worry about the noise.
I'm in favor of holding power accountable. But it should be based on actual facts, not made up conspiracy theories.
moda0306 wrote: You still seem more concerned with ridiculing Hillary than the buffoon with the nukes in the White House who's already committed war-crimes and seems very anti-civil-libertarian to say the least.
Of course he has committed war crimes. Every President since at least Abe Lincoln has done that.

And of course he isn't a civil libertarian. But compared to Hillary, he looks like Thomas Jefferson.
moda0306 wrote: It seems we agree pretty closely on Hillary. It seems weird to me that we disagree so much on Trump & the nature of the "insanity" of the public in-general.
That's why they have chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
You don't think there are legitimate "actual facts" being brought up by anyone in holding Trump accountable? Or are you just purposefully focusing on the idiotic ones?

In what way do you think Trump is more civil libertarian than Hillary, much less "Thomas Jefferson?" To me, they're both pretty terrible, but Trump comes in as worse?
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:51 am

Re: Hillary's new book: "It Was My Turn"

Post by farjean2 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:30 pm

moda0306 wrote: You don't think there are legitimate "actual facts" being brought up by anyone in holding Trump accountable?
What are they?
User avatar
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7623
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Hillary's new book: "It Was My Turn"

Post by moda0306 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:43 pm

farjean2 wrote:
moda0306 wrote: You don't think there are legitimate "actual facts" being brought up by anyone in holding Trump accountable?
What are they?
Simply any topic where one would believe he has opinions or will make decisions that are dangerous for this country. For the most part, I'm talking about foreign policy, war powers, and law enforcement agency civil liberties issues where he has the most authority. But someone might disagree with me that these are extra important areas considering the president's outsised unilateral influence, or they might just care more about other issues.

So the facts might be simply the very unbalanced things he's said about these topics. Perhaps it's just facts about his apparent mental state when he controls our nuclear arsenal. Do I need to go re-find the quote where he suggested we surround ISIS in Iraq with troops and have our oil companies take all the oil? Suggesting executing Snowden? Suggested we kill families of terrorists? Suggested he's going to "do a lot worse" than waterboarding for torture? Killing civilians at a far-higher rate than Obama?

How about making nice with Henry Kissinger or the Saudis? How about the war crimes he's already commited? How about simply having a gross anti-civil libertarian like Sessions as attorney general? Bombing Syria? Continuing the war in Yemen?

These are just simple facts in a pretty narrow area of policy.

How about you folks... what things would you like to see Trump held accountable? Perhaps some of his promises, his general decorum or domestic policy priorities?

Or are we just going to sit here and bash Hillary's books?
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:51 am

Re: Hillary's new book: "It Was My Turn"

Post by farjean2 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:17 pm

moda0306 wrote: Simply any topic where one would believe he has opinions or will make decisions that are dangerous for this country.
Hmmm. I don't think you really mean what you are saying, that a president should be held accountable for opinions that he holds that might lead to making decisions that are dangerous for this country in your opinion. I'll chalk that up to the kind of brain fart that we all have from time to time.
Locked