Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

captain3d
Associate Member
Associate Member

Cash ETF round up

Post by captain3d »

Hi All

Just checking out the latest choices (and old ones)

SHY
TUZ
SCHO
All seem good 1 - 3 year treasury ETFs

SHV is one year

BIL is a new one for me and says it is 1 - 3 months T bills (0.14% expenses)

As I am forced to use less than perfect bond options in my 401k for cash I want something as conservative as possible outside teh 401k for the balance of my cash portion. Was going to go for SHV until I saw BIL. Anyone using it?

phil
Pkg Man
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Cash ETF round up

Post by Pkg Man »

Why not just buy T-bills from TreasuryDirect since outside the 401k?
"Machines are gonna fail...and the system's gonna fail"
captain3d
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by captain3d »

Thanks All

I ended up mixing a few of them, including BIL and SHV, as I have an account at www.foliofn.com which has unlimited trades ($270 a year) and allows fractional share buying etc.

I have never actually bought treasuries directly but sometimes the obvious answer is overlooked - thanks. Maybe I will go and open an account there.

phil
Pkg Man
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pkg Man »

captain3d wrote: Thanks All

I ended up mixing a few of them, including BIL and SHV, as I have an account at www.foliofn.com which has unlimited trades ($270 a year) and allows fractional share buying etc.

I have never actually bought treasuries directly but sometimes the obvious answer is overlooked - thanks. Maybe I will go and open an account there.

phil
Once you are up and running buying Tbills is pretty simple.  You can buy a mix of Tbills (one-year, six-months, 30-days) to create your own preferred average maturity, and have them automatically reinvest if you wish.  I can't speak for how easy or hard it is to sell them though.  I think a blend of cash assets is best for convenience.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

Pkg Man wrote: Once you are up and running buying Tbills is pretty simple.  You can buy a mix of Tbills (one-year, six-months, 30-days) to create your own preferred average maturity, and have them automatically reinvest if you wish.  I can't speak for how easy or hard it is to sell them though.  I think a blend of cash assets is best for convenience.
You have to go through a broker to sell them now, but if you just let them mature without renewing, the money is deposited back into your bank account. 
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
Pkg Man
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pkg Man »

Adam1226 wrote:
Pkg Man wrote: Once you are up and running buying Tbills is pretty simple.  You can buy a mix of Tbills (one-year, six-months, 30-days) to create your own preferred average maturity, and have them automatically reinvest if you wish.  I can't speak for how easy or hard it is to sell them though.  I think a blend of cash assets is best for convenience.
You have to go through a broker to sell them now, but if you just let them mature without renewing, the money is deposited back into your bank account. 
Thanks.  I think that is a good reason to hold a mix -- some pure Tbills, I/EE bonds for the cash you are unlikely to need for rebalancing, and some in SHY/SHY for ease of sale.