What Does Life Look Like For You Now?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What Does Life Look Like For You Now?

Post by vnatale » Fri May 22, 2020 7:56 pm

l82start wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:54 pm
that looks good ... added to wish list..
Finished reading Body Science tonight.

Next step is to reread it much more slowly in a studying fashion with an eye for implementation.

How much do you do of what the book proscribes?

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri May 22, 2020 8:58 pm

i am (in hiatus :-[ ) doing the body weight version of this*. i follow it as closely as i can, my biggest difficulty is tracking, i have mostly gone it by feel, i suspect that charting reps etc. would give even better results.. the important part is good form, slow reps, and making it difficult {NOT EASY} by avoiding all the cheats like using momentum..

and resting sufficiently.. when you work out on each exercise to the point of momentary muscle failure 12 or so minutes of exercise can give you a worked muscle feeling that can last a week. recovery time is necessary

* "project kratos" another good book
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat May 23, 2020 10:15 am

Huh, my biggest bodyweight-related problem has been going down 2 pant sizes in the past several months. This weekend I will re-acquaint myself with my grandmother's Singer sewing machine from the late 1950s.

The diet is not really a diet anymore, it's all on autopilot. No tracking or charting of any kind. All I have to do is avoid sugar and grains, and keep a lid on starchy foods like potatoes and squash.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat May 23, 2020 10:19 am

sophie wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:15 am
Huh, my biggest bodyweight-related problem has been going down 2 pant sizes in the past several months.
The diet is not really a diet anymore, it's all on autopilot. No tracking or charting of any kind.
Congratulations!
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Sat May 23, 2020 2:31 pm

sophie wrote:
Huh, my biggest bodyweight-related problem has been going down 2 pant sizes in the past several months. This weekend I will re-acquaint myself with my grandmother's Singer sewing machine from the late 1950s.

The diet is not really a diet anymore, it's all on autopilot. No tracking or charting of any kind. All I have to do is avoid sugar and grains, and keep a lid on starchy foods like potatoes and squash.
Nice! Congrats.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat May 23, 2020 2:55 pm

sophie wrote:
This weekend I will re-acquaint myself with my grandmother's Singer sewing machine from the late 1950s.
Is it a treadle? I sewed my first shirt on a treadle that I helped my mom restore when I was about 10. I still prefer them for the fine tuned control and torque. The motorized sewing machines feel like driving a car with an automatic transmission.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat May 23, 2020 3:15 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:56 pm
How much do you do of what the book proscribes?
Vinny
You're a trouble maker and a rebel, Vinny.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon May 25, 2020 9:30 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:55 pm
sophie wrote:
This weekend I will re-acquaint myself with my grandmother's Singer sewing machine from the late 1950s.
Is it a treadle? I sewed my first shirt on a treadle that I helped my mom restore when I was about 10. I still prefer them for the fine tuned control and torque. The motorized sewing machines feel like driving a car with an automatic transmission.
It's electric with a foot pedal. Not quite as old as I thought (it's a 1964 600E) but it is still a beauty. It weighs about 3x as much as a modern machine, so you know it's made with quality parts. I cleaned and oiled it, and it's working perfectly except for one stuck lever. I found youtube videos for it so I might be able to fix it myself.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon May 25, 2020 10:08 pm

sophie wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:30 am
It's electric with a foot pedal. Not quite as old as I thought (it's a 1964 600E) but it is still a beauty. It weighs about 3x as much as a modern machine, so you know it's made with quality parts. I cleaned and oiled it, and it's working perfectly except for one stuck lever. I found youtube videos for it so I might be able to fix it myself.
What a fun project. Tactile, mental and a visceral connection to your family. Those are things worth doing.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon May 25, 2020 10:44 pm

Just because it's late on a holiday weekend and Sophie has me reminiscing.

I do miss my uncle, my mom's brother. Otherwise known as the greatest man that ever lived.

When I was a kid, my mom sent me to live with him for a few summers because she said that my step-dad would never be able to teach me to be a man.

I remember one evening, my uncle and my mom were having a sewing contest of some sort. I don't remember the details. I said something stupid like, "You're sewing? I thought only women sewed?". My uncle looked me squarely in the eye and said, "That's right. Only women sew. Men build stuff. Come here, I'm going to show you how to build a shirt."

The next day he showed me how to build a pumpkin pie.

And, later, through the years, he showed me how to build a ski boat and how to build a roadster and how to build a beehive and how to stock it with wild bees and how to build a house and how to break a horse and how to build pruno and how to drive a stick shift...

Then I didn't see him for about twenty years while I got lost in growing up and raising my own family. In 1993, he called me up and said that I should come visit him because it would be better if he were alive during the visit. Then he showed me how to insert a catheter so that he could urinate - and he said, "You need to see this. It's important that you don't go down this road."

He died three days after I left. I didn't go the funeral. There was nothing that I needed from the rest of the family.

I still build stuff. Even my mom doesn't know my uncle's pumpkin pie recipe. But I do.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Mon May 25, 2020 11:38 pm

You're a great writer, Mark. Love your storytelling.
Mechanical engineer, history buff, treasure manager... totally not Ben Gates
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Tue May 26, 2020 6:50 am

Tyler wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:38 pm
You're a great writer, Mark. Love your storytelling.
Indeed. Many takeaways in there, but what got me the most was the 20 years that you missed seeing him. We all tend to take cherished relationships for granted whether family or friends, and only realize this after it is too late. The one thing you can never get back is time.