Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Reasons why I will not be getting injected for the Wuhan

Post by whatchamacallit » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:40 pm

pp4me wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:18 pm
I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:02 pm
Google absolutely suppresses search suggestions and results. When the story was out about Biden supposedly sharting, I and a friend in another state both tested the search engines by typing Joe Biden and seeing the proposed searches.

Both DDG and Bing offered:
Joe Biden craps pants
Joe Biden falls asleep
and whatever else

Google offered stuff like
Joe Biden speech today
Joe Biden Afghanistan

Which list do you think better reflected the searches being conducted?
I actually don't mind if Google sorts through news stories weeding out the ones that are actually important and relevant.

I don't put Biden farting/sharting or allegedly crapping his pants in that category.

On the other hand I have the feeling that if it was or had been Donald Trump it would be at the top of the list. And that is the problem with Google and other online media as I see it.
Check out who is missing from top ten politicians searched in 2020. Mitt Romney made it. Rewriting history.
https://trends.google.com/trends/yis/2020/US/
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:39 am

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:41 am
whatchamacallit wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:40 pm

Check out who is missing from top ten politicians searched in 2020. Mitt Romney made it. Rewriting history.
The fact that Google thinks this is okay makes me shudder.
I use Google search almost exclusively. There was no reason for Trump to be top in searches because he was always in 80+% of the news articles that showed up, first of all, and second, if I am a left leaning liberal I certainly got way over tired and sick of Trump so why the hell would I be searching for him anyway? And if I am using Google, according to many here I AM left wing, and again, why would I be putting Trump in as a search term?

Does this make sense or not?

I am pretty darn certain I never put Trump into a search in the past number of years. There was never any need. I was inundated with Trump stories.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:39 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:39 am
MangoMan wrote:
whatchamacallit wrote:

I use Google search almost exclusively. There was no reason for Trump to be top in searches because he was always in 80+% of the news articles that showed up, first of all, and second, if I am a left leaning liberal I certainly got way over tired and sick of Trump so why the hell would I be searching for him anyway? And if I am using Google, according to many here I AM left wing, and again, why would I be putting Trump in as a search term?

I am pretty darn certain I never put Trump into a search in the past number of years. There was never any need. I was inundated with Trump stories.
Nah. They are definitely hiding it.

I found someone else that noticed it. I didn't think I could be only one.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/trump-po ... ton-malin-
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:02 am

whatchamacallit wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:39 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:39 am
MangoMan wrote:
whatchamacallit wrote:

Nah. They are definitely hiding it.

I found someone else that noticed it. I didn't think I could be only one.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/trump-po ... ton-malin-
From the comments (same guy who wrote the article) on Linkedin:

Thanks to Bill Shander for pointing out that Google's 2020 Year in Search report ranks search terms that showed a big increase from 2019 to 2020. That means it would be technically possible for Donald Trump to have generated more searches than Biden in both 2019 and 2020, but if there wasn't a big jump in search requests during 2020, he would not have made the 2020 lists. So, the report appears to show that searches for Trump didn't spike this election year, compared to 2019.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:15 am

Thanks Corto.

It is a relief that it is not necessarily something nefarious.

It does look like trump was searched more than biden though so it is quite misleading.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:50 am

pp4me wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:18 pm

I actually don't mind if Google sorts through news stories weeding out the ones that are actually important and relevant.

I do mind. To me that puts Google in position of curating what I see. But, we are talking about search suggestions, not results, so that's a little different. But I still think the suggestions should not be curated, but should simply be auto-complete offerings of the most common searches. ie The suggestions should be to save typing, not to guide me in certain ways.

As far as search results, that issue is complicated in a different way, but overall I think they should presented according to popularity of click throughs. Not screened and presented by Google's wishes. Which is definitely what they do.

I hate the internet. I honestly think my life was better before it was ubiquitous.

edit: sorry for getting so far off topic. Back to vaccines....
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:58 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:50 am

I hate the internet. I honestly think my life was better before it was ubiquitous.
In many ways, I totally agree.

Work related, though, I am sitting here designing a PCB. I need to add a new part. The schematic/layout software I use is tied into all the major distributors of parts. I search for a few parameters, select a part, drop it onto the schematic and am able to bring up a datasheet literally within 1-2 minutes.

That would have taken one to an unknown number of days, phone calls, databook requests, or simply not being able to find the appropriate part for lack of searching in the right spot or with the right vendor or not having the right databook.

I can bring up a bill of materials that real time shows me stock of parts in my design. And I can design something else in or allow for alternates in again, 1-2 minutes. 20 years ago, there were whole departments that dealt with parts inventory and sourcing. I would have no idea if what I was putting in was even available!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:02 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:58 am
I Shrugged wrote:

Work related, though, I am sitting here designing a PCB. I need to add a new part. The schematic/layout software I use is tied into all the major distributors of parts. I search for a few parameters, select a part, drop it onto the schematic and am able to bring up a datasheet literally within 1-2 minutes.

That would have taken one to an unknown number of days, phone calls, databook requests, or simply not being able to find the appropriate part for lack of searching in the right spot or with the right vendor or not having the right databook.

I can bring up a bill of materials that real time shows me stock of parts in my design. And I can design something else in or allow for alternates in again, 1-2 minutes. 20 years ago, there were whole departments that dealt with parts inventory and sourcing. I would have no idea if what I was putting in was even available!
I tend to think of the internet like any other tool. Can be very useful, or dangerous when used improperly. That goes for everything from shovels, knives, guns, the Bible, hammers, to computers and cell phones. Temptations for improper use abound. Discernment is key quality.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:47 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:02 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
I Shrugged wrote:

I tend to think of the internet like any other tool. Can be very useful, or dangerous when used improperly. That goes for everything from shovels, knives, guns, the Bible, hammers, to computers and cell phones. Temptations for improper use abound. Discernment is key quality.
So it is as simple as resisting temptation?
:)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:00 am

Mountaineer wrote:

I again completely agree with the above wisdom of the forum member known as "Mountaineer"!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:28 pm

Anybody following the release of abstract of a study which says that cardiac inflammation markers are considerably elevated in the study subjects following vaccination? Here is John Campbell doing a video on it. He basically says, the abstract sounds interesting, let's see the study. I have to say, as a vaccinated person I found it depressing. Now a day later I've mostly put it in the rearview mirror, but we'll see. Anyway, if this study can be validated, oh boy.

https://youtu.be/LEBGl8MVE-c
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:42 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:
I Shrugged wrote:

It is also a matter of time spent. Not everyone has a gun. People dont walk around, drive or go to work with a shovel most likely. But everyone has a cell phone on them 24/7. So the negative aspects are more frequent and elevated.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:13 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:17 pm

It would be really awesome if some organization could just report the facts, without any opinion or bias. Not holding my breath.
If such an organization appeared, and just reported the facts, I wonder how many people would even believe them?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:33 pm

glennds wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:13 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:17 pm

It would be really awesome if some organization could just report the facts, without any opinion or bias. Not holding my breath.

If such an organization appeared, and just reported the facts, I wonder how many people would even believe them?

Yes!!!!!

EVERYONE has biases to which they filter ALL facts. I guess it comes down to how much "distortion" each one of us creates with the facts.

And, aside from biases ... professionals (lawyers, accountants, doctors, engineers and so on) are provided with the same set of facts yet come up with either different conclusions or recommendations.

Therefore, just having or being provided "the facts" is not the end all? Maybe a good start and may lead to better results. But not all that is necessary.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:49 pm

What we refer to as “facts” are actually data+interpretation+persuasion. So more “facts” are not really a solution.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:40 pm

glennds wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:13 pm
It seems not many...every where I look on the internet critical thinking skills seems to be a dying art. I know very few people these days that don't lead with their opinions and then work back from there.

I sorta get that on moral issues, but a lot of the stuff that gets argued over actually isn't based in/on a moral code like a religious text or a philosophical school that addresses morality.

As I've said umpteen times in this thread, COVID isn't political (or moral). It's going to do what it's going to do.

Factually COVID comes down one thing and one thing only. Protect myself, protect others and what is the best way to do that based on the most recent evidence. And on the protect myself front, it comes down to do I protect myself with a vaccine or subject myself to vaccine complications. Anything more, or less than the just above is just a bunch of bullhockey.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:28 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:49 pm
What we refer to as “facts” are actually data+interpretation+persuasion. So more “facts” are not really a solution.
Not only that, but there's a lot more to covering the news than just fact vs opinion. For example, which stories get coverage and which are buried? Even if you're presenting everything 100% factually, you can get dramatically different spins on the world by adjusting what you cover and what you don't.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:45 am

Xan wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:28 pm

flyingpylon wrote:

Not only that, but there's a lot more to covering the news than just fact vs opinion. For example, which stories get coverage and which are buried? Even if you're presenting everything 100% factually, you can get dramatically different spins on the world by adjusting what you cover and what you don't.

Exactly the same way a picture or a video does not tell the whole story. It depends upon what that camera that produced the picture or video was focused on.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:02 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:45 am
Xan wrote:
flyingpylon wrote:
Exactly the same way a picture or a video does not tell the whole story. It depends upon what that camera that produced the picture or video was focused on.
Exactly. One of my many problems with Covid coverage is the constantly changing of focus to (in my opinion) always highlight the negative. On any given day you could choose to focus on cases, hospitalizations, deaths etc. And you can constantly move the reference point. Are you measuring it vs last week, last month, last 6 months or last year? On any given day some of those could look positive and some could look negative. How do you report those "facts"? Do you go thru every single one of them. What sort of information does it provide to people that "cases are up over the last months but down over the last week but up over the last 6 months but down from last year"?
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:22 am

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:02 am
vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:45 am
Xan wrote:
flyingpylon wrote:
Exactly. One of my many problems with Covid coverage is the constantly changing of focus to (in my opinion) always highlight the negative. On any given day you could choose to focus on cases, hospitalizations, deaths etc. And you can constantly move the reference point. Are you measuring it vs last week, last month, last 6 months or last year? On any given day some of those could look positive and some could look negative. How do you report those "facts"? Do you go thru every single one of them. What sort of information does it provide to people that "cases are up over the last months but down over the last week but up over the last 6 months but down from last year"?
Agree, this is annoying. But I think this is where personal responsibility and the ability to think critically, evaluate sources and weigh evidence rationally come into play. That's not a news problem that's a you problem (meant in the generic sense not personally).

For profit news organizations have at an elemental level worked the same for a very long time (hundreds of years). Know your audience, create controversy (buzz) to generate sales. News has to pay the bills/make a profit. I don't begrudge them operating in a manner that makes them profitable. What and how they do it isn't all that different from any business. Regardless of one's political views and news source consumption points, I actually DO expect people to understand the dynamic going on...and if they don't, they should open their eyes.

Here's an experience I suggest everyone try. Flip your news source 180 for about three months and I guarantee you your views will at least moderately change on several issues. There's a host of psychological reasons for this phenomena and it's a very rare person who can do that and not be impacted. Because most people are not comfortable having their views challenged they self-select in many areas of life including news consumption.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:56 am

Kbg wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:22 am

Here's an experience I suggest everyone try. Flip your news source 180 for about three months and I guarantee you your views will at least moderately change on several issues. There's a host of psychological reasons for this phenomena and it's a very rare person who can do that and not be impacted. Because most people are not comfortable having their views challenged they self-select in many areas of life including news consumption.
So you are saying that even though I am a (figuratively) card carrying Libertarian, if I watched MSNBC for 3 months I would soften my views on government intervention into private markets?? That either presumes that I have never been exposed to or thought thru the arguments of statists before or it implies that if you are exposed to just one narrative over a period of time, you can be shaped to the will of your sources. It would be an interesting experiment although I can't think of a more painful one to try out!
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:25 pm

-libertarian people are the rare individuals
-I stopped on a public radio channel recently when I was in the car. And only the few minutes I listened, I quickly was formulating counter arguments to the propaganda / specious reasoning which was being put forward. There's not enough hours in the day for me to refute every bad argument that's out there, so I will have to pass on your experiment.
-in principle, of course you are right. Propagandists do propaganda. Advertisers do advertising. That is the profession they are engaged in. Consider that if advertising wasn't effective, corporations wouldn't pay a million dollars a minute for super bowl air time
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:28 pm

murphy_p_t wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:25 pm

-libertarian people are the rare individuals
-I stopped on a public radio channel recently when I was in the car. And only the few minutes I listened, I quickly was formulating counter arguments to the propaganda / specious reasoning which was being put forward. There's not enough hours in the day for me to refute every bad argument that's out there, so I will have to pass on your experiment.
-in principle, of course you are right. Propagandists do propaganda. Advertisers do advertising. That is the profession they are engaged in. Consider that if advertising wasn't effective, corporations wouldn't pay a million dollars a minute for super bowl air time

Would you believe that you were off by a factor of 11 times??!!!

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... xoygv9690a

How much do Super Bowl commercials cost in 2021?
CBS opened the bidding for 30-second commercial spots for Super Bowl 55 at $5.6 million, which was the average cost of the same length advertisement for last year's game.

Unlike last year, though, when Fox sold out of its ad slots in November, CBS didn't sell out until late January, and they weren't all going for that opening bidding price. According to AdWeek, Scotts Miracle-Gro purchased an ad slot in mid-January for a slightly discounted $5.5 million.

To be included as an advertiser in CBS' live stream of the Super Bowl, companies had to pay an additional $300,000, according to AdWeek.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:06 pm

Got my booster and flu shots today. If history is any guide, tomorrow is not going to be good!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:56 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:06 pm
Got my booster and flu shots today. If history is any guide, tomorrow is not going to be good!
Best wishes for a comfortable tomorrow!
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.