Dealing With Setbacks in Life

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Dealing With Setbacks in Life

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:10 pm

Hey friends. So life for the next little while is going to suck quite a bit.

I got a couple traffic tickets this year, and it was enough for ICBC to send me a notice that they're prohibiting me from driving for 5 months. I'm currently in the middle of hiring a lawyer to fight the prohibition. A license suspension for that period of time may cause me to lose my job and livelihood, to say nothing of the impact on my schooling. Hiring a lawyer isn't going to be cheap either.

I'm posting this, because well, you guys are kind of my internet fam jam, and also as a way of being open to any advice anyone here may have.

This has also led me to reflect on the situation in a philosophical way. Harry Browne himself had a rather productive and stoic perspective on hardship in life, and reading some of his material has already assuaged my anxiety somewhat. While I feel like this prohibition is unfair, I'll always remember this Browne quote:

"A great burden was lifted from my shoulders the day I realized that no one owes me anything. For so long as I’d thought there were things I was entitled to, I’d been wearing myself out —physically and emotionally — trying to collect them."

Ray Dalio has also espoused a phenomenally productive life philosophy through his work in Principles. This short miniseries has been really helpful for me in keeping things in perspective and seeing problems as "puzzles." Puzzles that can reward you with gems if you solve them. For me, that puzzle is how to stay happy, healthy, and productive without personal transport.

https://youtu.be/B9XGUpQZY38

It's an amazing miniseries which is just about the best way you can spend 30 minutes if you have it to spare.

Keep me in your thoughts, guys. I'll be needing all the support I can get, and any advice is appreciated.
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2922
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Dealing With Setbacks in Life

Post by pugchief » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:54 pm

Sorry to hear; that sucks.

Not familiar with the laws in Canada or BC, but can you elaborate on why they suspended you? DUI? Speeding? In IL you would have to be convicted of reckless endangerment, DUI, murder with a vehicle, speeding waaay over the limit or some other egregious offense before they would take your license away. Granted, multiple moving violations in a short period of time might qualify also, but they tend to use fines more than suspension for basic naughtiness AFAIK.
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Dealing With Setbacks in Life

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:03 pm

pugchief wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:54 pm
Sorry to hear; that sucks.

Not familiar with the laws in Canada or BC, but can you elaborate on why they suspended you? DUI? Speeding? In IL you would have to be convicted of reckless endangerment, DUI, murder with a vehicle, speeding waaay over the limit or some other egregious offense before they would take your license away. Granted, multiple moving violations in a short period of time might qualify also, but they tend to use fines more than suspension for basic naughtiness AFAIK.
Hey there, pugchief. Thanks for the response.

No criminal offences on my end. I have a 10+ year clean driving record up until the couple of pull overs by the police this year. The first ticket was for switching music tracks on my phone while stopped at an intersection. The second was being pulled over for speeding, and happening to have my cellphone in the cupholder charging instead of being hidden away.

In aggregate it's apparently enough to strip you of your license! :o

EDIT: to be clear, the speeding incident wasn't even excessive speeding. I got literally the lowest speeding ticket a person can get: $109. Still, "the man" has seen to it that that is enough for a driving ban.
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Dealing With Setbacks in Life

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:12 pm

Does anyone have advice on how to shop for a lawyer? I have never done this before and am unfamiliar with how to objectively weigh my options.
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Dealing With Setbacks in Life

Post by stuper1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:23 pm

Those sound like the kinds of violations that a good lawyer could help you get relief from. However, it won't be cheap. Could be several thousand dollars easy. You might find that paying for Uber/Lyft and bus rides and riding a bike for 5 months is a lot cheaper. Very sorry to hear of your troubles. It sounds like you have a good attitude. I find comfort from reading biographies of people who have overcome substantial difficulties to become successful. I have found that many people who you would never suspect have had to battle things like severe depression or other medical problems. You can always find someone who has it worse off than you and still battled through to get to a better place. Not trying to make light of your situation in any way. It's great that you are looking for ideas to help.
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Dealing With Setbacks in Life

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:33 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:23 pm
Those sound like the kinds of violations that a good lawyer could help you get relief from. However, it won't be cheap. Could be several thousand dollars easy. You might find that paying for Uber/Lyft and bus rides and riding a bike for 5 months is a lot cheaper. Very sorry to hear of your troubles. It sounds like you have a good attitude. I find comfort from reading biographies of people who have overcome substantial difficulties to become successful. I have found that many people who you would never suspect have had to battle things like severe depression or other medical problems. You can always find someone who has it worse off than you and still battled through to get to a better place. Not trying to make light of your situation in any way. It's great that you are looking for ideas to help.
Thanks for your input. I'm currently in the middle of organizing rides from family/friends to get to further destinations when possible.

Unfortunately, no ridesharing services in Vancouver! Oof!

You are right about reflecting on other people's circumstances that are worse than oneself, and seeing how they have thrived. This Stephen Hawking video has been amazing.

https://youtu.be/VYxjumUhji0
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2922
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Dealing With Setbacks in Life

Post by pugchief » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:48 pm

I agree with Stuper. Taking your license away for 5 months for what amounts to cell phone violations seems extreme. A good lawyer that deals with traffic offenses (maybe a DUI guy?) should be able to get you off with some fines and a hefty legal bill.
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Dealing With Setbacks in Life

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:02 pm

pugchief wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:48 pm
I agree with Stuper. Taking your license away for 5 months for what amounts to cell phone violations seems extreme. A good lawyer that deals with traffic offenses (maybe a DUI guy?) should be able to get you off with some fines and a hefty legal bill.
I sure hope that this is the case. I have talked to several lawyers this afternoon. The consensus seems to be that through a professional legal defence, a reduction to a two month ban is a reasonable expectation. Maybe 3; maybe 1; maybe even revoked entirely if i'm extremely lucky.

Still, the prices quoted have been all over the map and I don't know how to ascertain "value" for the dollar I am spending. So far I've been quoted everything from $2,500 for a senior lawyer to $500 for an articled student.
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Dealing With Setbacks in Life

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:50 pm

Sometimes, when something bad occurs in my life, I enjoy some solace knowing that I can help other people out who are in the same situation, or help them avoid it altogether. So please, take heart knowing that you've reminded me how fortunate I am not to live in Canada.
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Dealing With Setbacks in Life

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:52 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:50 pm
Sometimes, when something bad occurs in my life, I enjoy some solace knowing that I can help other people out who are in the same situation, or help them avoid it altogether. So please, take heart knowing that you've reminded me how fortunate I am not to live in Canada.
Gee, thanks. ::)
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Dealing With Setbacks in Life

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:57 pm

NO

THANK YOU
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
User avatar
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Dealing With Setbacks in Life

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:59 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:57 pm
NO

THANK YOU
I know you're joking, but really not in the mood. Maybe in another thread, man.
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.
Post Reply