THE ALLEGORY OF THE HAWK AND SERPENT

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

ppnewbie

Post by ppnewbie » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:05 pm

Folks may want to check out this research from Artemis Capital. After a lot of research, I think this researcher came up with the PP or the Golden Butterfly. I listened to the recording yesterday and will read through the paper in the next day or two. He has an interesting perspective and it would be great if the smart people of the forum took a look at his work and commented. Specifically, he talks about being long volatility which I do not fully understand (he seems to be talking stocks).

Anyway - as an amateur, I will read the paper as well.

https://www.artemiscm.com/research - Main website
https://docsend.com/view/taygkbn - The paper
https://www.artemiscm.com/artemis-audio-recording - Recording

--- Research Intro ---
HOW TO BUILD A PORTFOLIO THAT LASTS 100 YEARS
I want you to imagine that you have the opportunity to grant your family great wealth and prosperity for 100 years subject to one important choice. You must decide what assets to invest in and maintain that allocation for an entire century without ever changing it. The future of your children’s children depends on your choice. What do you do?

The Allegory of the Hawk and the Serpent is a philosophic map to understanding the generational cycle of wealth creation, destruction, and rebirth to guide your investment decisions and protect your prosperity.
----------------------
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: THE ALLEGORY OF THE HAWK AND SERPENT

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:03 am

i had to give up listening after 19 minutes .... it was just to long and dry for my taste and i lost interest , but thanks anyway
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:46 am

I looked through the presentation...definitely non-standard (which is fine)

Quibbles...not sure how they derived historical performance as far back as they did for both long volatility and futures pie wedges. Maybe it was in the notes somewhere but I am unaware of data sets going back that far for both. 18% seems huge to me for the long vol wedge. That is going to be a significant "insurance cost" annually. Also, trend following futures has decidedly not worked for over a decade, granted it has not been a great time for such a strategy. There is a bit of debate that this former market edge has been arbitraged away.

Anyway, it might be a great strategy but if anyone were going to do this I would spend a TON of time going through and understanding the details.
Vil

Post by Vil » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:55 am

Hi guys

Thanks for sharing. I read through it, indeed sounds interesting. How does the commodity trending actually work as diversifier ? As far as I can recall in some articles it was stated that correlation with bonds tends to be rather negative, while with stocks it's a sort of 'never know' although in the last years its quite negative.