Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Vil's Valley

Post by dualstow »

(from sticking-with-treasuries? thread)
Vil wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:20 pm Bought a new bipod for my hunting crossbow
I understand/can look up everything in that thread but PCP (context: hunting firearm).
What is PCP?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Vil's Valley

Post by Mountaineer »

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Pre-charged pneumatic. Thank you, Mountaineer!
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil »

Yup, that's it. In general, you have 2 types of airguns - 1) when the projectile is being pushed by some kind of spring , and 2) shooting force is generated by compressed air that's being released through a tiny port with (sometimes) enormous pressure. There is really a wide variety of such guns.. As you know some small calibers (and generally <16-20J) , like .177 are even used for sports - target shooting at Olympics, that kind of stuff. And on the other hand, there are some bad boys (2nd type guns from above) that can shoot with slugs (instead of the more traditional pellets) - they deliver quite competitive power, there are even ones that can bang with 1000 feet/sec and hundreds of Joules - pretty much enough to bring down medium to big game... that's it, not exactly shooting 101 .. :)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I do hope you and your family are doing alright, Vil
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Vil wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:11 am Yup, that's it. In general, you have 2 types of airguns - 1) when the projectile is being pushed by some kind of spring , and 2) shooting force is generated by compressed air that's being released through a tiny port with (sometimes) enormous pressure. There is really a wide variety of such guns.. As you know some small calibers (and generally <16-20J) , like .177 are even used for sports - target shooting at Olympics, that kind of stuff. And on the other hand, there are some bad boys (2nd type guns from above) that can shoot with slugs (instead of the more traditional pellets) - they deliver quite competitive power, there are even ones that can bang with 1000 feet/sec and hundreds of Joules - pretty much enough to bring down medium to big game... that's it, not exactly shooting 101 .. :)

Vil, you need an air canon. ;) I saw one of these at the Delaware "punkin chunkin" several years ago. Awesome machine.

The Guinness world record shot is held by a pneumatic cannon dubbed "Big 10 Inch", at 5,545.43 feet (1,690.25 m), on September 9, 2010 in Moab, Utah.[2] The shot received certification from Guinness World Records in early February 2011.[3] It has also competed many times at the WCPC event in Delaware. The WCPCA World Record, which includes only shots made at the annual World Championship event, is held by Team American Chunker, captained by Brian Labrie of New Hampshire, at 4,694.68 feet (1,430.94 m) on November 1, 2013, in Bridgeville, Delaware, the longest shot in event history. The difference in results between Delaware and Utah may be due to the higher, thinner, drier air found in Utah providing less resistance and drag, thus greater range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_chucking
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil »

dualstow wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:03 pm I do hope you and your family are doing alright, Vil
Thanks DS. Not sure we are doing alright honestly. Definitely I/we are not desperate, but anxious for sure. Most likely I've mentioned it, but my plan was to do an early retirement, which unfortunately might not happen in the very near future. Official inflation is somewhere around the 20%, unofficial, I guess is most likely around 50% or so - it's everywhere - starting from the bread and butter, car engine oil and going all the way to kids swimming lessons ... it's literally everywhere. And I am not exaggerating. Unfortunately, I cannot really make the clients of my (IT) services pay me more i.e. I cannot forward/pass the inflation effects to my clients as they rely on budgets that were already done a year ago (or alike); not that I do not get a hefty paycheck, I do, but less hefty than a year ago.. Taking into account the EU stock market combined (i.e. bonds, REITs and everything) decline doesn't make things look better, too ;) Having said that, compared to everything else the US(D) PP does not look that bad, long live ! ;D
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil »

Mountaineer wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:27 am I saw one of these at the Delaware "punkin chunkin" several years ago. Awesome machine.
Haha, was not aware, thanks for sharing. People are just awesome inventing that kind of stuff, indeed.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Wow, Vil, 50% inflation... just goes to show that for all our saving and planning, so much is completely out of our control. Good luck.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

That’s rough :-(
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Vil wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:00 am
dualstow wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:03 pm
I do hope you and your family are doing alright, Vil

Thanks DS. Not sure we are doing alright honestly. Definitely I/we are not desperate, but anxious for sure. Most likely I've mentioned it, but my plan was to do an early retirement, which unfortunately might not happen in the very near future. Official inflation is somewhere around the 20%, unofficial, I guess is most likely around 50% or so - it's everywhere - starting from the bread and butter, car engine oil and going all the way to kids swimming lessons ... it's literally everywhere. And I am not exaggerating. Unfortunately, I cannot really make the clients of my (IT) services pay me more i.e. I cannot forward/pass the inflation effects to my clients as they rely on budgets that were already done a year ago (or alike); not that I do not get a hefty paycheck, I do, but less hefty than a year ago.. Taking into account the EU stock market combined (i.e. bonds, REITs and everything) decline doesn't make things look better, too ;) Having said that, compared to everything else the US(D) PP does not look that bad, long live ! ;D

Does your country have any government investment similar to our TIPS?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil »

vnatale wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:26 am Does your country have any government investment similar to our TIPS?
Nope, we don't, though Germany, Spain, France and Italy have for example.