Harvard psychologist to parents: Do these 7 things if you want to raise kids with flexible, resilient brains

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Harvard psychologist to parents: Do these 7 things if you want to raise kids with flexible, resilient brains

Post by vnatale »

Am interested to see if any of these 7 things conflict with the worldviews held by those here...

Vinny

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/08/harvard ... 1624880815
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Harvard psychologist to parents: Do these 7 things if you want to raise kids with flexible, resilient brains

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I wondered how quickly they'd bring up diversity and anti-racism. It was #6.
  • Give them opportunities
  • Talk and read to your child. A lot.
  • Explain things.
  • Describe the activity, not the person.
  • Help your children to copy you.
  • Expose children (safely) to lots of people.
  • Applaud agency.
They're all probably ok. You can probably figure out which ones are really important by considering what would happen if you DIDN'T focus on doing them. I suspect if you don't try to expose your infant to people of different races they'll still be fine. I'd only consider entertaining sociology studies if they replicate (a preposterous percentage of sociology/psychology studies fail to replicate).
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Harvard psychologist to parents: Do these 7 things if you want to raise kids with flexible, resilient brains

Post by vnatale »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:07 am

• Explain things.

• Applaud agency.

They're all probably ok. You can probably figure out which ones are really important by considering what would happen if you DIDN'T focus on doing them. I suspect if you don't try to expose your infant to people of different races they'll still be fine. I'd only consider entertaining sociology studies if they replicate (a preposterous percentage of sociology/psychology studies fail to replicate).

I would agree with that.

There has never been any psychological counseling system proven to be successful.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Simonjester wrote:
Teaching them "emotion words" (i.e., sad, happy, frustrated) is especially beneficial. The more they know, the more flexibly they can act.

Put this advice into action by elaborating on the feelings of other people. Talk about what causes emotions and how they might affect someone: “See that crying boy? He is feeling pain from falling down and scraping his knee. He is sad and probably wants a hug from his parents.”
teach them to feel.... #2
teach them to reason... #3 (in order to have empathy)

raising kids to easily be swayed by appeals to emotion.... :-X
Hah, I think I skipped over the "read to them" one because it just seemed obvious. Looks like they tucked some feminizing advice in there! Very sneaky ;D
Simonjester wrote:
look at the source CNBC, main stream media .. of course they want to teach prioritizing feminizing/feels, it is the bread and butter of their business model "if it bleeds it leads" emotional response = clicks or reads = money.. people who think with their "feeels" is also the go to population for propagandists to source useful idiots...
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

vnatale wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:14 am
Kriegsspiel wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:07 am

• Explain things.

• Applaud agency.

I agree.

There has never been any psychological counseling system proven to be successful.
sweetbthescrivener

Post by sweetbthescrivener »

They left out: "stay married" and 'go to church."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Simonjester wrote:
Kriegsspiel wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:18 am
Simonjester wrote:
Teaching them "emotion words" (i.e., sad, happy, frustrated) is especially beneficial. The more they know, the more flexibly they can act.

Put this advice into action by elaborating on the feelings of other people. Talk about what causes emotions and how they might affect someone: “See that crying boy? He is feeling pain from falling down and scraping his knee. He is sad and probably wants a hug from his parents.”

teach them to feel.... #2
teach them to reason... #3 (in order to have empathy)

raising kids to easily be swayed by appeals to emotion.... :-X

Hah, I think I skipped over the "read to them" one because it just seemed obvious. Looks like they tucked some feminizing advice in there! Very sneaky ;D

look at the source CNBC, main stream media .. of course they want to teach prioritizing feminizing/feels, it is the bread and butter of their business model "if it bleeds it leads" emotional response = clicks or reads = money.. people who think with their "feeels" is also the go to population for propagandists to source useful idiots...

Somewhat related.

How do you react when people tell you how they "feel" when they express their thoughts?

I've always believe that you "feel" emotions and you "think" thoughts.

Therefore someone always gets severely downgraded by me when they tell me how they "feel" and they are NOT expressing emotions but expressing thoughts. I want to know that they "think" or "believe", not what they "feel".
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:16 pm

BTW, for the clueless among you, this is the proper way to post: removing all the extra nested irrelevancy.

You mean like this???!!!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:11 pm

Good boy Vinny. You are trainable after all.

It's a question of when you come in late and there has been a lot of quoting and you only have a sentence to say do you:

1) Take your 10 seconds to say it?

2) Take 30 seconds in an attempt to successfully remove?

3) Take 60 seconds when it does not work the first time?

4) Give up after 90 seconds when it does not work again.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

vnatale wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:20 pm
MangoMan wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:11 pm
Good boy Vinny. You are trainable after all.
It's a question of when you come in late and there has been a lot of quoting and you only have a sentence to say do you:

1) Take your 10 seconds to say it?

2) Take 30 seconds in an attempt to successfully remove?

3) Take 60 seconds when it does not work the first time?

4) Give up after 90 seconds when it does not work again.
Good questions. First rule: Avoid TL;DNR posts. Summarize! Give your perspective in a sentence or two. I almost never read posts that go on for multiple paragraphs. YMMV
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:09 pm

Good questions. First rule: Avoid TL;DNR posts. Summarize! Give your perspective in a sentence or two. I almost never read posts that go on for multiple paragraphs. YMMV

I go both ways. If I am interested in the topic...I read it all....Both the one sentence posts and the multi-paragraph ones. If I am not interested in the topic then I read no posts no matter what their lengths.

As a book reader...long posts do not deter me.

The only suggestion I would have for some people is to do more paragraph-breaking. Too long paragraphs can be both intimidating and too difficult to read.

For me....I more value here the posts that are on the longer side than the ones that are on the shorter side.

When I exert the effort to get to a particular post I want a fair amount of substance, i.e., some content rather than a few lines. Same way I react when I click on some online article and it turns out to be short. The ratio of (content / time I spent just getting to the article) is just too low.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Re. the Thread Topic: These would be my 7 principles to instill in children.

1. Love God and love neighbor, act accordingly; be humble when you fall short.
2. Be prepared to fail at some things, learn from mistakes, then get up and try again.
3. Always keep your word, your promises.
4. Don't allow yourself to see the glass as half-empty.
5. Be open to other people's thoughts and ideas but discern the path forward based upon objective (vs. subjective) truths.
6. Think about a topic thoroughly, then don't be afraid to speak your mind (i.e. measure twice, saw once).
7. Take your work seriously, but not yourself.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

vnatale wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:25 pm How do you react when people tell you how they "feel" when they express their thoughts?

I've always believe that you "feel" emotions and you "think" thoughts.

Therefore someone always gets severely downgraded by me when they tell me how they "feel" and they are NOT expressing emotions but expressing thoughts. I want to know that they "think" or "believe", not what they "feel".
"I feel like" is more of a figure of speech nowadays, IMO. I'm sure I do it without thinking about it, but I'd wager that someone saying "I think" vs "I feel" and then expressing either an emotion or a thought is interchangeable most of the time. IE, someone saying "I think (feel like) that's bad" on the emotion side, and "I feel like (think that) the current interest rates are blah blah" on the thinking side.

My issue is more with the emotions that the author wants parents emphasizing with their kids. Empathy, sadness, etc. If the emphasis was on classical emotions like shame, duty, and honor I'd be more on board.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

vnatale wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:35 am Am interested to see if any of these 7 things conflict with the worldviews held by those here...

Vinny

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/08/harvard ... 1624880815
As for my worldview if you really want to know, a Harvard psychologist would be the last person I would ever listen to for advice on raising kids, or almost any subject for that matter.

Re: Thomas Sowell on the subject if you've never read any of his books. One book addressing this in particular is "The Vision of the Anointed". "Facts and Fallacies" might be another. Probably others too but I remember them most.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Richard Feynman discusses pseudoscience.

I especially enjoy this video, but his other lectures and comments on cargo cult science are also delightful.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:07 am I'd only consider entertaining sociology studies if they replicate (a preposterous percentage of sociology/psychology studies fail to replicate).
Another one bites the dust?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

This is one of the best articles I've read this year. In addition to the replication crisis, this guy lays out why social sciences are becoming increasingly untrustworthy in other ways.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:22 am This is one of the best articles I've read this year. In addition to the replication crisis, this guy lays out why social sciences are becoming increasingly untrustworthy in other ways.
Really insightful and informative.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:22 am
This is one of the best articles I've read this year. In addition to the replication crisis, this guy lays out why social sciences are becoming increasingly untrustworthy in other ways.

Long, long, long article!

A few things...

1) Psychology is a "soft" science. I believe that no form of psychological counseling has ever been proven to be effective.

2) Princeton (and some other colleges) were initially founded as Christian colleges and then became secular.

When these colleges were formed as Christian entities they were presumably dominated by conservatives. In more than a sentence or two can anyone explain why Princeton and other colleges evolved from being conservative to being dominated by liberals? What were the forces that caused higher education to be dominated by liberals with the conservatives being swept aside?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

vnatale wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:57 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:22 am This is one of the best articles I've read this year. In addition to the replication crisis, this guy lays out why social sciences are becoming increasingly untrustworthy in other ways.
Long, long, long article!

A few things...

1) Psychology is a "soft" science. I believe that no form of psychological counseling has ever been proven to be effective.

2) Princeton (and some other colleges) were initially founded as Christian colleges and then became secular.

When these colleges were formed as Christian entities they were presumably dominated by conservatives. In more than a sentence or two can anyone explain why Princeton and other colleges evolved from being conservative to being dominated by liberals? What were the forces that caused higher education to be dominated by liberals with the conservatives being swept aside?
Surely you meant DEVOLVED! ;D ;D ;D

However, to address your question, gravity my friend, gravity. Water (and fecal matter) run downhill. ;)