New Permanent Portfolio Book Available for Pre-Order

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

craigr
Administrator
Administrator

New Permanent Portfolio Book Available for Pre-Order

Post by craigr »

We’re pleased to announce that the new Permanent Portfolio book is available for pre-order from Wiley publishing directly or through Amazon.com.

The book is entitled: The Permanent Portfolio: Harry Browne’s Long-Term Investment Strategy.

We are very excited to write this update and hope to fill the very large shoes of Harry Browne. This book provides updates to his strategy that mirror his ideas and philosophies, and provides options to investors to apply the strategy to whatever situation they find themselves in with their money.

The book is available directly from Wiley at this link:

The Permanent Portfolio: Harry Browne’s Long-Term Investment Strategy

Also it is available from Amazon.com. The title at Amazon is in error and will be updated to the correct one shortly:

The Permanent Portfolio: Harry Browne’s Long-Term Investment Strategy (A Kindle version will be available in the near future)

The book will also be available from other outlets as well. We appreciate the readers of the blog and forum for all your support and hope you enjoy this book.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: New Permanent Portfolio Book Available for Pre-Order

Post by Reub »

Best of luck with your new book! Will it have information that even a fairly knowledgeable PP'er could use?
Khisanth

Post by Khisanth »

I pre-ordered on Amazon but five months is a long time to wait ;-P
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Reub wrote: Best of luck with your new book! Will it have information that even a fairly knowledgeable PP'er could use?
That's a question that probably can't be answered until the book is out there and people are providing reviews.  I think that we did our best to be exhaustive without turning it into one of those 19th century-style 12 volume sets.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

MediumTex wrote:
Reub wrote: Best of luck with your new book! Will it have information that even a fairly knowledgeable PP'er could use?
That's a question that probably can't be answered until the book is out there and people are providing reviews.  I think that we did our best to be exhaustive without turning it into one of those 19th century-style 12 volume sets.
Yep. It's nearly 110,000 words. We could have probably doubled it if necessary!

I definitely think even knowledgeable Permanent Portfolio investors will get something from it.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

craigr,

You know we're going to buy it regardless, but I didn't think you could get a whole lot deeper than we've gotten on this forum.

Nice work!
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
KevinW
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by KevinW »

Great news.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

Is there any advantage to pre-ordering the book?

Sounds like it's finished... does it really take 6-7 months to print?

Looking forward to it either way.  I've been Kindle-only for a while but might actually like to have a paper copy of this one (or both, right? ;) )
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

flyingpylon wrote: Is there any advantage to pre-ordering the book?

Sounds like it's finished... does it really take 6-7 months to print?

Looking forward to it either way.  I've been Kindle-only for a while but might actually like to have a paper copy of this one (or both, right? ;) )
There is probably some minor editing and formatting to be done, along with the addition of some material at the front and back of the book.

The timeline is the publisher's.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

There will definitely be a Kindle and other eBook versions. We just don't have word from the publisher on all of that yet. But yes it will happen.
ozzy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ozzy »

Great, I'm looking forward to it.  I'm definitely going to buy it when its available.  I'll place it right next to my other Harry Browne books.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Amazon now has the updated title and book cover...
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Omsa wrote: Any update on the availability of the pre-order Kindle Version of the book?
I am trying to get confirmation from the publisher.
Storm
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Storm »

Personally, I prefer Kindle to paper format.  The main reason is that publishers can update/correct Kindle books without having to print a new version (and you having to purchase a new hardcopy).  Especially with a book like this, I can see it being updated yearly to include new funds/information as well as historical return data.  Imagine reading this book if it was published in Spring 2008...  We can never predict what will happen, and I love the fact that CraigR and MediumTex could publish a new version every year, and my Kindle copy should auto-update.
"I came here for financial advice, but I've ended up with a bunch of shave soaps and apparently am about to start eating sardines.  Not that I'm complaining, of course." -ZedThou
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

I see the disadvantages of that, which are that Amazon can simply retroactively delete or edit what you've "purchased".  Rewriting history becomes a breeze!  In an almost unbelievable example of irony, they proved this by deleting people's copies of 1984.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Storm wrote: Personally, I prefer Kindle to paper format.  The main reason is that publishers can update/correct Kindle books without having to print a new version (and you having to purchase a new hardcopy).  Especially with a book like this, I can see it being updated yearly to include new funds/information as well as historical return data.  Imagine reading this book if it was published in Spring 2008...  We can never predict what will happen, and I love the fact that CraigR and MediumTex could publish a new version every year, and my Kindle copy should auto-update.
Honestly given the amount of time put into finishing this book, I would cringe at the idea of updating it each year!

Really though we have in some specific funds mentioned. We also have descriptions of what to look for so if things change the reader can hopefully use it as a blueprint on what to look for in their investments.
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter »

Craigr, have you thought about making the book available through Google Books? 
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

foglifter wrote: Craigr, have you thought about making the book available through Google Books? 
It will be available through just about every eBook platform is my understanding...
Storm
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Storm »

craigr wrote:
Storm wrote: Personally, I prefer Kindle to paper format.  The main reason is that publishers can update/correct Kindle books without having to print a new version (and you having to purchase a new hardcopy).  Especially with a book like this, I can see it being updated yearly to include new funds/information as well as historical return data.  Imagine reading this book if it was published in Spring 2008...  We can never predict what will happen, and I love the fact that CraigR and MediumTex could publish a new version every year, and my Kindle copy should auto-update.
Honestly given the amount of time put into finishing this book, I would cringe at the idea of updating it each year!

Really though we have in some specific funds mentioned. We also have descriptions of what to look for so if things change the reader can hopefully use it as a blueprint on what to look for in their investments.
Corrections are usually free (like if you said the PP has 99.3% CAGR instead of 9.3%) but new editions usually are considered a new work and you would have to buy it again.  Many authors publish second editions which include additional chapters.  You can always add new content a few years later from topics posted on the forum.

Honestly, you two have done a wonderful thing here by creating this forum and deserve all the success that is going to come your way.  Lets do our best to make it an Amazon best seller on the release week.
"I came here for financial advice, but I've ended up with a bunch of shave soaps and apparently am about to start eating sardines.  Not that I'm complaining, of course." -ZedThou
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Honestly I'm not looking for fame and fortune. I just like this investing approach so much I wanted to make sure other people had it as an option. The updates we are providing I think stick very closely to the spirit of Harry Browne. I am happy that we also had a chance to expand on some of his concepts and provide updates to critical areas such as geographic diversification.
Last edited by craigr on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.