Any "Breaking Bad" Fans Here?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Any "Breaking Bad" Fans Here?

Post by dualstow »

AdamA wrote: Amazon did the same thing (with the labeling of the seasons, not the refund).
Interesting. I almost forgot that I bought that Season Pass since it was a year ago, but I did think it was going to cover all episodes until the end.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf »

Man, the things that Eliot said during that interview were just perfect to inflame Walt's pride and get him Heisenberged up for the endgame.
iwealth wrote: Todd is the best portrayal of a sociopath I've seen on television. Even his infatuation with Lydia is how I'd envision a sociopath "loving" another human.
Yeah, Todd's a really frightening character.  You could see him struggling to understand everyone else's reaction to the Drew Sharp killing, trying his best to awkwardly decipher human emotions that he's never actually felt.  Once I saw that I knew that he was a psychopath and probably the most dangerous person on the show.

You can tell that his "love" for Lydia is the real deal by the way he brought home her lipstick-stained coffee mug, presumably to place it on the shelf next to Drew Sharp's spider.  :o 

Poor Andrea.  :(  Walt may deserve everything that's coming his way, but before it's all over I hope that he makes those Aryan dirtbags stop wasting oxygen.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

This was probably not the most productive way I could have spent the last 2 hours, but I really enjoyed watching this 2 hour condensed Breaking Bad video. 

http://fansided.com/2013/09/23/breaking ... %20on%20FS
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

AdamA wrote: This was probably not the most productive way I could have spent the last 2 hours
What about the person who produced it. : - D
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

I had a dream last night that I watched the final episode and nothing was resolved, not one thing.

I woke up pretty rattled.

I was thinking about the show today and an idea hit me.  Imagine at the end of the final episode with everyone laying there dead, and the scene moves to Brock back living in the ghetto with some distant relative, growing up without a mom or a dad and being surrounded by hoodlums from his neighborhood.  It would show scenes of Brock growing up and show him gradually turning into basically another Tuco...and then the credits would run. 

With about a 15 year lag, the meth scene would be exactly the way it was when Walt found it, sort of like the way vegetation grows back after a volcanic eruption.

As hard as Walt might have tried to put the genie back in the bottle with the poison and .50 caliber, it would be clear that once you unleash that kind of evil in the world it never completely goes away.

I was watching the 2 hour recap of the whole series, and I think that Gus might have been the best bad guy in the whole series.  I like Todd's creepy psychopath vibe, but his uncle's crew seems sort of low rent compared to Gus's many-layered persona and long history of brutally working his way to the top of a very large drug distribution organization.

I had also forgotten some of the people that Walt killed.  I love the scene where Jesse is walking toward the two guys who killed the kid and as he gets close to them Walt's goofy Aztek comes barreling into the scene and runs over both guys and Walt hops out and shoots one of them in the head.

Oh I'm going to miss this show.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MediumTex wrote: ...
Walt's goofy Aztek comes barreling into the scene and runs over both guys and Walt hops out and shoots one of them in the head.

Oh I'm going to miss this show.
Good times.

If Jesse lived it would be nice if he could raise Brock, but at this point he's suffered so much pain that maybe it would be best if he took himself out and a few Aryan Bros with him.

With Walt suffering the death of a relative, most of his money gone and the rest rejected by his own son, I *already* feel a sense of closure. (Again, I'm comparing against 'Lost' so the bar is not very high.  :) )

I agree with you that Jack & crew are low rent. If they were sophisticated, it would be interesting to see them get away with the money at the end, but Americans don't usually create neo-Nazi characters and let them get away at the end, even in a tragedy. It would be highly unusual.

I can't figure out what would or should happen to Lydia. Maybe Todd could kill her accidentally and finally feel remorse?

P.S.
iwealth really called it.
iwealth wrote: Things are starting to clear up a bit. Here's my guess:

Gomie is dead. I don't see much more use for his character in the narrative. Hank is either dead or comatose.
Todd may be dead. That will heighten the Neo-Nazis' urgency to bring Walt into the fold. Either way, they need Walt (or Jesse) to assist with the cook. We know it's not Walt. Jesse must become their and Lydia's meth slave.
And of course Todd is a slave to love.
Last edited by dualstow on Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
iwealth
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by iwealth »

dualstow wrote:
If Jesse lived it would be nice if he could raise Brock, but at this point he's suffered so much pain that maybe it would be best if he took himself out and a few Aryan Bros with him.

With Walt suffering the death of a relative, most of his money gone and the rest rejected by his own son, I *already* feel a sense of closure. (Again, I'm comparing against 'Lost' so the bar is not very high.  :) )

I agree with you that Jack & crew are low rent. If they were sophisticated, it would be interesting to see them get away with the money at the end, but Americans don't usually create neo-Nazi characters and let them get away at the end, even in a tragedy. It would be highly unusual.

I can't figure out what would or should happen to Lydia. Maybe Todd could kill her accidentally and finally feel remorse?

P.S.
iwealth really called it.
iwealth wrote: Things are starting to clear up a bit. Here's my guess:

Gomie is dead. I don't see much more use for his character in the narrative. Hank is either dead or comatose.
Todd may be dead. That will heighten the Neo-Nazis' urgency to bring Walt into the fold. Either way, they need Walt (or Jesse) to assist with the cook. We know it's not Walt. Jesse must become their and Lydia's meth slave.
And of course Todd is a slave to love.
Ha thanks, I guess I wasn't too far off.

I agree the Neo-Nazis are dead. Just no way they survive. As far as Jesse raising Brock - I can't see any legal means he'd get custody. He probably went to the grandmother. And Lydia...she just reeks of a ricin killing, but I have no idea how Walt could orchestrate it.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Lydia will think that she escaped the carnage, yet again...and then she will start to feel ill.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

She does like her tea and stevia.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

dualstow wrote: She does like her tea and stevia.
There must be some point to the stevia thing.  That makes perfect sense.
rhymenocerous
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rhymenocerous »

I agree that Gus was the ultimate villain.  That's why I thought that season 5 would all be Hank vs Walt, because there was no one left who is a worthy opponent for Walt.  Todd and the neo-Nazis aren't quite on the same level.  What I'm trying to figure out is Walt's next move.  It has to be some kind of ingenious and manipulative plan.  He can just bust down the door and start shooting.  How is he going to find he $70m?  Who is gonna die tot he ricin and how will he administer it?  They've been saving the ricin for the  finale, so I only think a few people could warrant such an extravagant death: Walt, Jesse, possibly Todd + Lydia, the entire Nazi gang all at once.  Lastly, that would be so depressing if Brock grows up to be Tuco, and nothing has changed; kind of like the Wire.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

I am tweeting Vince Gilligan and demanding a fair up and down vote on an additional season of Breaking Bad. I am not adverse to a lengthy filibuster if necessary.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

One thing I like about poison in tv shows & films is that it allows two bad people to kill each other. First the poisoner dies and then the killer of the poisoner starts to feel the effects...
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

dualstow wrote: One thing I like about poison in tv shows & films is that it allows two bad people to kill each other. First the poisoner dies and then the killer of the poisoner starts to feel the effects...
Kind of like in Hamlet (I think).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MediumTex wrote:
dualstow wrote: One thing I like about poison in tv shows & films is that it allows two bad people to kill each other. First the poisoner dies and then the killer of the poisoner starts to feel the effects...
Kind of like in Hamlet (I think).
Heh. There's definitely some death by poison at the end of that one. And I think Badger & Skinny Pete are this show's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

rhymenocerous wrote: He can just bust down the door and start shooting.  How is he going to find he $70m?  Who is gonna die tot he ricin and how will he administer it?  They've been saving the ricin for the  finale, so I only think a few people could warrant such an extravagant death: Walt, Jesse, possibly Todd + Lydia, the entire Nazi gang all at once.  Lastly, that would be so depressing if Brock grows up to be Tuco, and nothing has changed; kind of like the Wire.
Maybe he'll do what Gus did to the Cartel. 

Pascal
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I thought I read that Dean Norris (Hank) took the grill as a keepsake as well as one of the axes.
Maybe there's a "stunt grill".  :)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I could not ask for a better ending.  8)
Bob

Post by Bob »

The show ended just about the way I thought it would end.  I thought the ricin in the stevia was classic -- and then, he picks up the other guys cell phone and is able to tell her about the ricin was "icing on the cake."  I'm glad he was able to tie up the "loose end" and provide Skyler with the location of Hank's and the other agent's body.  The hour and fifteen minute show flew by.  I found myself feeling someone sad that the show was ending.  You find yourself "engaged" with a show like this for a number of years and then it ends.  It was a blast while it lasted!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Bob wrote: I found myself feeling someone sad that the show was ending.  You find yourself "engaged" with a show like this for a number of years and then it ends.  It was a blast while it lasted!
I haven't sought out many interviews outside of the show, but I happened to hear Vince Gilligan, aka "Villigan" on the radio last year saying, "I don't want this show to drag on, with people flipping channels and saying, 'Oh, is this still on?' I want to have closure." Not his exact words, but very close. I am so satisfied. All things must pass.

There's always Homeland and Game of Thrones:)
Have to catch up on one and start the other.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Just loved the finale! Especially enjoyed Walter telling Skylr that what he did he did for himself. That he liked it and was good at it. That was classic. It was nice seeing Walt pick up Todd's phone call from Lydia and seeing her with that humidifier as he told her that she would never use Stevia again. And what about what he did to the Schwartz's? I didn't see that coming. Just great stuff!
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

I like that Walt died in peace in a place he always enjoyed being (i.e., a properly appointed meth lab).

I love that Todd's uncle wasn't able to get very far into his "why you shouldn't kill me" speech before Walt finished him off.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Reub, I thought of you when I saw Jesse Pinkman stop by SNL to make fun of Obamacare. Good stuff.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

dualstow wrote: I could not ask for a better ending.  8)
I agree.  To me, the last two episodes felt almost perfect.

I'll miss the show, but I'm glad they stopped while they were still on top. 

Pascal
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Adam: Yeah, someone in TV writing finally learned to quit while he was ahead!

MT, I take it loose ends were wrapped up to your satisfaction?

If anyone was wondering about Jesse's daydream about the wooden box, apparently he mentioned it in an early episode. He made the box for his mother but then sold it for an ounce of weed. I certainly forgot about that, but read it in the Wall Street Journal of all places.

Also, it has been pointed out that Walt didn't just get to Lydia out of revenge or competition, but to take the (Todd) heat off Skyler. That didn't immediately click, but when I read it I thought, oh of course!
Side note, I have been waiting for the show to end to treat myself to Laura Fraser's (Lydia) real accent, a Scottish one. No wonder Todd was in love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIvi0nQFbb0