Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by jalanlong » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:01 pm

Last week my son had an allergy cough that wouldn't go away so I went around lunch and took him out of school for the day because I didnt want him annoying others. Once I left I was informed by the school nurse that if a child leaves with a Covid symptom (of which she provided a list which contains just about any symptom a child would ever have for leaving school down to stomach ache) they cannot return without a negative Covid test. So instead of going home to let him get better, I had to go find a Covid test facility that tests your saliva instead of going up your nose. And my insurance paid $163 for that.

Masks aside, this is the kind of stuff that drives me crazy. There can be no return to anything resembling normal until we stop assuming that every person out there is sick until proven healthy. For eons kids have gone to school with sniffles, coughs and scratchy throats. And adults have gone to to work with the same. Now I have to have a temperature check to accompany my son to the dentist, have my skin checked for cancer spots or take my dog to the veterinarian. We have to wear masks because the air is potentially dangerous. And he still has to sit 6 feet apart (now recognized as an arbitrary number) from his peers at school.
Personally I don't want to live in a world where society is unwilling to take even the most minuscule amount of risk .
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:32 pm

Pug,

Find a different gym? My wife's gym doesn't use masks, but did require vaccination proof to do so.

Sure, some is theater. And I do not know if that lack of people for jobs is mainly Covid related or what, but I will agree there are many places that have help wanted signs. Everyone thought once that extra money from the gov stopped people would go back, right? Did not seem to happen?

Jalanlong, my daughter has been sick twice so far this school year (with what we superficially determined was a standard cold/cough) and no one batted an eye. Sorry for your situation.
------------------
It's not perfect, but repressive makes it sound like Nazi level lockdowns which just are not happening in IL.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:37 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:50 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:42 pm

Pug, is this all about masking with you?

Yes yes and yes. I HATE masks. Try doing cardio indoors with a mask on. It is unbearable, but more importantly, unnecessary. When I play pickleball I am not within 6 feet of anyone and we've all been vaccinated. It is theater. A restaurant hostess yelled at me to put one on over the weekend while walking to the table, but then it's okay to take it off the minute you sit down. WTF? More theater. This is not science, it's politics.

And everyone is short of employees bc reasons that all boil down to the pretense that Covid will kill you or someone else or that your day care will shut down. My granddaughter's preschool kicked her and her classmates out for 2 weeks bc one kid tested positive in her class. Negative tests don't matter, automatic 2 week quarantine for anyone who may have come in contact. Both parents work outside the home? Too bad, nobody cares. But let's make these little kids wear masks bc reasons.

SomeDude wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:58 pm

Yeah PG. So what if the government is just forcing you to put something on your face before you voluntarily enter other people's private private property with their consent and with other people doing it voluntarily. I mean so what? I'm sure it will stop there.

Honestly can we pay you mask lovers to leave the country and never come back? If you want to wear a face diaper because you're scared that's fine. Why do you think you or anyone has a right to force anyone else. You're sick.

Bingo. If you are afraid and want to wear a mask, or stay home and hide for that matter, please do so. But leave me the f*ck alone.

I know that in the last 20 years you have flown on airplanes FAR more than I have.

Do you similarly consider it repression all that one has to go through post 9/11 to fly on a plane? Or, for that matter what one now either has to endure before entering a music or athletic venue and is now prohibited from bringing into those venues?

Maybe you do not because those are not every day events for you.

I endure them enough times to find them highly annoying. I don't know yet if I'd consider them repressive.

I've always thought it was all a gross overreaction to how 9/11 was successfully carried out and a prototypical case of "fighting the last war".
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:10 pm

I don't know if I would call it "repression" but IMO the airport security measures after 9-11 have in common with mask mandates that they are both primarily theatrical in nature without that much to do with real security/safety.

So with the mask mandates you now get a double dose of theater when you fly.

A 5 hour flight to Denver in May meant I had to have the mask on non-stop for about 8 hours, including wait time inside the airport. That was really hard because I've never had one on for more time than it took me to shop in the stores when they were mandated. We're flying to Maui at the end of the month and that's 10 hours on the plane and probably about 4 in the airport terminals so I'll be setting a new personal record for mask wearing.

Add the TSA stuff on top of it and flying is really getting unpleasant. For some reason I seem to get pulled over for extra screening every time. I'd quit doing it altogether but I feel like I'm in my peak travelling years right now and need to take advantage of it while I can.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:23 pm

Netjets anyone? Man I would be up for that kind of travel.

Yeah on the ground the DFW area is not much different from IL regarding masking.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:29 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:10 pm

I don't know if I would call it "repression" but IMO the airport security measures after 9-11 have in common with mask mandates that they are both primarily theatrical in nature without that much to do with real security/safety.

A 5 hour flight to Denver in May meant I had to have the mask on non-stop for about 8 hours, including wait time inside the airport. That was really hard because I've never had one on for more time than it took me to shop in the stores when they were mandated. We're flying to Maui at the end of the month and that's 10 hours on the plane and probably about 4 in the airport terminals so I'll be setting a new personal record for mask wearing.

Add the TSA stuff on top of it and flying is really getting unpleasant. For some reason I seem to get pulled over for extra screening every time. I'd quit doing it altogether but I feel like I'm in my peak travelling years right now and need to take advantage of it while I can.

In both cases my belief is that those in power are not doing so so as to exert their power but, instead, are doing so out of the fear that they never wanted to blamed for not doing enough.

It comes down to the saying..."We get the government we deserve."

Therefore if people were not going to critical when something goes wrong because the government did not take some measures (which are oftentimes overkill) then the government / people in power would not take those measures.

However, since they know they will be blamed if they had not taken those measures and something happens...their only choice is to take those measures.

It's for the same reason our country has wasted so much money on hardening our school for an event with an extremely low probability of happening.

Those education administrators really would like to be spending that money on something else, e.g., something that would have a direct impact on their students' educations but they know that if they do not implement all these costly - both in terms of time and $$$$$$ - measures and the one in a million event occurs...then all the parents will ask...."Well why had you not implemented all these measures?" and no doubt call for those in power's resignations.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:00 pm

I can tell you what Pritzker's benchmark is: His polling numbers.

When the majority of IL residents start disapproving of Pritzker's mask mandate and that starts to negatively affect his polling numbers, he will lift the mandate (based on "the science", of course).
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:20 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:42 pm

So what, I gotta carry a mask for some places?
The masks have nothing to do with the virus.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/2 ... ring-niqab
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:22 am

So....

1) Priztker (and EVERY other governor and most officials) have used the pandemic politically, some more some less. It is what it is. There is NO action any governor could be taking at this point or at any point that wouldn't be deemed political by the "other" side. Not possible. Jesus Christ himself could come down from heaven and say you need to wear masks and there would be right wing evangelicals who'd probably say screw you.

2) I hardly think asking people to wear masks equates with us making women wear burkas in short order. Everything is so hyper conspiratorial!

3) We will get back to not wearing masks. And now there will be a pill as well as a vaccine (oohhh, maybe it is filled with Ivermectin?!) I see either this mask wearing delta episode being the last, or very near the last, at least for Covid related stuff. But also be prepared for some segment of the population to continue wearing masks, or not going out to eat, or to bars, or whatever. Their choice.

Turn off the news. Turn off the conspiracy websites. Turn off Facebook. You'll come out of your haze and hopefully wonder how you got sucked in. Sorry to preach. Go ahead and rip me a new one.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:08 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:22 am
So....

1) Priztker (and EVERY other governor and most officials) have used the pandemic politically, some more some less. It is what it is. There is NO action any governor could be taking at this point or at any point that wouldn't be deemed political by the "other" side. Not possible. Jesus Christ himself could come down from heaven and say you need to wear masks and there would be right wing evangelicals who'd probably say screw you.

2) I hardly think asking people to wear masks equates with us making women wear burkas in short order. Everything is so hyper conspiratorial!
#1. I think the problem therein lies that doing nothing and allowing people to make their own choices about their health is somehow seen as political when it is anything but. A governor doing absolutely nothing at all and allowing citizens to make their own risk assessment calculations and act accordingly is the opposite of political. Inaction is not action although the mainstream press would like to tell you that it is the worst form of action.

#2. Not sure mandates are exactly "asking". I guess it is like my parents asking me if I wanted to do my chores or get the belt.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:57 am

Speaking of Conspiracy theories.....

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coron ... COVID-case
China PCR test orders soared before first confirmed COVID case
Report on government contracts show surges in Wuhan-area purchases from May 2019
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:07 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Jesus Christ himself could come down from heaven and say you need to wear masks and there would be right wing evangelicals who'd probably say screw you.
It's incredible how backwards you have it.

Covid worship is the religion of the left. Vaccines are the sacrament and masks are the religious garb. Conversion is pushed by threat of violence and destruction of people's lives.

If Jesus came down and supported masks all you lefties would throw them off and scream "my body my choice" just like the other main sacrament of the left.....baby killing.

The Covid religion is fundamentally anti-human and satanic in nature. You can tell by the cult members and the fruits of their labor.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:37 am

Here's how I see it, feel free to disagree.

We've already gone through one cycle where we were able to remove masks. Delta is waning. Appetite for Covid reporting is waning. A new form of treatment is also on the way.

Why on earth work yourself up so much about the "face diapers?" All these analogies about religion and Covid worship, is this getting you anywhere or anything other than worked up, pissed off and bitter?

If that's how you want to live this episode of time, it is still a free country.

But it damn ain't hard to put a mask on to walk into a grocery store. That's all I'm saying.

If you recall, I was the first person to strip my mask off in Costco when they changed policies early this spring. I am no mask/Covid worshipper by any means.

But jeez, it is only a stupid mask. They will go away.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:54 am

The most important line, IMO:

is this getting you anywhere or anything other than worked up, pissed off and bitter?
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:23 pm

I've not suffered anything to be majorly pissed off about but if I was a business owner and the government declared my business to be non-essential and shut me down I'd be mightily pissed off. If I was a landlord and couldn't collect rent from my tenants I'd also be mightily pissed off.

And if I lived in Australia I'm sure I'd also be pissed off.

I also think this is a very healthy reaction and I'm glad to see it.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:28 pm

pp4me wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:23 pm
I've not suffered anything to be majorly pissed off about but if I was a business owner and the government declared my business to be non-essential and shut me down I'd be mightily pissed off. If I was a landlord and couldn't collect rent from my tenants I'd also be mightily pissed off.

Agreed!

And I have none of those problems, and have had a stable, in the office job the whole time.

I am just tired of (the generally older white male (I am one)) who can't get past this (I am surrounded by some), this is the end of civilization, etc, etc while they come home, or are already working from home, or retired, with a high salary, saying woe is me, life sucks so bad, I gotta put a mask on to go to Trader Joe's...
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:58 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:50 am
Cortopassi wrote:

1) Priztker (and EVERY other governor and most officials) have used the pandemic politically, some more some less. It is what it is.
And this is okay with you?!!
Cortopassi wrote:

3) We will get back to not wearing masks.
Really? When? Not based on any science, that's for sure. Why aren't we there already? Many states aren't imposing mandates, why is IL?
Cortopassi wrote:

I see either this mask wearing delta episode being the last, or very near the last, at least for Covid related stuff.
OMG, IDK which is worse, your statement I bolded or your statement I italicized. Do you realize what you're implying now, which you clearly didn't when you typed it?
Cortopassi wrote:

But also be prepared for some segment of the population to continue wearing masks, or not going out to eat, or to bars, or whatever. Their choice.
The only thing in that entire post that made sense.
But jeez, it is only a stupid mask. They will go away.
But will they? Not according to your statement above.
I am happy to answer your questions:

1) If I say it is not? What is my recourse? Waiting for the next election cycle? Protesting in Springfield? It has not affected me to that extent. Have you written letters to the governor and/or senators expressing your concern about how the lockdowns were hurting people? I did.

3) Politics. Sure, he's playing some politics here. Could he pull the mandate off tomorrow? Yes. Will he? Who knows. Science is secondary here, granted.

4) Pug, what can I say? This is reality. Are you going to climb up on that hill and say you're never going to submit to a mask or lockdown again ever, ever, ever, even if the "next" one is proven to be 100x deadlier? Basically the world gets one shot to scare you and then fuck off for the rest of time?

5) Masks will go away. Not a doubt in my mind.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:20 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:50 am
Cortopassi wrote:

But also be prepared for some segment of the population to continue wearing masks, or not going out to eat, or to bars, or whatever. Their choice.
The only thing in that entire post that made sense.
I hope this is true because it helps identify the whack jobs to stay away from.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:23 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:12 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:28 pm
pp4me wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:23 pm

Agreed!

And I have none of those problems, and have had a stable, in the office job the whole time.

I am just tired of (the generally older white male (I am one)) who can't get past this (I am surrounded by some), this is the end of civilization, etc, etc while they come home, or are already working from home, or retired, with a high salary, saying woe is me, life sucks so bad, I gotta put a mask on to go to Trader Joe's...
Not the point, but thanks for playing. You aren't pissed bc, as you said above, none of this really affects you. You still have a high paying job that never closed, and for some reason, aren't bothered by the increasing tyranny imposed upon you. Justified or not.
Libs don't care about things like freedom, and justice, and tyranny, and right vs. wrong, or their neighbor, or anyone else in general, or the future, or math, objective reality, cogent arguments, facts.............
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:37 pm

I realize again why I stay away from this forum for lengths of time.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:05 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:29 pm
pp4me wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:10 pm

In both cases my belief is that those in power are not doing so so as to exert their power but, instead, are doing so out of the fear that they never wanted to blamed for not doing enough.

It comes down to the saying..."We get the government we deserve."

Therefore if people were not going to critical when something goes wrong because the government did not take some measures (which are oftentimes overkill) then the government / people in power would not take those measures.

However, since they know they will be blamed if they had not taken those measures and something happens...their only choice is to take those measures.

It's for the same reason our country has wasted so much money on hardening our school for an event with an extremely low probability of happening.

Those education administrators really would like to be spending that money on something else, e.g., something that would have a direct impact on their students' educations but they know that if they do not implement all these costly - both in terms of time and $$$$$$ - measures and the one in a million event occurs...then all the parents will ask...."Well why had you not implemented all these measures?" and no doubt call for those in power's resignations.
I would agree 100%. My local school district spends an exorbitant amount of money on having a cleaning crew come in each night and deep clean the school. It was proven over a year ago that surface spread of Covid was very rare. However, one school employee told me that they cannot afford to have an outbreak of Covid cases at the school and for it to get out that they had no special cleaning procedures in place for the virus.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:22 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:37 pm
I realize again why I stay away from this forum for lengths of time.
I genuinely appreciate your input to the conversation.

Thanks for staying around.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:28 pm

pp4me wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:57 am

Report on government contracts show surges in Wuhan-area purchases from May 2019
Gee Whiz next you're going to tell us that some people clearly had advance knowledge of the Sept. 11 attacks before they happened?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/unusual ... d-1.397265

"On September 6-7, when there was no significant news or stock price movement involving United, the Chicago exchange handled 4,744 put options for UAL stock compared with just 396 call options - bets that the price will rise. On September 10, an uneventful day for American, the volume was 748 calls and 4,516 puts, based on a check of option trading records."

Pretty amazing that they found the terrorists passports or whatever in the rubble and knew by the end of the day that UBL did it and was in Afghanistan but somehow we still don't know who made all these massive "lucky" bets.

At this point if people think WuFlu wasn't planned by someone......well let's just say ignorance must really be bliss.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:02 pm

SomeDude wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:28 pm
pp4me wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:57 am

Gee Whiz next you're going to tell us that some people clearly had advance knowledge of the Sept. 11 attacks before they happened?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/unusual ... d-1.397265

"On September 6-7, when there was no significant news or stock price movement involving United, the Chicago exchange handled 4,744 put options for UAL stock compared with just 396 call options - bets that the price will rise. On September 10, an uneventful day for American, the volume was 748 calls and 4,516 puts, based on a check of option trading records."

Pretty amazing that they found the terrorists passports or whatever in the rubble and knew by the end of the day that UBL did it and was in Afghanistan but somehow we still don't know who made all these massive "lucky" bets.

At this point if people think WuFlu wasn't planned by someone......well let's just say ignorance must really be bliss.
I didn't remember that one but here is a follow up paper explaining findings further.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/50 ... b_contents
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:17 pm

Desert wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:31 pm
I had hoped things may have improved in the post-Trump era, and that's why I returned, but it's worse than it's ever been.
Yeah, I don't get it. Something broke somewhere along the way in the past number of years where online civility has gone down.

As for me, as I've mentioned many times, that's why I use my real name. With very few exceptions I will be able to stand by what I've written 10/20/30 years from now without wincing.