Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by Don » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:40 pm

pugchief wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:04 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:23 pm
thisisallen wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:54 pm
As we know, the Japanese eat Allota rice. Yet they have some of the longest lifelongevity in the world. How do the no fiber gurus understand that phenomenon?
Do you really think steamed white rice has a lot of fiber? Carbs, yes. Fiber, no.
Ya, but carbs are supposed to be poison, according to the latest line of thought. So let's change Allen's question to "How do the no CARBS gurus understand that phenomenon?"
They are poison. At least to me. I believe they're poison for millions of people.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:29 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:41 am
Pug may question this, but as a 6 month experiment I have been brushing exclusively with Xylitol.

I am about 3 months in. There is no doubt that I have less plaque buildup and I have had zero gum issues. In the past, certainly every few weeks I'd have some level of gum irritation here or there for whatever reason, none since starting Xylitol.

You can search for how it works. And I'll give an update after my next checkup.

I'd also like to ask Pug, toothpaste is all marketing for the most part, right? If I look at "active" ingredients, it is mainly either Sodium Fluoride or Stannous Fluoride, and if I have one really expensive "Helps prevent bleeding gums" toothpaste with one vs. a cheaper alternative with the same active ingredient, they are basically the same?
Just got back from my latest visit after 6 months of nearly exclusive Xylitol brushing.

--Dentist rolled her eyes when I told her what I did
--No cavities
--Gum probing numbers seemed better than last time, a lot of 1s and 2s

Overall, I think I had a lot less intermittent gum problems strictly using Xylitol. She told me I should split the difference, brush once a day with fluoride, once with Xylitol. I can live with that.

So my teeth didn't fall out and my gums seem healthier. I would say it was at least on par if not slightly better than fluoride toothpaste for me, for a short time period.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:20 pm

on the topic of dentistry..
I have a couple cracked filling/teeth that need to be repaired right now and I am starting to get the feeling I have been sucked into a permanent patient plan, I was bad/neglectful with my teeth for a lot of years in my youth, and over a period of time in the last decade I got everything fixed, but now I am starting to have the work that was done as little as 5 or so years ago fall apart on me, they seem to have filled my mouth with planned obsolescence, I have had decent gums, strong teeth and no cavities since I finished getting caught up from the youthful neglect, and yet I am needing to get dental work done every year now as as the previous work breaks down... any good dental tips on what to ask for, watch for, or recommendations on getting work done that wont be breaking down at such a fast rate that a person with basically healthy teeth keeps needing constant yearly dental work done?
In a free society, the last refuge of the moron is tyranny.

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:12 pm

l82start wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:20 pm
I have a couple cracked filling/teeth that need to be repaired right now and I am starting to get the feeling I have been sucked into a permanent patient plan, I was bad/neglectful with my teeth for a lot of years in my youth, and over a period of time in the last decade I got everything fixed, but now I am starting to have the work that was done as little as 5 or so years ago fall apart on me, they seem to have filled my mouth with planned obsolescence, I have had decent gums, strong teeth and no cavities since I finished getting caught up from the youthful neglect, and yet I am needing to get dental work done every year now as as the previous work breaks down... any good dental tips on what to ask for, watch for, or recommendations on getting work done that wont be breaking down at such a fast rate that a person with basically healthy teeth keeps needing constant yearly dental work done?
Define "previous work breaks down": Are fillings cracking? Recurrent decay around margins? Porcelain fracturing off of crowns?
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:19 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:29 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:41 am
Pug may question this, but as a 6 month experiment I have been brushing exclusively with Xylitol.

I am about 3 months in. There is no doubt that I have less plaque buildup and I have had zero gum issues. In the past, certainly every few weeks I'd have some level of gum irritation here or there for whatever reason, none since starting Xylitol.

You can search for how it works. And I'll give an update after my next checkup.

I'd also like to ask Pug, toothpaste is all marketing for the most part, right? If I look at "active" ingredients, it is mainly either Sodium Fluoride or Stannous Fluoride, and if I have one really expensive "Helps prevent bleeding gums" toothpaste with one vs. a cheaper alternative with the same active ingredient, they are basically the same?
Just got back from my latest visit after 6 months of nearly exclusive Xylitol brushing.

--Dentist rolled her eyes when I told her what I did
--No cavities
--Gum probing numbers seemed better than last time, a lot of 1s and 2s

Overall, I think I had a lot less intermittent gum problems strictly using Xylitol. She told me I should split the difference, brush once a day with fluoride, once with Xylitol. I can live with that.

So my teeth didn't fall out and my gums seem healthier. I would say it was at least on par if not slightly better than fluoride toothpaste for me, for a short time period.
Glad you saw improvement. I would have rolled my eyes also, but would have been more careful about you detecting it. O0

Correlation does not imply causation. Xylitol has proven benefits for decay prevention, but I know of no study that has shown any effect on the gums. Just because you had no cavities this time, does not mean it was from the xylitol, but perhaps it helped. If putting xylitol in toothpaste had some benefit, you would think the major manufacturers would be falling all over each other to be the first to get to market with it. Just my opinion.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:28 am

pugchief wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:12 pm
l82start wrote:
Define "previous work breaks down": Are fillings cracking? Recurrent decay around margins? Porcelain fracturing off of crowns?
fillings cracking and fractured crowns, I believe I am at three fillings and one crown so far (counting the two I am about to get fixed which I don’t have full details on yet)
In a free society, the last refuge of the moron is tyranny.

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:49 am

l82start wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:28 am
pugchief wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:12 pm
l82start wrote:
fillings cracking and fractured crowns, I believe I am at three fillings and one crown so far (counting the two I am about to get fixed which I don’t have full details on yet)
You may be grinding/clenching your teeth while you sleep. Perhaps wearing a night guard would be beneficial. I prefer the NTI style, particularly when posterior teeth are cracking (clenching is the dominant parafunction). If porcelain is coming off of crowns, check for GERD, and have your dentist consider using monolithic zirconia when the crowns are replaced.

Obviously, without actually examining you and looking at xrays, this is all conjecture. If you have additional questions, PM me.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:58 am

I really wish Pugchief was my dentist.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:39 am

Desert wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:58 am
I really wish Pugchief was my dentist.
Thanks for the kind words.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:40 pm

Question, please.

I just had my 3rd crown installed today. Apparently, nice work like the others done up in New York. I did ask today if the 4th molar was susceptible and would I eventually need a crown- a matching set!! I asked, after all, as these molars had/ have "bomb crater" fillings from 60 years of Pepsi, Coke, M&Ms, Wonka Bars, etc., so I thought the question was reasonable. I am 63.5 years of age.

The dentist said the last molar has some stress fractures and that it could need a crown. No x-ray was taken as I asked at the conclusion of my visit. He said a crown would make the tooth stronger.

Should I get the crown done as a preemptive measure. It does sound like an approach different from my New York dentist whom I have been seeing for 32 years.

Thanks.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:31 pm

Tough call without multiple photos from all angles. If you're not having discomfort biting on it, I would probably watch it in perpetuity. I've seen many of these with fracture lines outlast the owner. But if you have symptoms, treatment is indicated.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 pm

Pug,

Thanks. I've read your many responses and was hoping you give an insightful reply.

It's great to have made your acquaintance.

And I may have 35+ years to go.

Cheers.