Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by Smith1776 »

I'm turning my next programming adventures to video game design. I'd like to make a 2D RPG in the style of Stardew Valley. The missus says she'd be happy with the artwork while I handle the programming side. I'll keep you guys updated on this new project.

Right now I'm looking at this framework to get started: https://www.rpgmakerweb.com/

Before starting I actually took a free course that HP has available on edX. This one was actually really great.

https://www.edx.org/certificates/profes ... evelopment
MicroBachelors
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Cool. Will there be Harry Browne easter eggs?

How far along are you with the book?
Gold tumbles as interest rates look to be staying high for now (APR30)
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:14 pm Cool. Will there be Harry Browne easter eggs?

How far along are you with the book?
I axed the book project and decided to just make it into a website. A book takes more time and effort, and ironically it will probably get less readership than a simple website that's offered online for anyone to read.

I just remember how arduous the journey was with my first book...

And yes, I'll add in some HB and PP easter eggs for sure!
MicroBachelors
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Happy Humpday everyone! What fun things did you do today?
I had a great lunch with my wife and my cousin who came for a 3 day visit - first time in several years since I had seen her (cousin that is 🤣 ). We went to our favorite local Mexican restaurant where we know the staff and the menu quite well. Good times!
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Well M, I took [flak] from the wife, but made plans to go out with friends soon.
Enjoyed food from a bakery (although that’s where the [flak] occurred), played with the cat, read a lot.
[ redacted later ]
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Yikes, dualstow, is everything okay? ???

Today I'm doing some work on these courses I'm taking, then continuing with the video game project. The missus and I are also playing The Sims in our spare time... such a great way to spend time with a lady friend!
MicroBachelors
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

An outage here from last night until just a short while ago?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

vnatale wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:46 pm An outage here from last night until just a short while ago?
A bot has been hammering the site. The web server spun up so many instances that the machine ran out of RAM, and the kernel killed the database in response. Without the database nothing works.

I've established sensible limits on the number of web server instances.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:50 pm
vnatale wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:46 pm An outage here from last night until just a short while ago?
A bot has been hammering the site. The web server spun up so many instances that the machine ran out of RAM, and the kernel killed the database in response. Without the database nothing works.

Thanks for the explanation and putting something in place that will prevent this from again being a problem.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

vnatale wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:58 pm

Thanks for the explanation and putting something in place that will prevent this from again being a problem.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:02 pm
vnatale wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:58 pm

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.
Only if the forum is open!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Yay, back online!
Smith1776 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:41 pm Yikes, dualstow, is everything okay? ???
Oh yeah, just venting :-)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Xan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:50 pm A bot has been hammering the site.

Is it Semrush?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

It appears to be "ClaudeBot". ??
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

And then an IP address belonging to Alibaba started hammering us. Weird. Had to block that one.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Thanks Big Xan and Big Dualie for your efforts to keep us going. 👍🏼👍🏼
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

> Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you

dark skin? nighteye.app works but then messes up other sites, even when disabled.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Mountaineer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:22 pm Thanks Big Xan and Big Dualie for your efforts to keep us going. 👍🏼👍🏼
It’s all Xan. All I did was whine to Xan. O0
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

dualstow wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:58 am
Mountaineer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:22 pm Thanks Big Xan and Big Dualie for your efforts to keep us going. 👍🏼👍🏼
It’s all Xan. All I did was whine to Xan. O0
We should get together for a whine and cheese party! You bring the whine, I'll bring the cheese. Xan can bring the lobster bisque, caesar salad, filets cooked perfectly, the sautéed broccoli rabe, sourdough bread, and the cream brûlée. ;-)
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

The missus and I are going to an amusement park tonight for roller coasters, cotton candy, and the usual fare.

It's been years since I've been on a roller coaster... my mind will probably be making all kinds of analogies about the market being a roller coaster.
MicroBachelors
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:33 pm The missus and I are going to an amusement park tonight for roller coasters, cotton candy, and the usual fare.

It's been years since I've been on a roller coaster... my mind will probably be making all kinds of analogies about the market being a roller coaster.
Last time I was on a roller coaster in any form was Space Mountain, Disneyworld, 1987. I thought it was going to be some fantasy ride. The moment it started I realized it was a roller coaster in the dark and all I wanted was for it to end!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:38 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:33 pm The missus and I are going to an amusement park tonight for roller coasters, cotton candy, and the usual fare.

Last time I was on a roller coaster in any form was Space Mountain, Disneyworld, 1987. I thought it was going to be some fantasy ride. The moment it started I realized it was a roller coaster in the dark and all I wanted was for it to end!
Just got back home from our adventures... bumper cars were definitely my favourite.

I was mostly disappointed that they didn't accept bitcoin as payment there. ::)
MicroBachelors
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (76.09 KiB) Viewed 56 times