Next up on the planned crisis list

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by Tortoise » Mon May 16, 2022 12:44 pm

ppnewbie wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 2:25 am
Mass Shootings seem to be capturing attention. I believe there is something like an average of 10 mass shootings per week in the US.

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/15/10990085 ... lly-number

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/repo ... s-shooting
Back in less propagandistic times, most of the shootings on that list wouldn't have been labeled "mass shootings". They would instead have been more accurately labeled "gang-related shootings" or "drive-by shootings".

It's possible that non-gang-related "mass shootings" have increased in recent years, but when people misleadingly lump them together with gang-related shootings, it removes important context and makes it harder to understand what's really happening.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Mon May 16, 2022 12:52 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:44 pm
ppnewbie wrote:
Mass Shootings seem to be capturing attention. I believe there is something like an average of 10 mass shootings per week in the US.

Back in less propagandistic times, most of the shootings on that list wouldn't have been labeled "mass shootings". They would instead have been more accurately labeled "gang-related shootings" or "drive-by shootings".

It's possible that non-gang-related "mass shootings" have increased in recent years, but when people misleadingly lump them together with gang-related shootings, it removes important context and makes it harder to understand what's really happening.
I thought about that. But ultimately I chose to view it as signal as opposed to noise. I think the two categories could have a significant correlation.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Tue May 17, 2022 5:10 pm

Here is a good link to get a broader perspective on the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkSRLYSojo
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed May 18, 2022 5:21 am

ppnewbie wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 5:10 pm
Here is a good link to get a broader perspective on the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkSRLYSojo
Very interesting data and presentation. Thanks.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed May 18, 2022 9:51 am

Good article in the WSJ today on the guy's online journal. (Paywall) https://www.wsj.com/articles/buffalo-sh ... lead_pos11

Nothing excuses what he did, but I think one can feel pity for him in watching/reading about his decent. There were a couple of lines that were flat out painful to read.

“I only really turned racist when 4chan started giving me facts that they were intellectually and emotionally inferior,”

“If I could go back maybe I’d tell myself to get the f— off 4chan…and get an actual life,”
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed May 18, 2022 10:03 am

Kbg wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:51 am
Good article in the WSJ today on the guy's online journal. (Paywall) https://www.wsj.com/articles/buffalo-sh ... lead_pos11

Nothing excuses what he did, but I think one can feel pity for him in watching/reading about his decent. There were a couple of lines that were flat out painful to read.

“I only really turned racist when 4chan started giving me facts that they were intellectually and emotionally inferior,”

“If I could go back maybe I’d tell myself to get the f— off 4chan…and get an actual life,”
I'm curious what seems to have caused his change of heart now?
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Wed May 18, 2022 10:18 am

Kbg wrote:
One of the worst things about modern American discourse is the inability of both sides to feel pity while acknowledging an indiviual's moral culpability. His descent is sad....but the entertainment media duopoly wants us feel structural pity for the miscreants on their side and utter revulsion for the evildoers on the other side.

I'm not religious but as a bleeding heart liberal, I look at all extremists and think "there but for the grace of god..."
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed May 18, 2022 2:33 pm

Xan wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:03 am
Kbg wrote:

I'm curious what seems to have caused his change of heart now?
These were posted before he started shooting...the one thing clear is he was very cognizant of the road he was walking down. In that light, other than sorrow for a wasted life justice should be served on behalf of his victims and the victims are where the focus of sorrow and pity should be (and their families).
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed May 18, 2022 9:44 pm

Kbg wrote:

Looks like they don't have the paywall for this one, which is unlike just about every Wall Street Journal article I attempt to access.

I am about to read it now. Thanks.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Sat May 21, 2022 1:07 am

It’s baby formula shortages turn in the spot light. I wonder what humans did for the approximate 300,000 years before it was invented.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat May 21, 2022 4:55 am

ppnewbie wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 1:07 am
It’s baby formula shortages turn in the spot light. I wonder what humans did for the approximate 300,000 years before it was invented.
Well we had fewer pregnant men back then.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat May 21, 2022 5:47 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:55 am
ppnewbie wrote:
Post of the week! ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Sat May 21, 2022 9:31 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 5:47 am
dualstow wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:55 am
ppnewbie wrote:
Post of the week! ;D
No, that's some sexist bullshit. Should be "pregnant gender non-conforming birthing-people".

Reported to mods for violent hate speech.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat May 21, 2022 10:25 am

You are correct! Good catch O0
I saw something the other day that was very Not the Onion. Hearing voices from schizophrenia is now something like “non-consensus realities.” I’m all for not stigmatizing mental health issues, but sheesh. What a joke.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Sat May 21, 2022 12:14 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:25 am
You are correct! Good catch O0
I saw something the other day that was very Not the Onion. Hearing voices from schizophrenia is now something like “non-consensus realities.” I’m all for not stigmatizing mental health issues, but sheesh. What a joke.
OMG...I can't describe how jealous I am of the genius who came up with that.

In an alternate universe I would be a post-modern philosopher who works for Sherwin Williams naming paint colors.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Thu May 26, 2022 1:22 pm

Monkeypox is worth a few million "impressions". The click machine must be fed.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu May 26, 2022 1:34 pm

ppnewbie wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:22 pm
;D ;D ;D Had my "impression" about 7 decades ago along with a few million other trusting souls. I fed the machine a long time ago; that was back when men were men, women were women, and there weren't many parasites. I think I've had almost every vaccine there is except yellow fever - and so far I've never had the disease the vaccine was intended to prevent or minimize. ;)

Camels on the Horizon:
The founder of Dubai, Sheik Rashid, was supposedly asked about the future of his country, and he replied, "My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a camel, I ride a Mercedes, my son rides a Land Rover, and my grandson is going to ride a Land Rover…but my great-grandson is going to have to ride a camel again.“ Why is that, he was asked?

And his reply was, “Hard times create strong men, strong men create easy times. Easy times create weak men, weak men create difficult times. Many will not understand it, but you have to raise warriors, not parasites.”
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu May 26, 2022 3:27 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:34 pm

ppnewbie wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:22 pm

;D ;D ;D Had my "impression" about 7 decades ago along with a few million other trusting souls. I fed the machine a long time ago; that was back when men were men, women were women, and there weren't many parasites. I think I've had almost every vaccine there is except yellow fever - and so far I've never had the disease the vaccine was intended to prevent or minimize. ;)

Camels on the Horizon:
The founder of Dubai, Sheik Rashid, was supposedly asked about the future of his country, and he replied, "My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a camel, I ride a Mercedes, my son rides a Land Rover, and my grandson is going to ride a Land Rover…but my great-grandson is going to have to ride a camel again.“ Why is that, he was asked?

And his reply was, “Hard times create strong men, strong men create easy times. Easy times create weak men, weak men create difficult times. Many will not understand it, but you have to raise warriors, not parasites.”

"There is an old saying, “shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations.” which means that the older generation started with nothing, worked hard and amassed wealth, and by the time their great-grandchildren are in charge, the family is back where they started, with nothing."
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:46 pm

ppnewbie wrote:

Well the problem with that “statistic” is that there is no accepted definition of the term “mass shooting.”
The news, police and NRA can all use their own definition.

The NPR article above uses a VERY liberal interpretation of mass shooting including domestic disputes, family squabbles, boyfriend/girlfriend spats and gang activities. You can argue as to whether those should be included or not but they are not what people first think of when they hear the term mass shooting. And the solution to these type of incidents (if there is any) may be quite different than the solution to random shooters walking into a shopping center or school.

The type of mass shooting where a random gunman goes into a shopping center, school, or restaurant and guns down random people is extremely rare. But that doesn’t get people to watch the news or vote for politicians who can fix it.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:12 am

ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:06 am

What I find is strange is how much of a mountain was made out of this. They had some parties while the country was locked down and he hired a person that was not vetted properly. Another dumb mistake. No funneling weapons to rogue states, war crimes, cash transfers, bribes. Just some parties and a hiring mistake.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:25 am

ppnewbie wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:06 am
What I find is strange is how much of a mountain was made out of this. They had some parties while the country was locked down and he hired a person that was not vetted properly. Another dumb mistake. No funneling weapons to rogue states, war crimes, cash transfers, bribes. Just some parties and a hiring mistake.
The party thing is pretty ugly in the context of mandated lockdowns.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:06 pm

ppnewbie wrote:
Maybe the British public's integrity standards are higher than the American public's, especially when it comes to their leader repeatedly lying.

FWIW, I think there is more to the story than some parties and a hiring mistake. In the past three days 28 MPs have resigned in protest from Johnson's government among them chancellor of the Exchequer and Health Minister. And many of the still seated ministers publicly called for his resignation. After some tipping point it becomes impossible for a leader to regain confidence and effectively run a government.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:11 pm

glennds wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:06 pm
ppnewbie wrote:
Maybe the British public's integrity standards are higher than the American public's, especially when it comes to their leader repeatedly lying.

FWIW, I think there is more to the story than some parties and a hiring mistake. In the past three days 28 MPs have resigned in protest from Johnson's government among them chancellor of the Exchequer and Health Minister. And many of the still seated ministers publicly called for his resignation. After some tipping point it becomes impossible for a leader to regain confidence and effectively run a government.
Yeah it probably is a case where there is alot of smoke there is probably a raging fire. Johnson and Cameron were members of a club at Oxford called the Bullingdon club. The dining club is comprised of very wealthy and privileged kids. They are noted for going out to dinner and then promptly destroying the restaurant then paying for the damages on the spot. Just having a spot of fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullingdon_Club
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:56 pm

Johnson lost his party which in the UK system means he lost his job...in the UK press the conservative insiders were saying they don't trust a thing he says anymore. Good politicians know how to count noses and I'm guessing Johnson knew he had a choice between getting kicked out immediately in disgrace or going out with some face saved.