Vinny
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (546 KiB) Viewed 359 times
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Familiar?

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:20 pm

Yes. However, I have now learned to not try to redefine the past to fit my current views. The past is the past. No amount of handwringing or moralizing will change it. I can only learn from it and do the best I can in the present. The future will present itself soon enough. There is no need to be anxious, that is only a delusion that for those who think they are in control of events beyond their control.
Romans 1:16-32
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:52 pm

No.

I was a volunteer, that led volunteers, who mostly did a good job, who mostly loved this country.

I would guess close to 0% of modern fighting men (I'm early 30s) would carry that Zippo; they would feel disgraced by it.
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:07 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:52 pm
No.

I was a volunteer, that led volunteers, who mostly did a good job, who mostly loved this country.

I would guess close to 0% of modern fighting men (I'm early 30s) would carry that Zippo; they would feel disgraced by it.
+1
europeanwizard

Post by europeanwizard » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:58 am

I checked what Harry Browne had to say on the subject:
Governments invariably call upon their citizens to cooperate in efforts for the "public good." They want you to sacrifice to help solve economic crises, foreign-trade problems, and military conflicts; but these things were caused originally by government intervention. Even so, the calls can seem compelling, and social pressure can build on behalf of patriotic efforts. I don't believe that you do anything for your country by fighting in a war (any war), giving up your money, or sacrificing in any way.
When I started building the PP, one of my ideas was to have enough money to buy a house in another country, if my home country got into an unjust war organized by stupid politicians. The PP does provide for this in another way, with the gold portion. It's assumed to stay stable relative to most currencies.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:11 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
No.

That Zippo was in reference to a War which was, for the most part, not fought by volunteers and a War in which the President did not believe in but continued to prosecute because he did not want to be the first U.S. president to lose a war.

Vinny
jacksonm2

Post by jacksonm2 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:06 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
No.

Vietnam 1969-70. I was going to comment on this but I've learned to keep my mouth shut about such things.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:13 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:11 am
That Zippo was in reference to a War which was, for the most part, not fought by volunteers and a War in which the President did not believe in but continued to prosecute because he did not want to be the first U.S. president to lose a war.

Vinny
Right. I am unfamiliar with the Vietnam mindset.
To die, to sleep
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:44 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:13 am
vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:11 am

Vinny
Right. I am unfamiliar with the Vietnam mindset.
My response was not assuming you were.

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:54 am

No sweat.
To die, to sleep
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:28 pm

Potentially sensitive question here, Kriegsspiel. Did you encounter anyone actively trying to recruit neo-Nazis? I would think that most of that happens in the States, and then recruits may decide to enlist to get training and perhaps fighting experience. Probably no time for that once one is on a tour of duty.

You always hear about them in the military and the police force, but I have no anecdotal experience. There were two guys I bumped into at a shooting range, but I didn't know them well enough to ask.

For what it's worth, I'm a support the troops kind of guy. That even includes skinheads, as long as they're fighting for the country.

I do wonder if any of them accidentally form friendships with blacks and other non-whites whom they wouldn't befriend back home, or if they just behave and tolerate those they don't like while serving in the army, marines, etc.
Happy Veterans Day 🇺🇸 Bond markets are closed
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:49 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:28 pm
Potentially sensitive question here, Kriegsspiel. Did you encounter anyone actively trying to recruit neo-Nazis? I would think that most of that happens in the States, and then recruits may decide to enlist to get training and perhaps fighting experience. Probably no time for that once one is on a tour of duty.

You always hear about them in the military and the police force, but I have no anecdotal experience. There were two guys I bumped into at a shooting range, but I didn't know them well enough to ask.

For what it's worth, I'm a support the troops kind of guy. That even includes skinheads, as long as they're fighting for the country.

I do wonder if any of them accidentally form friendships with blacks and other non-whites whom they wouldn't befriend back home, or if they just behave and tolerate those they don't like while serving in the army, marines, etc.
I wonder about your same in your last paragraph regarding major league baseball players. I think those who are drawn to the military have a fairly good overlap with those who go into professional baseball. And, then many of them end up being in a mix of people unlike what they grew up with.

Vinny