80-90% of your Total Savings in PP

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: 80-90% of your Total Savings in PP

Post by Pointedstick »

frugal wrote: For me it is a bit strange how someone can INVEST almost ALL his savings in a PP.

I am so used to CD's that covers the inflation. On your countries, as your CD's don't cover INFLATION, you had to discover another strategies earlier...

Please advice.

Thanks
I have access to CDs that very nearly cover inflation in the USA (inflation is very low right now). I don't use them for several reasons:

1. I don't want to match or just barely beat inflation; I want to beat it by 3-7%. CDs can't do that.
2. CDs are illiquid.
3. CDs are promises from commercial banks. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them.

Avoiding CDs gives you a better return, more safety, and more liquidity. That nice 4% CD return won't mean a thing if the Portuguese economy falls into a banking crisis and the firms holding your CDs collapse.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

Hi,

but that can happens also with ETF's

... if we have a 4 ETF's HBPP

:-\

Please explain.

Hug
Live healthy, live actively and live life!
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

ETFs aren't illiquid or guaranteed to lose to inflation or just barely beat it (depending on what the ETF tracks) like CDs, but you're right, brokerage default or fraud can happen with ETFs too. That's why only a quarter of the HBPP is held in mutual funds/ETFs: the stock portion. The remaining three-quarters is supposed to be held directly. No bank or brokerage can default and tie up your money in legal limbo if it's in the form of directly-held gold and currency-issuer fiat-money government bonds.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
k9

Post by k9 »

Some advise a 4xETF PP, that seems very dangerous to me.

That being said, the point is the PP yields much more on average than CDs with much less risks of failure and a reasonable volatility. The VP is interesting to improve the overall yield (but with bigger risk), not to reduce it.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

Well, in US that is easier.

In Portugal no.

Even for Gold I have some difficulty to buy real gold coins/bars because I'm affraid it goes down in price and I can't sell it one day.

Please help.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

frugal wrote: Well, in US that is easier.

In Portugal no.

Even for Gold I have some difficulty to buy real gold coins/bars because I'm affraid it goes down in price and I can't sell it one day.
Isn't that a risk everywhere? Sounds like you have a problem with gold in general, not gold buying in Portugal. You'll always be able to sell your gold if it falls in value--at the lower price. But that's the way all financial assets work.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
k9

Post by k9 »

Yes it looks like you have a problem with gold as an asset. As it is often advised, just put a small portion of your overall savings in the PP (say 1/3) to look how it behaves over time and you'll probably want to gradually increase the percentage. Or not, if you really don't like it.
hpowders

Post by hpowders »

My entire IRA is invested in the PP, though, admittedly, today is a bad day for it, but then again it looks like most investing strategies will be down today.
Last edited by hpowders on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I expect to move from 1 star adjunct lecturer to 4 star assistant professor on this forum very soon. Already a 3 star adjunct assistant professor.
DragonJoey3

Post by DragonJoey3 »

I'm all in on the PP except for a few hundred in a checking account for miscellaneous expenses.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

I'm almost "all in" except for a separate emergency fund which I've had to dip into recently due to Superstorm Sandy.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

Average is probably 90%
Variables portfolios are small, very small.

Regards
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

I am approximately 50/50 PP and conventional 60/40 (equities and bonds). I am uncomfortable investing 100% in the PP. What happens if it fails to perform as it has historically? If the BH portfolio under-performs then many other investors will be in the same position. If the PP under-performs then you look like an idiot (everyone "knows" that stocks and gold are overpriced and LTT yields have no where to go but up.)
Last edited by buddtholomew on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
Thomas Hoog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Thomas Hoog »

That makes a 42,5%, 32,5%, 12,5%, 12,5 % allocation. That's not HB PP nor conventional, but a Budd portfolio.
SIMBA results (1985 - 2011)
Budd, average: 9,7 %,  Std dev: 8,3 %
PP, average: 8,3 %, Std dev: 5,7%
witch means that the changes you like a idiot with a PP portfolio is much smaller then conventional investors.

However If 
(everyone "knows" that stocks and gold are overpriced and LTT yields have no where to go but up.)
then your Cash portions in the Budd portfolio is a bit low.
By the way, despite the results, most investors think PP followers are idiots, so why bother.
Life is uncertain and then we die
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

Another down day of course for this POS. Go ahead and use my pessimism as a sign that the low is in. I wish you all the best. Got to love the market soaring and your investments tanking. A dream come true...
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
melveyr
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by melveyr »

buddtholomew wrote: Another down day of course for this POS. Go ahead and use my pessimism as a sign that the low is in. I wish you all the best. Got to love the market soaring and your investments tanking. A dream come true...
;D
everything comes from somewhere and everything goes somewhere
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

melveyr wrote:
buddtholomew wrote: Another down day of course for this POS. Go ahead and use my pessimism as a sign that the low is in. I wish you all the best. Got to love the market soaring and your investments tanking. A dream come true...
;D
?
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t »

PP down 0.3% today? tanking?

?no comprende?
escafandro
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by escafandro »

Hi Budd. I don't know well the history of this: "Go ahead and use my pessimism as a sign That is in the low."
But the PP is up by 6.6% this year and also if you got 60/40 is above 12%. You got an average gain of 9.3%.
Then why: "and your Investments tanking ..."?

Edit: Sorry murphy put something similar while I was writing.
Last edited by escafandro on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

escafandro wrote: Hi Budd. I don't know well the history of this: "Go ahead and use my pessimism as a sign That is in the low."
But the PP is up by 6.6% this year and also if you got 60/40 is above 12%. You got an average gain of 9.3%.
Then why: "and your Investments tanking ..."?

Edit: Sorry murphy put something similar while I was writing.
Irrational...dealing with another stressful issue and refirected my anger.