Bought my ibond allocation

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Bought my ibond allocation

Post by ppnewbie »

I was thinking the fixed rate was going to stay at 1.3% but I bought them the day before the hot CPI number came in. Lets see what the fixed rate gets set on May 1.
welderwannabe

Re: Bought my ibond allocation

Post by welderwannabe »

If you follow tipswatch, they seem to think the fixed rate will be unchanged, or close to it. With the inflation component going down, you may have made the right call buying before may.

https://tipswatch.com/2024/04/14/i-bond ... ot-at-all/
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie »

Great minds think alike! That was the main reason I went ahead and purchased them (the day before a higher than expected CPI number!). Lets see what happens in May.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

I submitted my tax return on Sunday with a $5,000 purchase for iBonds. So far it's only worked half the times. 2 times they have been bought. The other two times they've refunded my $5,000.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

And the final I-Bond 1 May 2024 tally:

* 1.3% Fixed rate (unchanged)

* 4.28% composite rate
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

vnatale wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:54 am I submitted my tax return on Sunday with a $5,000 purchase for iBonds. So far it's only worked half the times. 2 times they have been bought. The other two times they've refunded my $5,000.
With this year's return I tried a new tactic.

In addition to having $5,000 of my refund being allocated to buying iBonds and another amount being allocated to 2024 taxes, I had $10 to be refunded to me. Shortly after I submitted the return I received the $10 refund in my account. Since it was not $5,010, I am taking that as a good sign that this time around $5,000 in iBonds were purchased, which I will someday receive in the mail.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

A few days ago I did receive my $5,000 in iBonds purchased from my tax return e-filed on April 14, 2024.

This time it was only one $5,000 bond. In the past there have been several to many bonds in different denominations to compose the $5,000.

It was dated April 29, 2024. That means I got it under the more favorable conditions than buying it today?