Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Favorite Podcasts?

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:19 am
Issues, Etc is a good one for me.

Of the most general interest here I think would be the regular interviews with Terry Mattingly, who is an old-school journalist and always has a good perspective on the news that we're hearing. He'll critique coverage, going through questions that should be asked, what's being left out, etc. He'll explain where the reporters are coming from on different issues and how that affects things. Sometimes he says they're doing things wrong and sometimes he says they're doing things right.
https://issuesetc.org/tag/terry-mattingly/

A recent one was the case of the cross-dressing Alabama mayor, where the media narrative was that the guy was outed by a conservative website because conservatives like to persecute sexual minorities. It turns out that the website did pretty much everything right, IIRC because multiple women had accused the mayor of using their names and likenesses inappropriately, so you have a criminal accusation against a public figure which can't be discussed without revealing the cross-dressing. They even talked to the guy before publishing to get his side of the story.

Finished this one:

https://issuesetc.org/2023/11/01/3051-t ... -11-01-23/

3051. New York Times Coverage of the Israel-Hamas War – Terry Mattingly, 11/01/23

He again used the word "very" several times plus told us what a country "feels" rather than what it "believes".

Also, the usual beginning hodge-podge and the middle interrupting commercials / promos.

Getting back to the beginning hodge-podge .. can anyone cite the Bible verse that proclaims November 1st as "All Saints Day". As I was just writing that it was repeated after the conclusion of the interview.

Mattingly reveals an obvious bias here towards his belief of the power of the media and specifically his own influence writing headlines. His belief in his and media's overall influence is quite overblown.

Give this one another B.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

No saint's feast day is commanded in the Bible, but the church has established them over the centuries. Here's some information about the feast of all the saints:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Saints%27_Day
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Of the most general interest here I think would be the regular interviews with Terry Mattingly, who is an old-school journalist and always has a good perspective on the news that we're hearing. He'll critique coverage, going through questions that should be asked, what's being left out, etc. He'll explain where the reporters are coming from on different issues and how that affects things. Sometimes he says they're doing things wrong and sometimes he says they're doing things right.

A recent one was the case of the cross-dressing Alabama mayor, where the media narrative was that the guy was outed by a conservative website because conservatives like to persecute sexual minorities. It turns out that the website did pretty much everything right, IIRC because multiple women had accused the mayor of using their names and likenesses inappropriately, so you have a criminal accusation against a public figure which can't be discussed without revealing the cross-dressing. They even talked to the guy before publishing to get his side of the story.

This one:

https://issuesetc.org/2023/11/15/3191-r ... -11-15-23/

3191. Responding to Objections to Religion News Coverage – Terry Mattingly, 11/15/23

Both Mattingly and the interviewer reveal their extreme bias in the subject matter when they give obvious their biased interpretations of the editor's two sentence response to why he did not run Mattingly's story.

Also, I suspect that when they are calling for religion coverage what they really mean is that we need religion coverage of the religion we believe in in all the ways that we believe in it.

They'd object if there was religious cover of ALL religions, that how can so much coverage be given to all these other religions when in the United States there are so many avowed Bible believers?

They'd object if it was only coverage of the Christian "religion" if they perceived liberals were being covered, the same way Evangelicals rejected President Obama as a believer because he was a liberal Democrat.

I'd give this one a grade of B / C.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

This one:

https://issuesetc.org/2023/11/22/3261-m ... -11-22-23/

3261. Media Coverage of House Speaker Mike Johnson’s Religious Beliefs – Terry Mattingly, 11/22/23

One statement made during this interview again reveals how both of them seem to be blind to their own biases.

They cite some current accepted beliefs as now being considered conservative when in the past they'd been considered liberal.

They are seemingly oblivious to those equally biased on the other side say the opposite -- that some current accepted beliefs as now being considered liberal when in the past they'd been considered conservative.

Another B / C grade.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

boglerdude wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:03 pm
> I am not able to precisely answer your question

Either he is AI or I am. Hope its me, studied gerontology for a while. Maybe I could upload myself to the cloud and troll for centuries

Also https://www.thisamericanlife.org/archive

I just scanned the various ones available. Current one not of interest to me. Other are and are not.

Starting with this one:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/805/th ... experiment

July 14, 2023
The Florida Experiment
Ron DeSantis says he'll do for America what he's done for Florida. So what's it like in Florida?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Either he is AI or I am. Hope its me, studied gerontology for a while. Maybe I could upload myself to the cloud and troll for centuries

One on Florida held my interest as did this one:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/807/eight-fights

August 4, 2023
Eight Fights
Nadia's family is split between Russia and Ukraine, which is pretty common. And when Russia invaded Ukraine, it didn’t just start fighting on the battlefield. It sparked family conflict, too. An intimate story of the war from writer Masha Gessen.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Another listenable one:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/810/say-it-to-my-face

September 15, 2023
Say It to My Face
Friends and ex-friends finally talk about the one thing between them they've been avoiding.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

geaux saints wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:54 pm
Misquoting Jesus with Bart Ehrman. I've never learned more from any one source than I have from Bart.

https://www.bartehrman.com/podcast/

Definitely an intelligent person who makes great arguments for what he believes.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:55 am
I'm certainly glad you enjoyed the good parts! You're right, the Israel/Hamas interview with him was also a good one. Was that the one about the changing headline and the challenges of writing headlines?

Issues, Etc is a radio show, 10 hours a week. What we've linked to is the "on-demand archives" which are segments of the show. You can also listen live online or on a handful of radio stations. Does that context help with the "hodgepodge"? The first segment of the day's show usually starts with a rundown of what's coming up. There are commercial breaks but they're easily skippable.

I believe you are correct about which interview it was.

I finally determined why the hodgepodge ... but it seems like it could have easily been edited out? How do I skip the commercial breaks?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:51 am
No saint's feast day is commanded in the Bible, but the church has established them over the centuries. Here's some information about the feast of all the saints:

It seems in contradiction to the constant proclamation of absolute truths. What is this "the church" that has the authority to establish that (and other ex-Biblical concepts)?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

All caught up!

So looking for more podcast recommendations from any of you.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Fighter Pilot Podcast by Vincent Aiello

The Hillsdale College Online Courses podcasts

The Humble Skeptic podcast by Shane Rosenthal

Thinking Fellows

White Horse Inn

Talks With Dad Rod

Christian History Almanac

Issues Etc. already mentioned by Xan

40 Minutes in the Old Testament

30 Minutes in the New Testament

Christian Doctrine by Joel Biermann
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

vnatale wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:03 pm
Xan wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:51 am No saint's feast day is commanded in the Bible, but the church has established them over the centuries. Here's some information about the feast of all the saints:
It seems in contradiction to the constant proclamation of absolute truths. What is this "the church" that has the authority to establish that (and other ex-Biblical concepts)?

There ARE absolute truths, but this isn't one of them. Nobody's saying that if you don't celebrate All Saints' Day then you're not a Christian. But that is what we celebrate on November 1. The Bible also doesn't describe weekly Sunday worship.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

vnatale wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:02 pm
Xan wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:55 am I'm certainly glad you enjoyed the good parts! You're right, the Israel/Hamas interview with him was also a good one. Was that the one about the changing headline and the challenges of writing headlines?

Issues, Etc is a radio show, 10 hours a week. What we've linked to is the "on-demand archives" which are segments of the show. You can also listen live online or on a handful of radio stations. Does that context help with the "hodgepodge"? The first segment of the day's show usually starts with a rundown of what's coming up. There are commercial breaks but they're easily skippable.
I believe you are correct about which interview it was.

I finally determined why the hodgepodge ... but it seems like it could have easily been edited out? How do I skip the commercial breaks?

Move the playback cursor forward by a couple of minutes.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:24 pm

Thinking Fellows

White Horse Inn

Talks With Dad Rod

Moutaineer came through! Plenty to sample above and for me to give my reviews after listening to them. Thanks!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

This would no doubt be of interest to me but too narrow given all the other podcast options available. So will not be listening to any of them.

Been getting their monthly publication for decades. Rarely read them.

But am starting with the first one of the courses. Will I learn why they use the word "Wars" rather than War? There was only ONE World War II.

Have enough time to listen to it in its entirety before I go into the Celtics pregame show.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 0628439629

The Second World Wars: The Stakes of World War II
The Hillsdale College Online Courses Podcast
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Thinking Fellows

White Horse Inn

Talks With Dad Rod

I'd have to rate this one poor, at best.

It's only 37 minutes long yet they wasted the first five minutes on unrelated chit chat. Then they interrupted for a few minutes in the middle for a fund raising appeal. He went through the entirety of all the events of World War II in about 7 minutes. The person speaking has an irritating tone to his voice. He in no way makes his argument with any convincing facts. I will go on to the next one but I hope that this first one was an aberration. Otherwise I will classify the Hillsdale College brand as not worthwhile.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 0628439629

The Second World Wars: The Stakes of World War II

In this inaugural episode of The Hillsdale College Online Courses Podcast, Kyle and Juan introduce The Second World Wars.

This seven-lecture course, taught by Hillsdale College President Larry P. Arnn and Wayne and Marcia Buske Distinguished Fellow Victor Davis Hanson, examines the causes of World War II and dives into the strategies that gave the Allies the upper hand over the Axis.

World War II can be understood in terms of two competing arguments regarding the nature of man. One argument views man primarily as part of a collective, shaped in decisive respects by race or class. This led to the invasion of peaceful lands and the organized slaughter of millions. The other argument views the human soul as free—never to be governed without consent. The unflinching insistence on this view led to liberation.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

And “this one” = ?
Gold tumbles as interest rates look to be staying high for now (APR30)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:57 pm
And “this one” = ?

How could I have been more obvious?

Below "this one" I gave:

1) My review

2) URL

3) Title

4) Content Description
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

vnatale wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:32 am
dualstow wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:57 pm And “this one” = ?
How could I have been more obvious?
By not quoting 11 podcast titles? That way one doesn’t have to guess what you’re reviewing, what you’re linking to, etc.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Wow!

As poor as the first podcast was .... this one was absolutely superb!

The first one by the President of Hillsdale College felt like it was being taught by an amateur, someone who put little preparation into the lecture.

On the other hand, this second lecture by Victor Davis Hanson, the author of many books, felt like you were listening to a Hall of Famer, who needed no preparation because he knew his material so intimately.

Recommended!!!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 1708031513

The Second World Wars: Air

On this episode of The Hillsdale College Online Courses Podcast, Kyle and Juan discuss the impact of air power on World War II and introduce Victor Davis Hanson.

This seven-lecture course, taught by Hillsdale College President Larry P. Arnn and Wayne and Marcia Buske Distinguished Fellow Victor Davis Hanson, examines the causes of World War II and dives into the strategies that gave the Allies the upper hand over the Axis.

During the interwar years, tremendous technological advances led several leading theorists to overestimate the importance of air power in World War II. They overlooked the inherent limitations of air power and failed to account for the indispensability of naval and ground operations. The lessons the Allied powers learned about air power in 1941-1943 led to the development of new technologies and tactics, which enabled them to achieve air superiority and eventually air supremacy.

See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Again no surprise that with Victor Davis Hanson again being the lecturer that this one is also superb!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 0630128881

The Second World Wars: Water

On this episode of The Hillsdale College Online Courses Podcast, Kyle and Juan discuss the impact of naval strategy on World War II and introduce Victor Davis Hanson.

At the beginning of World War II, naval doctrine emphasized the primacy of battleships in naval warfare. However, the war revealed the battleship’s limitations and the importance of a diversified and flexible fleet centered around aircraft carriers. The Allies’ ability to build and supply such a fleet allowed them to achieve naval supremacy first in the Atlantic and eventually in the Pacific.

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

vnatale wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:13 pm
Again no surprise that with Victor Davis Hanson again being the lecturer that this one is also superb!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 0630128881

The Second World Wars: Water

On this episode of The Hillsdale College Online Courses Podcast, Kyle and Juan discuss the impact of naval strategy on World War II and introduce Victor Davis Hanson.

At the beginning of World War II, naval doctrine emphasized the primacy of battleships in naval warfare. However, the war revealed the battleship’s limitations and the importance of a diversified and flexible fleet centered around aircraft carriers. The Allies’ ability to build and supply such a fleet allowed them to achieve naval supremacy first in the Atlantic and eventually in the Pacific.

Vinny, I'm glad you enjoyed a couple of those podcasts. I might add that in all the podcasts I listed, not every episode is a stellar winner. Many are great, many are good, a few I jumped over after listening for a few minutes. Podcasts are just like us - some days are great, some good, some fair, and a few stinkers to keep us appreciative of the great ones. ;-)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I like Conversations with Coleman (Hughes); Lexicon Valley (John McWhorter); Reveal; Scott Adams (although I disagree with up to 60% of it per episode); used to listen to a lot of Radiolab; and even though it’s pretty cheesy, Harry Shearer’s Le Show
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Did you guys see/listen to the Joe Rogan podcast with Dwayne Johnson?

Johnson had so many interesting stories to tell, but Rogan kept talking over him. It was very frustrating. >:(
MicroBachelors