He has achieved his final form.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Help get me reduce some weight

Post by Desert » Thu May 17, 2018 6:48 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:48 am
For me, the easiest way to drop some weight is to give up something such as alcohol, or desserts, or second helpings, or restaurants for a while (this assumes a relatively constant level of exercise). My body does not react favorably to fasting or missing more than one meal; the resulting intestinal issues can be almost incapacitating as I can't get far from a bathroom (after effects of some surgery a while back). :o
I agree, especially restaurants. There is no way I can lose weight or even maintain weight if I eat out very often. Portions are generally huge, and I don't like to be wasteful. ;)
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:56 pm

Desert wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:48 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:48 am
For me, the easiest way to drop some weight is to give up something such as alcohol, or desserts, or second helpings, or restaurants for a while (this assumes a relatively constant level of exercise). My body does not react favorably to fasting or missing more than one meal; the resulting intestinal issues can be almost incapacitating as I can't get far from a bathroom (after effects of some surgery a while back). :o
I agree, especially restaurants. There is no way I can lose weight or even maintain weight if I eat out very often. Portions are generally huge, and I don't like to be wasteful. ;)
Desert,

Man do I feel your pain. The other trick is not having garbage around the house.

If you're anything like me, you'll benefit from having no breakfast, a light/healthy or no lunch, and a hearty meal when you come home that is either crock pot ready, quick enough to eat two hours before bed, or good leftovers.

There's nothing like coming home to any one of those options after a low/no calorie day.

But it sounds like you're retired so i guess I'd say if I were in the same scenario I'd definitely tilt towards active lifestyle with vegetable-heavy diet. Lots of awesome recipes lean on heathy doses of meats and tons of veggies with good sauces and seasonings. I almost never go out to eat and usually am disappointed when I do.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu May 17, 2018 11:42 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:56 pm
Lots of awesome recipes lean on heathy doses of meats and tons of veggies with good sauces and seasonings.
Moda, would you share a few?
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Fri May 18, 2018 8:19 am

moda0306 wrote:

If you're anything like me, you'll benefit from having no breakfast, a light/healthy or no lunch, and a hearty meal when you come home that is either
IDK how you guys do this and function at work. If I skip breakfast, I can barely think straight by 10:30. Add lunch and I'd be drilling through patients' cheeks. Not a good business plan.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri May 18, 2018 8:39 am

pugchief wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:19 am
IDK how you guys do this and function at work. If I skip breakfast, I can barely think straight by 10:30. Add lunch and I'd be drilling through patients' cheeks. Not a good business plan.
...coffee...

drinking bulletproof coffee, coffee with grass-fed butter and mtc oil when I have hard work and need energy is how I keep going till 1130+ without food, I do have some natural lack of appetite in the early am, and now that I have been eating this way for years it has become even more natural, I very seldom bonk before lunch time (drinking either regular black or souped up coffee). I suspect not everybody can do this depending on your health and metabolism but with I bit of acclimation time I bet most could expect to see some benefits..
"The future ain't what it used to be."

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri May 18, 2018 8:41 am

I always think about an orangutan mentioned in Roger Fouts' excellent book, 'Next of Kin' (which is mostly about Washoe the chimp).
This orang was happy and beloved by zoo-goers who were enthralled with his crayon drawings.
When the vets decided he was overweight, they reduced his meal portions and not long afterwards he started angrily eating the crayons and throwing his feces at his visitors and former fans.

Now, I haven't gotten quite that bad. (A woman at Tim Horton's did, the other day). But, I feel some kinship with that orang. Take away my morning protein and I get ragey.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:45 am

Maddy wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:42 pm
moda0306 wrote:
Lots of awesome recipes lean on heathy doses of meats and tons of veggies with good sauces and seasonings.
Moda, would you share a few?
Aarin's Salad

- Romaine, red onions, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, black olives, avocado, feta cheese chunks, anything else you like.

Shrimp & Brussel Sprouts

- Sautee 5 cloves of garlic in butter
- Add 2 lbs uncooked shrimp... cook lightly
- Add 2 lbs brussel sprouts (cut off butts)
- cook to desired tenderness.
- splash with desired amount of Balsamic Vinegar & salt/pepper to taste.

Ginger Chicken Stir Fry

Ginger Stir Fry Recipe:
Rice
2 Cups (uncooked) White Rice
3.5 Cups Water
Meat
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil (Coconut Oil for Paleo)
3 Chicken Breasts, thinly sliced
Sauce
2/3 cups Soy Sauce (low-sodium)
¼ cup Brown Sugar (not ideal for paleo… tasty without it)
1 Tsp Cornstarch (sub. Rice Flour for paleo)
1 Tbsp minced fresh Ginger
1 Tbsp minced Garlic
¼ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
Veggies
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil (Coconut Oil for Paleo)
2 Onions
2 Bell Peppers
A bunch of Pea Pods
Container of Portabella Mushrooms
4 Carrots (peeled and cut)
Others: Baby Corn, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, broccoli.

1) Slice Chicken (Easier when still semi-frozen).
2) Cook Rice. It’s always different depending on your rice-maker or pot, but generally simmer rice for 20-25 minutes in about twice as much water.
2) While Rice is cooking, make Sauce, mix well with fork (especially with rice flour, which doesn’t mix well).
3) Pour sauce on chicken as marinade, let sit for 15 minutes while you…
3) Heat Oil in pan, then throw in sliced vegetables. Cook until mostly soft.
4) Remove chicken from marinade, reserving liquid. Heat 1 Tbsp of Oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir chicken until slightly pink on the inside (4 minutes). Pour in vegetables and reserved marinade to skillet. Bring to a boil, cook and stir until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender (5-7 minutes).
5) Serve over Rice!!  

Pork & Kraut (not a ton of veggies but kraut & taters make a good filler):

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22863 ... auerkraut/

(Sub chicken broth instead of water... and I usually double the recipe).

I have a vegetable soup recipe but can't find/remember it.

Now that I think about it, it's more about adding vegetables wherever you can. Sometimes it's in the recipe. Sometimes it's just hammering down a bunch of cucumbers & tomatoes with salt & pepper on them... some times it's a huge salad. If you're only eating once or twice a day, and one of those meals is very heavy on vegetables and you go with healthy meats and good seasonings/sauces, you really can't go wrong.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri May 18, 2018 8:46 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:41 am
I always think about an orangutan mentioned in Roger Fouts' excellent book, 'Next of Kin' (which is mostly about Washoe the chimp).
This orang was happy and beloved by zoo-goers who were enthralled with his crayon drawings.
When the vets decided he was overweight, they reduced his meal portions and not long afterwards he started angrily eating the crayons and throwing his feces at his visitors and former fans.

Now, I haven't gotten quite that bad. (A woman at Tim Horton's did, the other day). But, I feel some kinship with that orang. Take away my morning protein and I get ragey.
Well, I must say that woman did lose some weight at Tim Horton's. :o
"Whoever drinks beer, he is quick to sleep; whoever sleeps long, does not sin; whoever does not sin, enters Heaven! Thus, let us drink beer!"
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri May 18, 2018 9:29 am

hahaha. Quickest weight loss ever.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:45 am

moda0306 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:45 am

Aarin's Salad

- Romaine, red onions, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, black olives, avocado, feta cheese chunks, anything else you like.

I love me a good salad, and that one sounds great. What would the dressing be?