Next up on the planned crisis list

ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 6:04 pm

Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by ppnewbie » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:40 pm

Wow thats click baity?

Straight from the heart of Davos - Ukraine, Climate change, Cyber warfare...

I was a lefty, morphing into a libertarian (still left leaning), now a libertarian (right leaning). I've never done it before but in the absence of a very wise heavily right leaning democrat, I'm likely turning away from the democrats. I great ticket IMHO would be Joe Manchin / Rand Paul.

I am just so tired of the liberal elite BS (you may actually be able to classify me as that). I know retired wall street fat cats. My kids look at their beautiful homes in envy and I tell them, I am paying for that @SSh*H#$LES health care. There are so many perverse incentives I can name it kind of makes me want to barf.

All the breathless talk about people not wearing masks and shaming. It's outrageous.

OK vent over.
User avatar
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:01 pm

The more you think, the worse it feels.
User avatar
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:50 am

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by Hal » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:34 am

ppnewbie wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:40 pm

All the breathless talk about people not wearing masks and shaming. It's outrageous.

OK vent over.
It's just a distraction. Relax and have a read of Sun Tzu.... ;)
https://ia600502.us.archive.org/12/item ... tOfWar.pdf
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 6:04 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by ppnewbie » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:15 pm

Russia is going to invade Ukraine on Tuesday at 3pm!!!

Meanwhile EU countries have not pulled their embassy workers and the President of Ukraine seems very relaxed, while Putin is laughing at the west.

"MOSCOW, February 16. /TASS/. Russian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova has jokingly asked American and British media outlets to release a schedule of Russia’s "upcoming invasions" of Ukraine for the current year.

"I’d like to request US and British disinformation: Bloomberg, The New York Times and The Sun media outlets to publish the schedule for our upcoming invasions for the year. I’d like to plan my vacation," the Russian diplomat said on her Telegram channel Wednesday."
User avatar
joypog
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:42 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by joypog » Sun May 08, 2022 9:00 am

ppnewbie wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:15 pm
Russia is going to invade Ukraine on Tuesday at 3pm!!!
...clip...
"I’d like to request US and British disinformation: Bloomberg, The New York Times and The Sun media outlets to publish the schedule for our upcoming invasions for the year. I’d like to plan my vacation," the Russian diplomat said on her Telegram channel Wednesday."
This comment was posted on was 2/19...and the Tuesday after was 2/22...a couple days off, but what's 48 hours among friends?

Didn't realize that Biden was so courteous to almost satisfy the request of the Russian diplomat.
35-US, 10-SV, 10-Intl, 10-LTT, 10-Gold, 25-Cash
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 6:04 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by ppnewbie » Sun May 08, 2022 12:14 pm

Its Roe v. Wade and inflation now. Next new surge in Covid, next market crash, next the bird flu.

To me it’s not just Dems, it’s both sides which are really the two sides of the same coin (IMHO).
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3927
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by Xan » Sun May 08, 2022 3:53 pm

If you just assume that any news is a "planned crisis", then you'll always be right!
User avatar
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3398
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by Desert » Mon May 09, 2022 1:39 pm

ppnewbie wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:15 pm
Russia is going to invade Ukraine on Tuesday at 3pm!!!

Meanwhile EU countries have not pulled their embassy workers and the President of Ukraine seems very relaxed, while Putin is laughing at the west.

"MOSCOW, February 16. /TASS/. Russian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova has jokingly asked American and British media outlets to release a schedule of Russia’s "upcoming invasions" of Ukraine for the current year.

"I’d like to request US and British disinformation: Bloomberg, The New York Times and The Sun media outlets to publish the schedule for our upcoming invasions for the year. I’d like to plan my vacation," the Russian diplomat said on her Telegram channel Wednesday."
I interpreted this post as mocking those who thought an invasion was imminent. Rereading it, I still interpret it as such. The fact that ppnewbie continues to post without even mentioning how wrong he was in this take is interesting to me.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2304
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by Kbg » Mon May 09, 2022 3:42 pm

I don't think I've seen a place like this that gets so unhinged over news.

Internet tips: You do not have to click on click bait and you can chose not to consume news of any kind.

Try going without any news for a month...you will come to realize 99% of it has no impact your personal daily life.
User avatar
joypog
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:42 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by joypog » Mon May 09, 2022 4:17 pm

Kbg wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:42 pm
I don't think I've seen a place like this that gets so unhinged over news.

Internet tips: You do not have to click on click bait and you can chose not to consume news of any kind.

Try going without any news for a month...you will come to realize 99% of it has no impact your personal daily life.
I can't. I'm an ape. I must see what <insert goregeous babe from 1970> looks like today.
35-US, 10-SV, 10-Intl, 10-LTT, 10-Gold, 25-Cash
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2304
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by Kbg » Mon May 09, 2022 4:31 pm

joypog wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:17 pm
Kbg wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:42 pm
I don't think I've seen a place like this that gets so unhinged over news.

Internet tips: You do not have to click on click bait and you can chose not to consume news of any kind.

Try going without any news for a month...you will come to realize 99% of it has no impact your personal daily life.
I can't. I'm an ape. I must see what <insert goregeous babe from 1970> looks like today.
Seriously, you are that crude!?

I click on those for the calories I burn due to the 75 clicks required to get to the gorgeous babe from the 70s.

Well that’s not quite true. I do it because I like to hear my graphics processor fan kick in due to all the pop-ups.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 12641
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by dualstow » Tue May 10, 2022 2:12 pm

Kbg wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:42 pm
Try going without any news for a month...you will come to realize 99% of it has no impact your personal daily life.
i’m reminded of that guy, a former Nike executive involved in digital media if I recall, who shut himself off from all news circa 2016. His brother alerts him in case of emergencies.

Should we pm you if something serious comes up? O0
let 2022 be the year of GOLD
exergue- a small space or inscription below the principal emblem on a coin or medal, usually on the reverse side.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2304
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by Kbg » Wed May 11, 2022 11:23 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:12 pm
Kbg wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:42 pm
Try going without any news for a month...you will come to realize 99% of it has no impact your personal daily life.
i’m reminded of that guy, a former Nike executive involved in digital media if I recall, who shut himself off from all news circa 2016. His brother alerts him in case of emergencies.

Should we pm you if something serious comes up? O0
Nah...I'm pretty immune to getting spun up by "news" for reasons I think which I've stated previously.

- Mainstream news in the US is of heinously bad quality and has been for a couple of decades now. Most of the reasons for this are economically induced. It's just a very tough business to be in and it's all about corporate profits now vs. content quality. There's always been a business aspect but the internet has essentially gutted actual old school investigative journalism and folks out finding stories vs. regurging something that spikes on the internet

- We've reverted to not even pretending to try and provide non politically biased reporting. A political spin orientation is a selling point for most US news organizations now. Standard business practice really...identify your market segment and service it.

- Most reporters are just not very good at what they do due to lack of expertise. Due to the above dynamics most of them tend to be very young and come from the humanities. This might be ok for politics and entertainment reporting, not so much for every other subject.

I tend to gravitate to sources that are more "just the facts ma'am" and then draw my own conclusions. The newswire services are good for that as is Twitter believe it or not. Twitter has a lot of crap you have to filter through but if you have a couple of interest areas after a bit you can sort out what's what. (e.g. basic facts posters, opinion posters, trolls etc.).

Side note...it will be interesting to see what happens with Twitter when Elon Musk takes over. I think there is a very difficult issue anyone running Twitter faces...being as open as possible without turning the platform into a large garbage dump. This issue was a huge corporate problem (I think) about three years ago...the garbage dump was winning and they were losing a lot of users.

Sorta like what happened here...

It's a tough thing to navigate one's way through...but people eventually leave sewers. I've seen this happen SO many times over the past 30 years of my internet life.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2304
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by Kbg » Wed May 11, 2022 11:28 am

one more comment...most news that actually impacts our lives is local and there's not much of that around anymore which is unfortunate.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 12641
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by dualstow » Wed May 11, 2022 1:03 pm

Kbg wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 11:28 am
one more comment...most news that actually impacts our lives is local and there's not much of that around anymore which is unfortunate.
The little guy keeps getting absorbed by the bigger one that can survive. I had to drop a USA Today subscription that was essentially free, it was so bad. I agree with you about Twitter. There are some diamonds in the rough. I also read Foreign Affairs, which some might not like, but at least it’s well written.
let 2022 be the year of GOLD
exergue- a small space or inscription below the principal emblem on a coin or medal, usually on the reverse side.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2304
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by Kbg » Wed May 11, 2022 6:43 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:03 pm
The little guy keeps getting absorbed by the bigger one that can survive.
I would quibble with this...local newspapers and radio stations that report on local items (not adverts) are rapidly vanishing. So not absorption but rather extinction.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 12641
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by dualstow » Wed May 11, 2022 7:14 pm

Right, I’m not saying that the local reporting survives, but rather why it doesn’t.

Here’s part of it: https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/st ... ocal-news/
As they acquired hundreds of newspapers in recent years, private-equity firms cut reporting staff and reduced local coverage more than other types of owners, according to the paper.
private-equity firms were better able than other ownership types to increase digital subscriptions during the study period, from 2001 through 2019.

That’s because their expertise is turning around distressed businesses and making profits for their investors, not building public-service entities for the long term.
let 2022 be the year of GOLD
exergue- a small space or inscription below the principal emblem on a coin or medal, usually on the reverse side.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2304
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by Kbg » Thu May 12, 2022 8:12 am

Hey thanks for that link! An interesting read.

I think it depends on market size as well as to what happens. The hedge funds are likely involved in mid to larger cityscapes. For small town America the papers have just been closing down.

It's a super tough business to be in now and a lot of people way smarter than me have tried to figure out a new business model. In today's world yesterday's headlines on paper just doesn't cut it and we've gotten accustomed to "free" news.
User avatar
joypog
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:42 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by joypog » Thu May 12, 2022 8:53 am

Kbg wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:12 am
Hey thanks for that link! An interesting read.

I think it depends on market size as well as to what happens. The hedge funds are likely involved in mid to larger cityscapes. For small town America the papers have just been closing down.

It's a super tough business to be in now and a lot of people way smarter than me have tried to figure out a new business model. In today's world yesterday's headlines on paper just doesn't cut it and we've gotten accustomed to "free" news.
I suspect a non-profit model like our local Nevada Indy might be the path forward. Our local newspaper is just garbage (their website, haven't seen a physical copy in years).

Speaking of planned crises - can you plan it any better than the repal of Roe v Wade? Aside from the seismic shock itself, it will continue to reverberate by moving the battle to the state level will mean spicy statehouse fights for the foreseeable future (on top of our usual quadriennial federal cluster).
35-US, 10-SV, 10-Intl, 10-LTT, 10-Gold, 25-Cash
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 896
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:40 am
Contact:

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by boglerdude » Thu May 12, 2022 4:48 pm

The new business model is Bezos et al pay you 40k/year to push narratives
Attachments
Democracy Dies in Darkness.png
Democracy Dies in Darkness.png (335.14 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Last edited by boglerdude on Thu May 12, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 6:04 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by ppnewbie » Thu May 12, 2022 5:58 pm

Desert wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:39 pm
ppnewbie wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:15 pm
Russia is going to invade Ukraine on Tuesday at 3pm!!!

Meanwhile EU countries have not pulled their embassy workers and the President of Ukraine seems very relaxed, while Putin is laughing at the west.

"MOSCOW, February 16. /TASS/. Russian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova has jokingly asked American and British media outlets to release a schedule of Russia’s "upcoming invasions" of Ukraine for the current year.

"I’d like to request US and British disinformation: Bloomberg, The New York Times and The Sun media outlets to publish the schedule for our upcoming invasions for the year. I’d like to plan my vacation," the Russian diplomat said on her Telegram channel Wednesday."
I interpreted this post as mocking those who thought an invasion was imminent. Rereading it, I still interpret it as such. The fact that ppnewbie continues to post without even mentioning how wrong he was in this take is interesting to me.
My bad on this one. I got it wrong.
User avatar
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3398
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by Desert » Fri May 13, 2022 9:46 am

ppnewbie wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 5:58 pm

My bad on this one. I got it wrong.
Thanks ppnewbie, and I'll work on being less of an old grumpy bastard. :)
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 6:04 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by ppnewbie » Fri May 13, 2022 10:25 am

Desert wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:46 am
ppnewbie wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 5:58 pm

My bad on this one. I got it wrong.
Thanks ppnewbie, and I'll work on being less of an old grumpy bastard. :)
I need to work on that as well.
User avatar
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by I Shrugged » Fri May 13, 2022 10:00 pm

I have a satisfactory amount of grumpiness.
User avatar
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3398
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: Next up on the planned crisis list

Post by Desert » Sat May 14, 2022 7:51 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 10:00 pm
I have a satisfactory amount of grumpiness.
;D
Post Reply