Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Daily "Check In" Thread For Us

Post by dualstow » Sat May 23, 2020 3:30 pm

Each picture is better than the one before it.
”My option is to displace the mayor of New York City and bring in the National Guard -- as the governor, in a state of emergency -- and basically take over the mayor's job," Cuomo said. He quickly added that, "I don't think we are at that point,"
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:02 pm

I've got a date tonight, guys! Dinner at Old Spaghetti Factory. Wish me luck! O0
Check out the Goldsmith PP: https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9613
The government causing inflation and giving us TIPS is like breaking our legs and giving us crutches.
Broscience -- Word of mouth knowledge passed off as fact, primarily among bodybuilders + weightlifters.
Lily is the official mascot of the Gyroscopic Investing forum.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Sat May 23, 2020 9:44 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:02 pm
I've got a date tonight, guys! Dinner at Old Spaghetti Factory. Wish me luck! O0
Rock it, dude. Good luck.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:46 pm

So, first date with the girl went pretty well. Let's call her Hannah. We met at 6:30 last night and started off with a walk around the pier and harbour in her neighbourhood. We've been talking pretty extensively, so a first kiss actually happened after about an hour. We participated in the 7pm cheer for healthcare workers. A thought popped into my mind about how long that cheer will continue for, given that the city is striving to return to normal-is life.

I had made a reservation at The Old Spaghetti Factory restaurant. It was one of the few places in the city I could get a seat at all. And even then it was the non-prime hour of 8:15pm. We went there after our walk and, of course, the place was only operating at half-capacity. The feeling of the restaurant just isn't the same without the hustle and bustle of people. One of the reasons why you eat in a restaurant, especially on a date, is the atmosphere. I can make pasta at home. I come to the restaurant for service and environment.

One note, which I'm not sure if I should be proud or ashamed of: when Hannah went to the bathroom I asked the waiter to bring split bills at the end of the meal without asking. This sidestepped that potentially awkward situation I've had in the past of who's going to pay. I still haven't talked to her about my desire to be an equal partner who splits everything though. So that issue isn't resolved, just sidestepped. I do wonder if she was expecting me to pay though. When I'm in a restaurant, I usually just order a main course to keep my costs down. And even then I'm usually pretty conservative. I just got a simple pasta dish. She ordered steak and fries, a rum and coke, and dessert on top of that. I have had experiences were the date seems to be aggressive in ordering simply because they're expecting to be paid for... Hard to say if that was her intention.

Afterwards I took her home and we sat outside her apartment in my car for a considerable time. We had great conversation about life, future plans, whether we wanted kids, and the other usual "get to know you" topics. Some intimate stuff did happen, but we didn't go all the way in the car or anything. At about 1:30 we figured it was pretty late so we said goodbye for the evening.

P.S. I showed her my gold coins that I hold in my wallet when were sitting in the restaurant. ;D
Check out the Goldsmith PP: https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9613
The government causing inflation and giving us TIPS is like breaking our legs and giving us crutches.
Broscience -- Word of mouth knowledge passed off as fact, primarily among bodybuilders + weightlifters.
Lily is the official mascot of the Gyroscopic Investing forum.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun May 24, 2020 6:31 pm

Sounds like a productive date. The fact that she sat in the car with you and 'intimate things happened' means to me that she was not offended by the split dinner invoice, which is a good sign. Good luck!
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Mon May 25, 2020 12:10 am

Sounds great Smith. Thanks for the update.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon May 25, 2020 9:06 am

Smith, that was quick! Not too many days ago you thought the world practically came to an end.

Visit to community garden today. The online seed companies and the local nurseries are out of stock on just about everything, so I'm planting what I have and/or have managed to find. It seems gardening is THE thing to do now. If any of you guys are planning gardens, better start collecting what you need now if you haven't already done so.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon May 25, 2020 12:19 pm

sophie wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:06 am
Smith, that was quick! Not too many days ago you thought the world practically came to an end.

Visit to community garden today. The online seed companies and the local nurseries are out of stock on just about everything, so I'm planting what I have and/or have managed to find. It seems gardening is THE thing to do now. If any of you guys are planning gardens, better start collecting what you need now if you haven't already done so.
I actually have a farm stand right across the street from me that both sells both vegetable and flower plants for planting. Also, tons available a few miles from my house.

I have some packets of old seeds that I may finally plant this week. What is the general success rate of planting old seeds?

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon May 25, 2020 5:50 pm

sophie wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:06 am
That made me think of an article I read on community gardens in Chicago. OMG, the politicians in IL are just sooo bad.

Last Year It Cost $5 For West Side Community Gardens To Tap Into City Water. Now The Price Is $1,700
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Tue May 26, 2020 9:10 am

Tapping into fire hydrants doesn't sound like a good idea. For that price though they could probably dig a well and have free water forever, or set up a city water connection. I know don't tell me, the requirements for a well in the city would inflate the cost by several orders of magnitude. Thankfully, my garden is not dependent on hydrant hacking.

I'm not sure how much water they really need though. I was worried about long stretches in the garden between rainfalls especially this past week, because I can really only visit the garden on weekends. A wiser, experienced friend told me that most people over-water, and if you let nature do its thing the plants grow strong root systems. Seems she was right - the garden looked amazing yesterday and I even gathered a few salad's worth of greens.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Tue May 26, 2020 6:30 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:19 pm

I have some packets of old seeds that I may finally plant this week. What is the general success rate of planting old seeds?

Vinny
Depending on the type and how they are stored, seeds only last a few years a a general rule.

I tried lettuce that were about 25 years old that I found and no go.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Tue May 26, 2020 8:14 pm

shekels wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:30 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:19 pm

Vinny
Depending on the type and how they are stored, seeds only last a few years a a general rule.

I tried lettuce that were about 25 years old that I found and no go.
+1. Probably best to get some new seeds.

A very useful book is "The Seed Savers Handbook". Might be worth a trip to the library.
Also worthwhile is a series called "Discovering Soils" of about ten booklets. Looks like they are free now so have a hunt around on the CSIRO website. Heh, even remember the dust storms in the introductory book below ;)

Introductory Booklet link: https://publications.csiro.au/rpr/pub?p ... 326517296f

Memories:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYyM2R-eQ3I