Silver

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

welderwannabe
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:53 pm

Re: Silver

Post by welderwannabe » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:09 pm

SilentMajority wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:32 am
Ok they mention the sunshine mint in D's article and they're calling them "planchets". I've heard that term a lot, fancy.
Im going with "overpriced metallic circles", AKA OPMC.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 13352
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Silver

Post by dualstow » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:27 pm

I used to have a crush on Cate Planchet.
Let 2023 be the year of LASAGNE
Any major dude with half a heart surely would tell you my friend/
Any minor world that breaks apart falls together again
User avatar
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1267
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:50 am

Re: Silver

Post by Hal » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:48 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:27 pm
I used to have a crush on Cate Planchet.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 6.45.54 pm.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 6.45.54 pm.png (554.87 KiB) Viewed 540 times
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 13352
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Silver

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:50 am

hahahaha!
I guess the internet has taught us that there is no such thing as a unique original thought.
Let 2023 be the year of LASAGNE
Any major dude with half a heart surely would tell you my friend/
Any minor world that breaks apart falls together again
SilentMajority
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:10 am

Re: Silver

Post by SilentMajority » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:14 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:27 pm
I used to have a crush on Cate Planchet.
True story, I had an ex lover that looked just like her, if you drank just two martinis. She also came complete with her own venezuelan female bisexual lover. Made for an exciting summer.

Back to silver.....outstanding deal here:https://bullionexchanges.com/roll-of-25 ... -leaf-coin
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 4196
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Silver

Post by Xan » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:25 am

SilentMajority wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:14 pm
dualstow wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:27 pm
I used to have a crush on Cate Planchet.
True story, I had an ex lover that looked just like her, if you drank just two martinis. She also came complete with her own venezuelan female bisexual lover. Made for an exciting summer.

Back to silver.....outstanding deal here:https://bullionexchanges.com/roll-of-25 ... -leaf-coin

So... Maybe Putin is right about the depravity, decadence, and immorality of the West??
SilentMajority
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:10 am

Re: Silver

Post by SilentMajority » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:45 am

Xan wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:25 am
SilentMajority wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:14 pm
dualstow wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:27 pm
I used to have a crush on Cate Planchet.
True story, I had an ex lover that looked just like her, if you drank just two martinis. She also came complete with her own venezuelan female bisexual lover. Made for an exciting summer.

Back to silver.....outstanding deal here:https://bullionexchanges.com/roll-of-25 ... -leaf-coin

So... Maybe Putin is right about the depravity, decadence, and immorality of the West??
He is 100% correct
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 13352
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Silver

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:01 am

I didn’t realize until today that you can get the silver Britannia with either Queen Elizabeth or King Charles on the obverse.
I think the King Charles ones are pre-orders.
Let 2023 be the year of LASAGNE
Any major dude with half a heart surely would tell you my friend/
Any minor world that breaks apart falls together again
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8270
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Silver

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:16 am

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:01 am

I didn’t realize until today that you can get the silver Britannia with either Queen Elizabeth or King Charles on the obverse.
I think the King Charles ones are pre-orders.


You keep giving me vocabulary lessons.

From the context I thought I'd determined what it meant but I saw I was wrong once I read its definition.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 13352
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Silver

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:23 pm

That’s a word worth learning. Yesterday I learned FIMBRIATION, but I’m not sure that one is worth it. O0
Let 2023 be the year of LASAGNE
Any major dude with half a heart surely would tell you my friend/
Any minor world that breaks apart falls together again
seajay
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:11 am

Re: Silver

Post by seajay » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:43 am

SilentMajority wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:45 am
Xan wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:25 am
SilentMajority wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:14 pm
dualstow wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:27 pm
I used to have a crush on Cate Planchet.
True story, I had an ex lover that looked just like her, if you drank just two martinis. She also came complete with her own venezuelan female bisexual lover. Made for an exciting summer.

Back to silver.....outstanding deal here:https://bullionexchanges.com/roll-of-25 ... -leaf-coin
So... Maybe Putin is right about the depravity, decadence, and immorality of the West??
He is 100% correct
Ukrainian's don't call the Russian's 'recruited' to fight in Ukraine 'conscripts', instead they call them 'drafties' as most are just being used as bullet fodder - riddled with holes.

All of the efforts that the West expends to avoid killing innocent civilians in conflicts is clearly absent in the case of Russians. Scumbaggery Russian's condoning others to be immoral ... LOL!
seajay
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:11 am

Re: Silver

Post by seajay » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:50 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:16 am
dualstow wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:01 am
I didn’t realize until today that you can get the silver Britannia with either Queen Elizabeth or King Charles on the obverse.
I think the King Charles ones are pre-orders.
You keep giving me vocabulary lessons.
From the context I thought I'd determined what it meant but I saw I was wrong once I read its definition.
Next time you flip a coin for something, instead of the more usual heads or tails call, call "obverse or reverse" ... and then claim you've won as most wont know the difference.

It's the same for notes, the 'front' is the 'obverse', the 'back' is the 'reverse'.
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Silver

Post by Tortoise » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:11 am

seajay wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:50 am
Next time you flip a coin for something, instead of the more usual heads or tails call, call "obverse or reverse" ... and then claim you've won as most wont know the difference.
Or, instead of flipping the coin, spin it on its edge. A new penny that's spun on its edge will land with tails facing up about 80% of the time.
User avatar
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1904
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm
Location: US Citizen, Permanent Traveler

Re: Silver

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:42 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:11 am
Or, instead of flipping the coin, spin it on its edge. A new penny that's spun on its edge will land with tails facing up about 80% of the time.
Whoa. That one I have to try. Hard to believe. ~80% !
I tried downloading the research paper linked on the website "heads.pdf" but got a dead link and couldn't fiind it on the web. If anyone has the paper...

Now, wherever can I find a penny...
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Silver

Post by Tortoise » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:21 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:42 pm
Whoa. That one I have to try. Hard to believe. ~80% !
I tried downloading the research paper linked on the website "heads.pdf" but got a dead link and couldn't fiind it on the web. If anyone has the paper...

They may have been referring to this paper by Diaconis. This seems to be the relevant passage from the paper:
We turn next to a different method of randomizing: coins spun on their edge. Here, the situation is much changed. Spun coins can exhibit huge variations from the fair probability situation. The exact determination of the probability depends in a delicate way on the shape of the coin’s edge and the exact center of gravity. Indeed, magicians use coins with slightly shaved edges, invisible to the naked eye, which always come up heads. While we will not pursue the details, we offer Figure 7 as evidence. This shows data provided by Jim Pitman from a class of 103 Berkeley undergraduates who were asked to (a) toss a penny 100 times and record head or tail, and (b) spin the same penny 100 times and record head or tail. A histogram of the data appears in Figure 7. The tossed coins are absolutely typical of fair coins, concentrated near 50 heads. The spun coins show a pronounced proportion of tails; several students had coins that came up fewer than 10% heads. For further discussion, see [33].
User avatar
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1904
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm
Location: US Citizen, Permanent Traveler

Re: Silver

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:37 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:21 pm
They may have been referring to this paper by Diaconis.
Outstanding. Thank you.
Post Reply