Moderator: Global Moderator

pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

San Francisco

Post by pugchief » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:57 pm

foglifter wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:39 pm
I'm glad I don't live in San Francisco. When several major conferences move to other cities because of dirty streets this is telling... But that would be a topic for a separate thread.
Here's the new thread. Can you elaborate on where you see this going? How much convention revenue (which is a sh!t-ton of $ as they grossly overcharge the out-of-towners) and tourism are these cities going to lose before they come to their senses? Or will they just arrogantly shrug it off and make up for lost revenue by raising taxes on locals even more?
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: San Francisco

Post by boglerdude » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:28 pm

Cost of freedom. You cant tell an adult what they're allowed to do with their own body (fentanyl) and you cant lock up the mentally ill because it turns into the Cuckoo's Nest.

Getting rid of minimum wage would get half the bums working, but that sounds mean to voters.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:35 am

boglerdude wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:28 pm
Cost of freedom. You cant tell an adult what they're allowed to do with their own body (fentanyl) and you cant lock up the mentally ill because it turns into the Cuckoo's Nest.

Getting rid of minimum wage would get half the bums working, but that sounds mean to voters.
I agree with all of the above (except maybe putting the mentally ill in a facility; locking them up implies jail).

So what happens as more conventions go elsewhere? I assure you, the city is not happy about this, but no one bothered to think about the longer term consequences of their policies.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:11 am

boglerdude wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:28 pm
The cost of freedom isn't carried by other people, it's on the individual. Do all the drugs you want; when you steal or rob to support your drug habit, you forfeit your freedom. You can be insane, but when you're harassing passers-by or taking shits in the middle of a store, you forfeit your freedom.
There are several thousand nearly complete viral genomes integrated into the human genome, most now inert or missing a crucial gene. These account for 1.3% of the entire genome. That may not sound like much, but 'proper' genes account for only 3%. If you think being descended from apes is bad for your self-esteem, then get used to the idea that you are also descended from viruses.
Ridley, Genome
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:53 am

I doubt the city will do anything, regardless of how bad it gets. Bureaucratic organizations are fundamentally unable to admit that they made a mistake. They may "tweak" policies but they will never, ever roll them back.

Also, conventions pulling out of San Francisco may be simply due to higher total cost of attendance. In my field, there are no conventions in that city at all. We go to places like Baltimore, New Orleans, Austin, or Atlanta. I don't think SF is even feasible for biomedical conferences given that there is an NIH-mandated cap on reimburseable daily hotel costs. In cheaper cities, we're already getting close to that cap.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:12 pm

sophie wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:53 am
I doubt the city will do anything, regardless of how bad it gets. Bureaucratic organizations are fundamentally unable to admit that they made a mistake. They may "tweak" policies but they will never, ever roll them back.

Also, conventions pulling out of San Francisco may be simply due to higher total cost of attendance. In my field, there are no conventions in that city at all. We go to places like Baltimore, New Orleans, Austin, or Atlanta. I don't think SF is even feasible for biomedical conferences given that there is an NIH-mandated cap on reimburseable daily hotel costs. In cheaper cities, we're already getting close to that cap.
Surely hotels there are more expensive than average. But Foglfter noted that they are pulling out due to dirty poop filled streets.