Would you wear a mask?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Would you wear a mask, if available, to the grocery store tomorrow?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:59 pm

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 27
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Would you wear a mask?

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:01 pm

pugchief wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:03 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:35 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:03 pm

Until now I had no idea plastic ones existed!

My mistake. Wife wears paper masks and they come wrapped in plastic. I suppose that’s a little better, but not great. My dental hygenist was wearing a plastic one the other day.
I love reusable cotton ones. It may just be theater, still i’m used to them.

There are no all plastic masks (you would suffocate). The article is referring to those blue masks that look medical but aren't.

Which was why I was so surprised to find out about them here. I was wondering how plastic masks had been invented to both do the job and allow breathing.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:37 pm

Right, no all-plastic, but some incorporate plastic.
https://www.amazon.com/Covering-Anti-Du ... 27&sr=8-58
another day, another North Korean missile
let 2022 be the year of GOLD 🦣
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:26 am

There should be an official name for those who want to live normal lives again but want everyone else to take the vaccination risks and wear masks so they can just ride their coattails like a draft dodger to a vet.

They let everyone get us to herd immunity so they don’t have to do anything themselves.

Perhaps because I felt the devastation and effects of covid first hand I have a strong opinion about those who are part of the problem and not part of the solution.

I don’t give a rats ass about what one thinks about the effectiveness of either as data is always changing but in the fight against the rona you are either part of the solution trying to get us back to normal lives in the hard hit areas or you are part of the problem as no matter where you are people from your area are bringing it back to our area when they come here
Last edited by mathjak107 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:30 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:26 am
There should be an official name for those who want to live normal lives again but want everyone else to take the vaccination risks and wear masks so they can just ride their coattails like a draft dodger to a vet.
I'm sure you're trolling MJ but I will feed you.

The name of the first group is rugged Americans. The name of the second is foolish cowards sprinkled with the evil.

There are exceptions in both groups as many are required to take the injection for their livelihood.
Last edited by SomeDude on Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:32 am

Nope not trolling , I call it as I see it ..just sayin...

Anyone is free to do as they please just as I have a right to think of them any way I want..

They are either helping herd immunity happening or part of the problem ...

I want to hug my kids , I want to hug our grand kids who we have not seen in a year .

For those of you who live in areas un effected much , then me telling you this is like describing the color orange to a blind person ..,you will never understand
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:22 am

I'm not so much worried about herd immunity. I'm more in favor of culling the herd.
"How bad do you think it's gonna be?"
"Pretty goddamn bad. Probably all the other Families will line up against us. That's all right. These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood. Been ten years since the last one. You know, you gotta stop them at the beginning. Like they should have stopped Hitler at Munich, they should never let him get away with that, they was just asking for trouble."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:46 pm

Rode Amtrak Northeast Corridor the other day.
Noted without comment: the announcement included, “If we see you’re not wearing a mask, the first time we’ll ask you to put it on. The second time, we’ll ask you to get off the train. That’s only happened once in 10,000 trips…”
On the outbound trip, I noticed a bunch of younger girls got on without them. Might have interfered with their makeup.

On the return trip, there was one dude who decided to take his mask off for a phone call. He then proceeded to blast a game through his tablet’s speakers. In the quiet car. I did not confront. I used to, about the quiet car, but even if I decided to start doing it again, it wouldn’t be about masks. Only about noise.

Meanwhile, the conductor- not the one who made the announcement as there was a full crew change — passed him several times and failed to notice.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:09 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:46 pm
Rode Amtrak Northeast Corridor the other day.
Noted without comment: the announcement included, “If we see you’re not wearing a mask, the first time we’ll ask you to put it on. The second time, we’ll ask you to get off the train. That’s only happened once in 10,000 trips…”
On the outbound trip, I noticed a bunch of younger girls got on without them. Might have interfered with their makeup.

On the return trip, there was one dude who decided to take his mask off for a phone call. He then proceeded to blast a game through his tablet’s speakers. In the quiet car. I did not confront. I used to, about the quiet car, but even if I decided to start doing it again, it wouldn’t be about masks. Only about noise.

Meanwhile, the conductor- not the one who made the announcement as there was a full crew change — passed him several times and failed to notice.
More evidence that many only care about themselves. Whatever happened to people who care about others?
God’s will is truly strange to a moral person. God seeks not to reward virtue but to have mercy in the person of his son, Jesus Christ. From page 135, Luther’s Outlaw God by Steven D. Paulson.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:44 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:09 pm

More evidence that many only care about themselves. Whatever happened to people who care about others?
Fucking vaccine denier.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:52 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:44 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:09 pm

Fucking vaccine denier.
Why do you say that?
God’s will is truly strange to a moral person. God seeks not to reward virtue but to have mercy in the person of his son, Jesus Christ. From page 135, Luther’s Outlaw God by Steven D. Paulson.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:02 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:52 pm
Why do you say that?
Well, you’re a smart man. And a chemist. And a hard scientist. So I suspect that you know it was a bit in jest. But only semi-jest.

In very crude terms you shouldn’t give a damn what the unvaccinated do if you are vaccinated. But you do. Thus…. the vaccine isn’t all that and a bag of crisps.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:05 pm

And those who would have the world revolve around their concept of social responsibility? IMHO, that's the height of selfishness.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:42 am

I feel somewhat differently about masks than I did before the vax came along. It was all we had. I don’t really believe that my non-N95 cloth mask is doing that much to protect me, but if i saw a maskless person on the train coughing, I’d think that was selfish. In the main, it’s a formality, something like checking out at a hotel instead of just leaving.

Now i’m double vaxxed. Either it’s protecting me, minimizing the risk of death, or it’s not. If I don’t think it’s protecting me, I probably shouldn’t be on a train no matter what my fellow passengers are up to. (And yet, I flew in 2020, pre-vax), to help my parents.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:00 am

If there was one good thing about the masks, lockdowns, forced closures of "non-essential" businesses, and mandatory vaccines it's that it seems to have reminded a lot of people of the quote from Benjamin Franklin, "“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” (I thought that was Jefferson until I looked it up, BTW).

Not all, of course. Most still worship at the feet of leviathin as long as he promises to keep us safe and they even have what feels like a growing disdain for those who do not follow the herd.

Along with all the corruption, censorship, fake news, etc, from the conglomerate of big government, big media, and big tech, I have a sense that this is waking a lot of people up.

Here in Florida, imagine what the difference would have been during the pandemic if Jeb Bush was still governor instead of Ron DeSantis. I suspect we would still be locked down by this Republican governor.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:02 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:02 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:52 pm
Why do you say that?
Well, you’re a smart man.
Thanks, but no more than the 1%. 😉

And a chemist.
No. Chemical Engineer. WAY different! 🤓

And a hard scientist.
Yes. But when I was a lot younger. 👍🏼

So I suspect that you know it was a bit in jest. But only semi-jest.
Hmmmmm. 🤡

In very crude terms you shouldn’t give a damn what the unvaccinated do if you are vaccinated.
But you do.
At about the same degree I care about others welfare on most things. 😇

Thus…. the vaccine isn’t all that and a bag of crisps.
I don’t really get your meaning on this. 🧐
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:18 am

I believe Mark's point is that if the vaccine worked, the behavior of the unvaccinated wouldn't affect the vaccinated, and so if anybody who's vaccinated complains about people being unvaccinated, that makes them vaccine deniers.

Of course this point of view relies on a number of flawed assumptions, the most glaring being that a vaccine must be either perfect or worthless.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:20 am

Xan wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:18 am
I believe Mark's point is that if the vaccine worked, the behavior of the unvaccinated wouldn't affect the vaccinated, and so if anybody who's vaccinated complains about people being unvaccinated, that makes them vaccine deniers.

Of course this point of view relies on a number of flawed assumptions, the most glaring being that a vaccine must be either perfect or worthless.
It depends on the definition of "vaccine"...
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:30 am

I went to the Rutgers / University of Massachusetts basketball game on Saturday (held at the latter's campus).

I was quite surprised to see that we were all required to wear masks when inside. There seemed to be 100% compliance. I heard one event staff person say to someone during the game ....."keep your mask covering your face."

We later went to a pizza place. As soon as I walked in a woman employee asked me if I had a mask.

Amherst is the county next to mine. Seems like many towns in that county have different mask wearing rules than many of the towns in my county.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:07 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:30 am
I went to the Rutgers / University of Massachusetts basketball game on Saturday (held at the latter's campus).

I was quite surprised to see that we were all required to wear masks when inside. There seemed to be 100% compliance. I heard one event staff person say to someone during the game ....."keep your mask covering your face."

We later went to a pizza place. As soon as I walked in a woman employee asked me if I had a mask.

Amherst is the county next to mine. Seems like many towns in that county have different mask wearing rules than many of the towns in my county.
This gets more to what I was commenting on in my response to Dualstow: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10580&p=235739#p235714

It's the flagrant narcissism that pushes my buttons, not just on mask wearing, it's more on people choosing on their own to not follow the rules of a business establishment, or the government.

My view is if one does not choose to follow the rules (and I'm not talking about paying taxes) then don't frequent the establishment. It's everything from running red lights, to catch and release at our borders, to going out in public when you are sick and coughing in someone's face. My hypothesis is the narcissism is fine tuned partly due to people being on their devices 24/7 and not interacting with other people. Whatever happened to enjoying a chat in the front yard with a neighbor instead of sitting in the basement glued to a video game? We are losing the joy of intimate contact with other humans and losing respect for other humans with an over abundance of "I'm the most important person on the planet and don't you forget it; it's all about me dude". I'm all for not having things mandated, but at the same time I'm all for personal responsibility in following established laws and business guidelines that are put in place by those people the voters picked or established by the business owner whenever possible.

If a town wishes to have local ordinances that are different from the next town over, so what? If one restaurant or sports arena wants to have everyone enter wearing a mask and then taking it off only when eating/drinking, and another requires no masks, so what? I may think it's quite stupid one way or the other, but so what? I'm not the king of anything, especially you. :)

As for the vaccinated or unvaccinated - personal choice, but realize that either way comes with consequences, likely some that are unintended.

Aretha had it right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOUqQt3Kg0
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:48 pm

Yes, there is a little bit of “rules for thee and not for me” with those who just dispense with the rules on the train, Mountaineer. 🖖

I mean, compared to the lockdowns that Hal has kept us informed of in Aus and in China that my wife tells me about, the whole mask thing feels like a joke. But still…
The dude blasting the ball game on the train wasn’t going to kill me either, but it still pissed me off. O0
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:41 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:07 pm
It's the flagrant narcissism that pushes my buttons, not just on mask wearing, it's more on people choosing on their own to not follow
As a Christian, don't you have any problem passing judgment on other people as "flagrant narcissiists"? I think Jesus had a few things to say about that.

I know it says in the book of Romans (I think -chapter 13?) "The powers that be are ordained by God" and should therefore be obeyed as your Christian duty.

If you were a Lutheran living in Germany in the 1930's would you have followed that dictum? The early Christians didn't even obey it when it came to worshipping Caeser so who are you to decide and under what principles do your feel free to to judge other people?

I'm not comparing those issuing mandatory mask wearing and vaccines to Nazis, just pointing out that this isn't as clear cut as you think it is to justify your judgment against others.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:56 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:41 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
It's the flagrant narcissism that pushes my buttons, not just on mask wearing, it's more on people choosing on their own to not follow
As a Christian, don't you have any problem passing judgment on other people as "flagrant narcissiists"? I think Jesus had a few things to say about that.

I know it says in the book of Romans (I think -chapter 13?) "The powers that be are ordained by God" and should therefore be obeyed as your Christian duty.

If you were a Lutheran living in Germany in the 1930's would you have followed that dictum? The early Christians didn't even obey it when it came to worshipping Caeser so who are you to decide and under what principles do your feel free to to judge other people?

I'm not comparing those issuing mandatory mask wearing and vaccines to Nazis, just pointing out that this isn't as clear cut as you think it is to justify your judgment against others.
The question is who is going to be God? Sinful narcissistic self-justifying man, or Jesus who says love thy neighbor? Principles by which to judge? Scripture of course! Not man’s self serving interests or self righteousness. YMMV.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:06 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:41 pm

I don't know about the religion stuff, but check out this quote from Goebbels:
Up to now we have succeeded in leaving the enemy in the dark concerning Germany's real goals, just as before 1932 our domestic foes never saw where we were going or that our oath of legality was just a trick. We wanted to come to power legally, but we did not want to use power legally . . . They could have suppressed us. They could have arrested a couple of us in 1925 and that would have been that, the end. No, they let us through the danger zone. That's exactly how it was in foreign policy too . . . In 1933 a French premier ouch to have said (and if I had been the French premier I would have said it): "The new Reich Chancellor is the man who wrote Mein Kampf, which says this and that. This man cannot be tolerated in our vicinity. Either he disappears or we march!" But they didn't do it. They left us alone and let us slip through the risky zone, and we were able to sail around all dangerous reefs. And when we were done, and well armed, better than they, then we started the war.
- Hilgruber, Germany In The Two World Wars
That's what I was getting at in the other thread when I said
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:29 am
Is it better to "suck it up" and comply with all of the government edicts (locking down for 15 days... then one more week... put this mask on... then until 4th of July... wait no that's cancelled too... until Thanksgiving... 2 masks at a time now... until half the population is vaccinated... now 75%... now 100%), get an injection and present your papers or else you lose your job/position in society... or you can't come into this store... and you can't participate in government... thinking that compliance would lead to life getting better/returning to normal?

Or would it have been better if people had immediately revolted against government officials, slashing health inspectors tires if they tried to fine a pub, refusing to ever wear a mask/mask shaming, protesting every politician in favor of it, etc? So that politicians and technocrats were sent an unambitious signal that people would not tolerate this overreach for one bit, much less 18 months and counting?
IMO, it's undeniable that a lot of countries happen to have people in positions of power who are susceptible to Nazi-like behavior when the right psychological triggers are tripped. Or maybe they didn't get a mental circuit tripped, but rather were always like that and were waiting on the right circumstances to begin.
And as for him who lacks the courage to defend even his own soul: Let him not brag of his progressive views, boast of his status as an academician or a recognized artist, a distinguished citizen or general. Let him say to himself plainly: I am cattle, I am a coward, I seek only warmth and to eat my fill.
Solzhenitsyn, Live Not By Lies
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:47 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:30 am

This gets more to what I was commenting on in my response to Dualstow: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10580&p=235739#p235714

It's the flagrant narcissism that pushes my buttons, not just on mask wearing, it's more on people choosing on their own to not follow the rules of a business establishment, or the government.

My view is if one does not choose to follow the rules (and I'm not talking about paying taxes) then don't frequent the establishment. It's everything from running red lights, to catch and release at our borders, to going out in public when you are sick and coughing in someone's face. My hypothesis is the narcissism is fine tuned partly due to people being on their devices 24/7 and not interacting with other people. Whatever happened to enjoying a chat in the front yard with a neighbor instead of sitting in the basement glued to a video game? We are losing the joy of intimate contact with other humans and losing respect for other humans with an over abundance of "I'm the most important person on the planet and don't you forget it; it's all about me dude". I'm all for not having things mandated, but at the same time I'm all for personal responsibility in following established laws and business guidelines that are put in place by those people the voters picked or established by the business owner whenever possible.

If a town wishes to have local ordinances that are different from the next town over, so what? If one restaurant or sports arena wants to have everyone enter wearing a mask and then taking it off only when eating/drinking, and another requires no masks, so what? I may think it's quite stupid one way or the other, but so what? I'm not the king of anything, especially you. :)

As for the vaccinated or unvaccinated - personal choice, but realize that either way comes with consequences, likely some that are unintended.

Aretha had it right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOUqQt3Kg0

https://www.kalw.org/news/2021-11-22/sa ... sk-mandate

Do you feel the same way about wearing a mask in your home if you lived in Santa Cruz and your govt required it? I mean you could sell your house and move to a neighboring county I guess. Is it narcissistic of me to ignore my government’s edicts inside my own home? Where exactly is the line between me wanting to make my own choices in life and being “narcissistic”?
Last edited by jalanlong on Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:38 am

jalanlong wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:47 pm

Do yoy feel the same way about wearing a mask in your home if you lived in Santa Cruz and your govt required it? I mean you could sell your house and move to a neighboring county I guess. Is it narcissistic of me to ignore my government’s edicts inside my own home? Where exactly is the line between me wanting to make my own choices in life and being “narcissistic”?
Or you could champion a recall of the people that put this policy in place; but we all know how effective recalls are in the land of fruits and nuts. ;)

Re. the narcissistic line question - Do an objective assessment of a subjective disorder, or a subjective assessment of an objective question (re. the 'exactly' statement)? But then again, a narcissistist would want a perfect score to be sure, or would be pissed at those who came up with such a stupid nebulous test or symptoms description instead of using common sense; or would need to pass the bill so we would know what's in it. Or, one could inquire of Obama who drew a red line and then blinked when it was crossed. :)
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20366662

Now, I need to mask up even though I'm boosted. I'm off to the other room and there could be crickets to protect. ;D

Blessings, and hope you have a marvelous day.