Why the big move in gold?

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Why the big move in gold?

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:10 am Honestly I’m surprised there isn’t a thread on the knuckleheads forum right now where they’re all trying to convince themselves that gold is just a bubble… for the past 5000 years.
I guess they got tired of it. There are bogleheads who hold gold, but they do it more quietly now.

Edit: you might see some familiar names in this thread:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... &start=200
Gold tumbles as interest rates look to be staying high for now (APR30)
pmbug
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by pmbug »

I tried to join that forum some time ago. They banned me immediately before I could post one message. Lol.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

pmbug wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:31 pm I tried to join that forum some time ago. They banned me immediately before I could post one message. Lol.
Strange. You didn’t choose an obscene name or anything? O0
Seriously, probably an error.
pmbug
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by pmbug »

Same details (username, avatar, signature, registration email, etc.) as I used here. I guessed they didn't want me around because I like gold.
seajay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by seajay »

I suspect that the paper-gold to physical gold ratio will further increase from recent 122:1 levels. Looks like a big buyer, 100Bn, perhaps Russia, buying 1500 tonnes of physical gold, via Options (expiry settlement in physical gold rather than cash). With current sanctions those trades being applied via third parties (Zimbabwe ?). Not the more usual large trades at the gold fix time(s) that is more common with state level trades. Perhaps in response to the US looking to seize 300Bn of Russian owned US treasury's. The Option writers will be in panic trying to secure the physical gold prior to Option expiry, so some price (rigging) volatility is likely over coming days/weeks. Ultimately with more paper-gold having been created out of thin air. That will increase Russian gold reserves from 3000 tonnes to 4500 tonnes, but more importantly be in the form of physical gold.

Could become a recurring weekly game, he who has physical in their own vaults is king in a world where there's >100 times more paper gold than physical gold.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

pmbug wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:15 pm Same details (username, avatar, signature, registration email, etc.) as I used here. I guessed they didn't want me around because I like gold.
Well, you always have a home here O0
pmbug
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by pmbug »

Thanks!

~~~

Iran/Israel getting hot. China/SGE gold closed Friday at $2,434.73 - a $90 premium to the US close. Seems to me that gold is sitting on plenty of rocket fuel.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

So to speak, yes.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

"pmbug" sounds like a seller and they're fanatical about banning promotions. You could message the mods but you're not missing much. The personal finance section is good. Investing forum is the same endless discussions about tilting 6% or 6.2% to international/factors/metals
Last edited by boglerdude on Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

And you can read without logging in.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Don't forget the drive-by Taylor posts where inevitably says, "See what the experts think."
MicroBachelors
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

seajay wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:14 pm I suspect that the paper-gold to physical gold ratio will further increase from recent 122:1 levels. Looks like a big buyer, 100Bn, perhaps Russia, buying 1500 tonnes of physical gold, via Options (expiry settlement in physical gold rather than cash). With current sanctions those trades being applied via third parties (Zimbabwe ?). Not the more usual large trades at the gold fix time(s) that is more common with state level trades. Perhaps in response to the US looking to seize 300Bn of Russian owned US treasury's. The Option writers will be in panic trying to secure the physical gold prior to Option expiry, so some price (rigging) volatility is likely over coming days/weeks. Ultimately with more paper-gold having been created out of thin air. That will increase Russian gold reserves from 3000 tonnes to 4500 tonnes, but more importantly be in the form of physical gold.

Could become a recurring weekly game, he who has physical in their own vaults is king in a world where there's >100 times more paper gold than physical gold.

Seajay, are you saying that the ETFs are not backed by physical gold as they claim to be?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:56 pm
seajay wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:14 pm I suspect that the paper-gold to physical gold ratio will further increase from recent 122:1 levels. Looks like a big buyer, 100Bn, perhaps Russia, buying 1500 tonnes of physical gold, via Options (expiry settlement in physical gold rather than cash). With current sanctions those trades being applied via third parties (Zimbabwe ?). Not the more usual large trades at the gold fix time(s) that is more common with state level trades. Perhaps in response to the US looking to seize 300Bn of Russian owned US treasury's. The Option writers will be in panic trying to secure the physical gold prior to Option expiry, so some price (rigging) volatility is likely over coming days/weeks. Ultimately with more paper-gold having been created out of thin air. That will increase Russian gold reserves from 3000 tonnes to 4500 tonnes, but more importantly be in the form of physical gold.

Seajay, are you saying that the ETFs are not backed by physical gold as they claim to be?
The whole ETF is a mystery to me as to how any of them are backed up by anything? Do they actually own all the stock or whatever the same way a mutual fund does? I have never owned an ETF.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Stocks? Yes.
coasting
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by coasting »

While "paper gold" is often a term used to describe gold ETFs, from the context of Seajay's comments I instead understood him to be using "paper gold" to refer to gold options. In which case, yes the outstanding gold options could far exceed the physical gold available. Most traders close out the option position prior to expiry and collect the cash. What if they don't and instead say "I'll take it, deliver my gold". Seajay, am I interpreting your comments correctly?

As far as the ETFs actually being backed by physical gold - The ones I've looked into and/or owned publish the bar list with serial #s by vault on a daily basis. And per the prospectus are audited by a third party twice a year - once on a schedule date, once on a random date. The audit results are published, too. I may have other concerns, but actual physical gold backing is not one of them.
coasting
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by coasting »

vnatale wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:20 pm

The whole ETF is a mystery to me as to how any of them are backed up by anything? Do they actually own all the stock or whatever the same way a mutual fund does? I have never owned an ETF.
For stock/bond ETFs, yes they are backed the same as MFs and regulated the same.

Most of the products we refer to as ETFs are covered by the Investment Company Act of 1940 exactly the same as Mutual Funds. That is, your typical ETFs that hold stocks and bonds. However, gold ETFs are not covered by the "1940 act", and because of this, some sticklers don't like to call them Exchange Traded Funds. So we might use a more general term like "Exchange Traded Product". The gold ETPs are formed as trusts instead.

Here is from iShares page for IAU:
"The iShares Gold Trust is not an investment company registered under the Investment Company Act of 1940, and therefore is not subject to the same regulatory requirements as mutual funds or ETFs registered under the Investment Company Act of 1940. The Trust is not a commodity pool for purposes of the Commodity Exchange Act. Before making an investment decision, you should carefully consider the risk factors and other information included in the prospectus."

And then there are ETNs, Exchange Traded Notes, which are not backed by the underlying, whether it be stock, gold, whatever.

Stock/bond ETFs are ok, gold ETFs are probably ok, any ETN is very risky in my book.
pmbug
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by pmbug »

coasting wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:37 pm... "paper gold" is often a term used to describe ...
Futures contracts
welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe »

dualstow wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:37 pm I guess they got tired of it. There are bogleheads who hold gold, but they do it more quietly now.

Edit: you might see some familiar names in this thread:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... &start=200
This Boglehead conference attending boglehead holds gold, but yes, its not worth arguing about over there.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

O0 I like that they have conferences. Even though I tend not to meet people whom I get to know online first, I think it brings civility. I don’t think people would be quite so vicious with each other on social media if they had conferences.

Looks like gold is down today, along with stocks and bitcoin and- oop, gold is up! 2380!
welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe »

Goldbugs haven't done themselves any favors, generally resorting to arguments alike that of whole life salesman. All end of the world scenarios that have never come true (thankfully). Unfortunately those over the top arguments sit like a fog over the very legitimate arguments like inflation protection, risk parity etc.
pmbug
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by pmbug »

Speaking of which, end of the world talk is now mainstream:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... -dystopia/
snedgar

Post by snedgar »

pmbug wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:37 am Speaking of which, end of the world talk is now mainstream:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... -dystopia/
That's a good article. Bypassed the paywall using archive.today
pmbug
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by pmbug »

Sorry! I didn't even realize there was a paywall. I have NoScript extension installed on my browsers and rarely see paywalls when I browse.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

From Hot Dogs to Gold Bars: Costco's Latest Offering Is a Huge Hit
By: Brenden Rearick
Editor: Jordan Chussler
Published: Apr 16, 20247 min read

https://money.com/costco-is-selling-out ... aily_money
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

^
With the bonuses Costco offers on precious metal purchases, in fact, some buyers may effectively eliminate the premium. Those who buy their bars at the store using Citigroup credit cards are eligible for 2% cash back on their purchase. Executive members at Costco can receive an additional 2% cash back.
^

That is amazing and I feel a bit envious. I wanted to buy gold in March but had to take a trip and was afraid I wouldn’t be there to receive delivery. Wish I had taken my chances!