Putin Invades Ukraine II

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Putin Invades Ukraine II

Post by dualstow »

Xan wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:01 pm stuper was responding to seajay's assertion that Russia moved ethnic Russians into the Donbass before the invasion, in order to justify it and/or make it easier. stuper was pointing out that Russians have been living there a long time.
I know. That’s why I said “how about something more timely”
If you were unable to log into Bitwarden today around 3:30pm EST, you’re not alone. (May 6) That was brief, but unsettling.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

dualstow wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:37 pm
Xan wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:01 pm stuper was responding to seajay's assertion that Russia moved ethnic Russians into the Donbass before the invasion, in order to justify it and/or make it easier. stuper was pointing out that Russians have been living there a long time.
I know. That’s why I said “how about something more timely”

Never mind! </gildaradner>
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

O0
If you were unable to log into Bitwarden today around 3:30pm EST, you’re not alone. (May 6) That was brief, but unsettling.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Russia has hit a hotel full of journalists with a ballistic missile,
but remember: this is Ukrainian propaganda and it’s NATO’s fault /s
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:56 am
Russia has hit a hotel full of journalists with a ballistic missile,
but remember: this is Ukrainian propaganda and it’s NATO’s fault /s

The famed Dualstow sarcasm!

But is it true that this is not an "active" war as World I and and World II were as there were seemingly battles every day? Even at the height of our latest Iraq War it seemed like there were more daily battles? Seems that if they were happening we'd know about them in several ways?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Whatever the semantics, it seems pretty active to me. Maybe the news is tiring of reporting every skirmish.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:47 am
Whatever the semantics, it seems pretty active to me. Maybe the news is tiring of reporting every skirmish.

It's no longer just Walter Cronkike and the other two of the Big 3 supplying us with news. Now we all have multiple sources of news. One of us from one of our sources would see that some major activity is going on. It seems that Putin has decided to be quite restrained for a long time now. Restrained in comparison to what he could be doing.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:47 am

This is supposed to be the first war of a certain type since World War II? Now I know that that war was different than this one because we were directly involved but contrast the war news all over page one of The New York Times 80 years ago to what we are hearing about what is going on in Ukraine.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (149.28 KiB) Viewed 62388 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

For what it’s worth, I see something about the war every single day in the Financial Times.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:07 am
For what it’s worth, I see something about the war every single day in the Financial Times.

Something in one specialized newspaper. I might see one in my local newspaper and nowhere near the front page.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Well, maybe you’re making too many comparisons to WWII.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:57 am
Well, maybe you’re making too many comparisons to WWII.

1. Yesterday I did read my Monday - Wednesday editions of my local paper. In each there seemed to be one obligatory AP article on the war. Only one had any references to any casualties, which were slight compared to a major war.

2. Then I was later reading a book on the air war in Europe. Just on the day of October 10, 1943 there was an incredible amount of casualties and deaths on both sides - both on the part of the Allies attacking Germany and the Germans defending.

I only made the comparison because I thought I'd both read and heard many times .... this is the first war since World War II wherein .....
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Yandex co-founder breaks ranks to condem ‘barbaric’ war in Ukraine
The co-founder of Russian tech giant Yandex1 has spoken out against the “barbaric” war in Ukraine, an unusual public criticism from one of the country’s leading businessmen.
— Financial Times
August 11, 2023 (print edition)

Yandex is kind of like the Russian Google.
1. Arkady Volozh
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:48 am
Yandex co-founder breaks ranks to condem ‘barbaric’ war in Ukraine

The co-founder of Russian tech giant Yandex1 has spoken out against the “barbaric” war in Ukraine, an unusual public criticism from one of the country’s leading businessmen.

— Financial Times
August 11, 2023 (print edition)

Yandex is kind of like the Russian Google.
1. Arkady Volozh

I am surprised that he did not use the word "brutal" as just about every other time I read or hear it's:

"Brutal" war

"Brutal" dictator
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Maybe the translator got bored.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:59 am
Maybe the translator got bored.

Or, maybe it's only an American thing where there seems to be no other descriptive word except for "brutal".
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Could be. Newspaper writing just isn’t what it used to be.

In the same Financial Times issue, I saw an article about grain exports, mostly wheat. It says Russia is already the world’s largest exporter of wheat, and now that they’re targeting Ukrainian grain terminals, they want to push Ukraine out and be a larger share of world grain exports. Very gangster-like.

Putin has promised some free grain to several African nations.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:08 pm
Could be. Newspaper writing just isn’t what it used to be.

In the same Financial Times issue, I saw an article about grain exports, mostly wheat. It says Russia is already the world’s largest exporter of wheat, and now that they’re targeting Ukrainian grain terminals, they want to push Ukraine out and be a larger share of world grain exports. Very gangster-like.

Is the same when people are speaking: "brutal" is always the chosen word.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

vnatale wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:21 pm
dualstow wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:08 pm Could be. Newspaper writing just isn’t what it used to be.

Is the same when people are speaking: "brutal" is always the chosen word.
I love this forum. Where else can you see 'gangster-like', 'brutal', and 'free' in the same set of posts? ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Mountaineer wrote:
I love this forum. Where else can you see 'gangster-like', 'brutal', and 'free' in the same set of posts? ;D
My local park?
(not really) O0
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

dualstow wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:08 pm

…Financial Times issue, I saw an article about grain exports, mostly wheat. It says Russia is already the world’s largest exporter of wheat, and now that they’re targeting Ukrainian grain terminals, they want to push Ukraine out and be a larger share of world grain exports. Very gangster-like.

This blogger says that the West reneged on the grain deal first.
https://halfreeman.wordpress.com/
Beginning at
First, the Russians agreed they would not interfere with grain being shipped …
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

US doubts increase over strategy of Kyiv counteroffensive
US officials are increasingly critical of Ukraine's counteroffensive strategy and gloomy about its prospect of success, deepening tensions between Kyiv and Washington at the most critical point in the war since Russia's full-scale invasion.
— Financial Times, print, today
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:54 am
US doubts increase over strategy of Kyiv counteroffensive

US officials are increasingly critical of Ukraine's counteroffensive strategy and gloomy about its prospect of success, deepening tensions between Kyiv and Washington at the most critical point in the war since Russia's full-scale invasion.

— Financial Times, print, today

These US officials are privately saying this? I assume not in public?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

The article merely says “US Officials” throughout without names, so I guess semi-privately is the answer.
Jake Sullivan is mentioned, but not for the quote above.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Oopser doopsers. Was Prigozhin on the plane?