Will Trump be Re-elected?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Will Trump be Re-elected?

Trump is more effective than people are willing to admit [ala Scott Adams] and will be re-elected.
37%
Hillary will run again in 2020, and thus Trump will beat her again.
5%
Trump will cause the GOP to lose one or both houses of congress in the mid-term elections.
9%
The Dems in congress will be so insufferable, Trumps wins by a small margin despite them.
23%
Trump will choose not to run for re-election, since he never really wanted the job anyway.
11%
Trump is a disaster and will lose by a landslide.
8%
Trump will not only lose, but will lose to a candidate so far to the left that people will wish he'd stayed.
5%
Other, please elaborate.
3%

Total votes: 65
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by flyingpylon » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:34 pm

Tyler wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:41 am
sophie wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:55 am
Actually, I'd be a lot less comfortable about them if they're all telling the truth!
No kidding. The deep pockets and motivated niche voter groups in the primary are clearly all single-issue ideologues, and by pandering to each one the candidates all sound completely insane.
One theory is that the party is "vote harvesting". They have candidates that have no realistic chance of becoming the nominee align themselves with particular issues. People interested in those issues support and engage with those candidates. During the nomination process, candidates drop out and turn their supporters, money, and voter data over to the party and eventual nominee. The party gets data and a more engaged base, the nominee avoids pandering to the extremists directly, and the candidates get experience, national exposure, and perhaps a shot at VP or a cabinet position.
jacksonm2

Post by jacksonm2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:32 pm

When it comes to those on the left standing up for the "truth" I think you need only look to judge Kavanaugh. On the one year anniversary of his confirmation to the supreme court there was a group of protesters outside the supreme court building protesting that they had put an "obvious" sexual predator on the high court. One of the speakers was Julie Swetnick who remembers him spiking the punch so he and his friend could gang-rape women at parties.

That woman's account of events has been completely discredited but the fact that she was invited to speak tells you all you need to know about the far left's relationship with the truth.

Personally, I think those people are truly dangerous because they are suffering from some form of extreme pathology.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:07 pm

jacksonm2 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:32 pm
When it comes to those on the left standing up for the "truth" I think you need only look to judge Kavanaugh. On the one year anniversary of his confirmation to the supreme court there was a group of protesters outside the supreme court building protesting that they had put an "obvious" sexual predator on the high court. One of the speakers was Julie Swetnick who remembers him spiking the punch so he and his friend could gang-rape women at parties.

That woman's account of events has been completely discredited but the fact that she was invited to speak tells you all you need to know about the far left's relationship with the truth.

Personally, I think those people are truly dangerous because they are suffering from some form of extreme pathology.
Yes, it’s called TDS.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:37 pm

jacksonm2 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:32 pm

Who said anything about “the left standing up for truth.” We were discussing whether generally democrats or republicans lie more... not saying one or the other is a pillar of truth.

The Kavanaugh hearing was one of millions of states where dems and republicans might have lied. You’ve got a long road to hoe to develop a rich comparison.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:42 pm

doodle, the trumpsters/goldbugs/libertarians like that he's (unintentionally) increasing government dysfunction and making it harder for gov to do anything (like "regulate," tax them, take their guns n'gold). When someone's doing something you like, cognitive dissonance prevents you from admitting they'd gladly screw you over too, if they got the chance.

Can you provide more detail of your verifiable data, ie what exactly those friends of yours did for trump
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:50 am

boglerdude wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:42 pm
doodle, the trumpsters/goldbugs/libertarians like that he's (unintentionally) increasing government dysfunction and making it harder for gov to do anything (like "regulate," tax them, take their guns n'gold). When someone's doing something you like, cognitive dissonance prevents you from admitting they'd gladly screw you over too, if they got the chance.

Can you provide more detail of your verifiable data, ie what exactly those friends of yours did for trump
And since there are at least two sides to every story, please provide the opposing side’s arguments as well. Has anyone here ever hired a contractor and had a project go less than 100% smoothly?

Boglerdude’s got a good point about cognitive dissonance. Like it or not, everyone has it. The fact that this thread is turning into a discussion about “who lies more” is evidence. All politicians lie, it only matters when they lie about things that you give a crap about.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:18 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:27 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:40 am
moda0306 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:41 pm

There are plenty of bad traits on display, but I don’t think there is any Dem in the primary that lies more than Trump.

Overall I tend to feel like Republicans lie slightly more than dems.
I'm not sure about the Democratic candidates vs Trump.

But the current Dems/Left vs Reps/Right? It's not even a contest, IMO. You really think it's the other way around?
I mean who do you want to focus on? Do we weight by power or just say "most members of congress?" Are we weighing everything they say or just what gets plastered in the media? Of course it's going to seem like dem candidates lie more than some random conservative congressman... they're in the news constantly. And I think most conservatives are trying to keep their heads down so they don't have to be on record defending Trump's ridiculous antics.

And the fact that you're "not sure" about Trump vs dem candidates... Really? Trump is a bullshit factory. I hate standard "politics-speak" as much as the next guy but Trump's bombast isn't any better, and he lies far more.
You said you think Rs lie slightly more than Ds, but then said that it seems like Ds lie more. I am curious who you were talking about, and what time frame.
All of humanity’s problems with coronavirus stem from a man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.
- Blasé Kriegsspiel
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:41 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:18 pm
moda0306 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:27 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:40 am

I'm not sure about the Democratic candidates vs Trump.

But the current Dems/Left vs Reps/Right? It's not even a contest, IMO. You really think it's the other way around?
I mean who do you want to focus on? Do we weight by power or just say "most members of congress?" Are we weighing everything they say or just what gets plastered in the media? Of course it's going to seem like dem candidates lie more than some random conservative congressman... they're in the news constantly. And I think most conservatives are trying to keep their heads down so they don't have to be on record defending Trump's ridiculous antics.

And the fact that you're "not sure" about Trump vs dem candidates... Really? Trump is a bullshit factory. I hate standard "politics-speak" as much as the next guy but Trump's bombast isn't any better, and he lies far more.
You said you think Rs lie slightly more than Ds, but then said that it seems like Ds lie more. I am curious who you were talking about, and what time frame.
I said "seems" in the context of how often someone shows up in the news, not how much they actually lie. I meant that in a general sense of a passive onlooker into the mainstream media of politics, where dem candidates for president are on TV dozens of times more frequently than republican congressmen.

As far as "who" and "what time frame," mostly the last year of primary politics, as that was what you seemed to be focused on, though I could have been mistaken.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:52 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:41 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:18 pm
As far as "who" and "what time frame," mostly the last year of primary politics, as that was what you seemed to be focused on, though I could have been mistaken.
No, you are correct.
I said "seems" in the context of how often someone shows up in the news, not how much they actually lie. I meant that in a general sense of a passive onlooker into the mainstream media of politics, where dem candidates for president are on TV dozens of times more frequently than republican congressmen.
That's how I understood it. But given that the Ds get most of the air time, what is it about the Rs that gives you the impression they are lying more?
All of humanity’s problems with coronavirus stem from a man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.
- Blasé Kriegsspiel
jacksonm2

Post by jacksonm2 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:04 pm

I don't know what will be on the news tonight with all the networks except Fox but I really don't need to watch to make a prediction. The main topic of conversation will be the godawful thing that Donald Trump did or said that day which will be the most outrageous thing that any American president ever did or said, leaving everyone in a state of total shock with heads still reeling in disbelief on every single show.

It's kind of like a drug addict who keeps needing a bigger and bigger fix.

One thing I've been noticing lately is something that makes me think he might actually be impeached and even removed from office.It's kind of like when Walter Cronkite turned against the war in Vietnam and Johnson said if I've lost Walter Cronkite, I've lost America (I've heard that is a fake quote and he never really said it but it works for the sake of this post).

In this case Water Cronkite is Matt Drudge. He seems to be clearly in the anti-Trump camp nowadays.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:35 pm

jacksonm2 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:04 pm
I don't know what will be on the news tonight with all the networks except Fox but I really don't need to watch to make a prediction. The main topic of conversation will be the godawful thing that Donald Trump did or said that day which will be the most outrageous thing that any American president ever did or said, leaving everyone in a state of total shock with heads still reeling in disbelief on every single show.

One thing I've been noticing lately is something that makes me think he might actually be impeached and even removed from office.It's kind of like when Walter Cronkite turned against the war in Vietnam and Johnson said if I've lost Walter Cronkite, I've lost America (I've heard that is a fake quote and he never really said it but it works for the sake of this post).

In this case Water Cronkite is Matt Drudge. He seems to be clearly in the anti-Trump camp nowadays.
Drudge has been in the anti-Trump camp for quite awhile.

I don't think that means very much.
jacksonm2

Post by jacksonm2 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:00 pm

technovelist wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:35 pm
jacksonm2 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:04 pm

Drudge has been in the anti-Trump camp for quite awhile.

I don't think that means very much.
Time will tell but I thought it was very significant when he apparently decided to go full-in on the impeachment of Trump. Every day he highlights all of the most negative stories and links to none on the opposite side. A lot of people now credit him for being a major influence on the Clinton impeachment so the fact that he is now doing the same thing with Trump seems pretty significant to me. I think they call people like him on the internet nowadays "influencers".

When I sit down in front of my computer to read the news every day, his website is at the top of my list and I know a lot of people who agree with me.